Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Thread 2.0, Trade Deadline 4/12 3PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
What isn't he realizing? That $3.38m in space is there because the Oilers have a short roster. If you're taking Holland at his word, he doesn't want to trade draft picks. So who of value are the Oilers throwing out at teams for impactful skaters?

Mete is on waivers right now so Jones doesn't look overly attractive. Unless you're selling low on Bear, we've got an abundance of players who've cleared waivers this season populating our bottom six. Benson and Marody are probably our big pieces being offered right now and they need to be protected from Seattle before they become eligible for waivers next season.

The Oilers need to get multiple teams to retain salary and that has cost two teams multiple picks this far for arguably lesser players.

Do you want the Oilers to have zero draft picks this year?
The roster is 11/7/3 currently so we could run 12/7/2 until the playoffs.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
My Taylor Hall framed photo has been on the floor in the washroom at my office where it was banished to in 2017. My Smyth one spent four years in purgatory there as well - coincidence ? Only time will tell.
You'd have found much better value hanging it in the urinal . Less cleanup due to "poor aim" .

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
So you're fine having no draft picks, running a short bench that still bleeds GA when its top two forwards are on the bench?
We would still have draft picks. Adding Hall would theoretically improve our goal differential.

Hall @ 50% = 4 M send Turris the other way and you can have a longer bench..

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We would still have draft picks. Adding Hall would theoretically improve our goal differential.

Hall @ 50% = 4 M send Turris the other way and you can have a longer bench..
Three picks essentially decimates the Oilers' draft haul this summer. And that's based on the value given up for lesser players. Assuming Buffalo's willing to take on unnecessary salary and term only increases the ask.

And you're doing that to 'improve' the goal differential of a part of the roster that requires the least support. The bottom half is already outmatched night in, night out by lesser teams.

I'm not saying the Oilers shouldn't look at an upgrade in the top six, if available. But the big fish acquisition makes the least bit of sense, both short and long-term. There are too many holes on this roster for Holland to be pushing his chips in.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What isn't he realizing? That $3.38m in space is there because the Oilers have a short roster. If you're taking Holland at his word, he doesn't want to trade draft picks. So who of value are the Oilers throwing out at teams for impactful skaters?

Mete is on waivers right now so Jones doesn't look overly attractive. Unless you're selling low on Bear, we've got an abundance of players who've cleared waivers this season populating our bottom six. Benson and Marody are probably our big pieces being offered right now and they need to be protected from Seattle before they become eligible for waivers next season.

The Oilers need to get multiple teams to retain salary and that has cost two teams multiple picks this far for arguably lesser players.

Do you want the Oilers to have zero draft picks this year?

Nah we'll just stay where we're at while teams in our own division or the bolts for example get even better. Both leafs and bolts were literally at the top of their cap, but still didn't prevent them from making their moves to get better. I could care less about the first round pick this year when the draft is weak and most of the players are unknown.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Nah we'll just stay where we're at while teams in our own division or the bolts for example get even better. Both leafs and bolts were literally at the top of their cap, but still didn't prevent them from making their moves to get better. I could care less about the first round pick this year when the draft is weak and most of the players are unknown.
I feel like some of these old Gms just keep the excuse to stand pat as job security for another year- you can't screw up by not making themove, while young guys like Dubas have to try and prove themselves. So they are much more creative and have some risk tolerance.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Hall has all the power here. He can pull an OEL and say he’ll only accept a trade to Edmonton of the remaining destinations.

Alternatively if he doesn’t want to be here badly enough then maybe we shouldn’t want him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The Oilers have 2 MVP top elite talents. Best player in the world. They have Nurse emerging as a #1.

We are trying to get support players here while some of our players cannot do dik all to help the big guys. Just wasting away.

I never understand this fettish with keeping a ton of draft picks when your window should be opening. What are they going to do during this window? When will we see most of or any of these players? in 4 years? 5 years?

I am not talking about going after some big rental. I am saying use picks/prospects, etc if you can land a solid supporting player.

It's insane that we have the top 2 scorers in this league for years, Nurse playing how he is now, etc, and a lot of people cry over DRAFT PICKS.

Reactions: EagerPug

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They've also shown to have far fewer weaknesses on their current rosters. Notice how neither one of them is trading for a scoring winger? They're not concerned about the team's ability to produce primary offense. They're focused on shoring up their depth so they're not a one or two-line attack going deep into postseason.

'Renting' Taylor Hall isn't going to help with the Oilers' depth issues. Their checking lines will still routinely be outscored. The defensive depth will still be poor and still be one injury away from being a complete gongshow. The PK will still be a struggling unit and the team will still be losing draws at a significant rate.

Throwing draft picks at Hall is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. It mirrors what the team did when Hall was here the first time, trying to outscore the humorous flaws the team constantly had instead of taking the time to address them all.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The one thing I don't get about a Hall deal:

Is Buffalo really that hung up about having to take back Alex Chiasson in a deal?

It seems like a very, very minor thing for us to have the flexibility to make the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad