Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Pre season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I have liked Chiasson over the years but not sure what he was like last season. Still, just a PTO - happy with more competition at camp.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Lot of competition at the bottom end of the roster this camp, I wonder if they are shopping Kassian.

Kassian and a pick/prospect for Faulk?

My first thought as well. First Upshall now Chiasson for about half of what Kassian makes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Probably fruitless but I'd ask for permission to meet with Karlsson and bring McDavid along and/or have him tape a message. Maybe you can change his mind, if you can I'd give Ottawa whatever. This core group simply isn't good enough to likely win anything, go big or go home.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Probably fruitless but I'd ask for permission to meet with Karlsson and bring McDavid along and/or have him tape a message. Maybe you can change his mind, if you can I'd give Ottawa whatever. This core group simply isn't good enough to likely win anything, go big or go home.

Tape a message? lol. That would be such an Oilers thing to do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tape a message? lol. That would be such an Oilers thing to do.

Or have him on the call and let them talk. He's the best forward in the world. Karlsson is maybe the best d-man in the world. Let that marinate in Karlsson's mind in a concrete way and see if it doesn't get the gears going.

It's not like Edmonton and Ottawa are wildly different cities either.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
McKenzie: "By all accounts, Nurse's contract negotiations are not going well at all. So we'll have to wait and see on that."

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
TBH I'd consider moving out assets like, say Kassian, Sekera and futures for EK even if there was no chance of re-signing him. Team gets the best D man in the league to go with the best F to run wild for a year and then they get cap relief when he walks.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I'm feeling a trade itch coming on - you have to wonder if they have a roster player ready to ship out with scotty and chiasson coming into camp.

... or not.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McKenzie: "By all accounts, Nurse's contract negotiations are not going well at all. So we'll have to wait and see on that."
He's since added...

It was a nothing comment IMO. Nurse is getting a bridge deal and there's nothing in his game that should convince Chiarelli to pay him more than Adam Larsson.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
TBH I'd consider moving out assets like, say Kassian, Sekera and futures for EK even if there was no chance of re-signing him. Team gets the best D man in the league to go with the best F to run wild for a year and then they get cap relief when he walks.

I'm willing to trade anyone not named McDavid and Draisaitl. This core as is will never get it done. Go home or go big, Nurse, Klefbom, Puljujarvi, EDM 1st 2019, Yamamoto, Larsson, whatever ... put it on the table and let them choose 3 pieces.

Let McDavid talk to Karlsson, lets see if he doesn't ease his NTC list in that regard.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I'm willing to trade anyone not named McDavid and Draisaitl. This core as is will never get it done. Go home or go big, Nurse, Klefbom, Puljujarvi, EDM 1st 2019, Yamamoto, Larsson, whatever ... put it on the table and let them choose 3 pieces.

Let McDavid talk to Karlsson, lets see if he doesn't ease his NTC list in that regard.
I'd give them another season before declaring that

they did pretty damn well 2 years ago

Reactions: snipes

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd give them another season before declaring that

they did pretty damn well 2 years ago

That team isn't even the same team anymore, Sekera is probably done, Maroon is gone, Eberle is gone, Letestu is gone, Lucic is likely starting the downside of his career.

Forget it. Elite talent wins in this league, give McDavid and Draisaitl someone legit and high end to push forward, it's never gonna happen with a bunch of role players.

Let McDavid and Karlsson meet. Lets see if Karlsson can't have a "lightbulb" moment where he realizes this could be a good chance for him to win some Cups.

Reactions: Darkwinter

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
That team isn't even the same team anymore, Sekera is probably done, Maroon is gone, Eberle is gone, Letestu is gone, Lucic is likely starting the downside of his career.

Forget it. Elite talent wins in this league, give McDavid and Draisaitl someone legit and high end to push forward, it's never gonna happen with a bunch of role players.

Let McDavid and Karlsson meet. Lets see if Karlsson can't have a "lightbulb" moment where he realizes this could be a good chance for him to win some Cups.
I'm all for Karlsson

just don't think that Klefbom and Larsson are disposable yet

edit: and I'm talking core here, Lucic Maroon Letestu Eberle weren't core guys, at least not in my mind

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That team isn't even the same team anymore, Sekera is probably done, Maroon is gone, Eberle is gone, Lucic is likely starting the downside of his career.

Elite teams win in this league. You don't win a championship because you have three legitimate top twenty NHL talents surrounded by garbage due to salary cap limitations. Championship teams develop their supporting casts.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Wow you'd be willing to give up a nothing player and a guy who is probably going to retire early after back to back season ending injuries for the best defenseman in the league. This is my assumed response of every Senator fan on the planet.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Elite teams win in this league. You don't win a championship because you have three legitimate top twenty NHL talents surrounded by garbage due to salary cap limitations. Championship teams develop their supporting casts.

Except Pittsburgh. And to an extent Washington too.

There are no "elite teams" that are 1 great player, 1 good player, + a bunch of role players. That formula will never work.

We're spending dumb amounts of money on the Lucics, Sekeras, Stromes, Russells of the world and probably overpaying for Kassian, Caggiula, etc. too.

Find me a team built like the current Oilers that have this much salary tied into ho-hum players and is a legit threat for a Cup. Blow it up, if you have a fraction of a chance at Karlsson, take it.

1 of Nurse of Klefbom or Larsson

1 of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto

EDM 2019 1st (top 5 protected)

Let them have it. Then start looking around for ways to dump Sekera and/or Lucic. This whole core is nothing special, dump it if need be.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto
Lucic - Drai - Pulj
Khaira - Strome - Rieder
Upshall - Brodziak - Caggiula/Kassian/Aberg/Rattie/Chiasson

Mix and match as you like, but something has to give in the bottom 6 as camp shakes out, and likely before the team heads to Europe.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Wow you'd be willing to give up a nothing player and a guy who is probably going to retire early after back to back season ending injuries for the best defenseman in the league. This is my assumed response of every Senator fan on the planet.

Not sure what else they could get for a rental especially since the team is broke.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

That's all well and good but you can't win without elite talent at the top of the roster and the Oilers are short in that department.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

On one hand you are defending Vegas as being legit and they don't have a single elite player on their roster, but you don't think a team with the best player in the world can go anywhere. Which is it?

Reactions: Ck1 and Del Preston

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except Pittsburgh. And to an extent Washington too.

There are no "elite teams" that are 1 great player, 1 good player, + a bunch of role players. That formula will never work.

We're spending dumb amounts of money on the Lucics, Sekeras, Stromes, Russells of the world and probably overpaying for Kassian, Caggiula, etc. too.

Find me a team built like the current Oilers that have this much salary tied into ho-hum players and is a legit threat for a Cup. Blow it up, if you have a fraction of a chance at Karlsson, take it.

1 of Nurse of Klefbom or Larsson

1 of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto

EDM 2019 1st (top 5 protected)

Let them have it. Then start looking around for ways to dump Sekera and/or Lucic. This whole core is nothing special, dump it if need be.
Pittsburgh? They drafted and developed their starting goalies, Crosby, Malkin, Letang...added depth through Maatta, Sheary, Rust, Guentzel. Where is the high end talent they gutted their roster to acquire?

Washington? Drafted Holtby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetzov, Carlson, Orlov. Where's the super high end piece they gutted their roster to acquire? The one the year they didn't trade for a Shattenkirk type add.

Successful teams don't gut their rosters to fit a formula. The idea that a formula exists is lunacy. If it were that simple, every GM would be following it. Elite defensemen are developed. That happens through experience. Do you really think Brent Seabrook would've been viewed as an 'elite' defenseman on an average hockey team? No. Good teams make these guys 'elite'.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's all well and good but you can't win without elite talent at the top of the roster and the Oilers are short in that department.
Says who? Hockey is as simple as it gets. The team that scores the most goals at the end of the game wins. Score more, give up less. I don't see anything about a prerequisite of having X amount of 'elite' players. It's a lazy simplification.

Reactions: Ck1

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Takes more then just talent to win. It takes every player playing to the best of there abilities it take team chemistry a good system put in place, it takes confidence and a little puck luck. Talent alone doesn't win cups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad