Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Totally valid point. :nod:
I do think though that Holland has to bring someone in sooner rather than later.

If things look like they’re falling apart then I’d agree but I’d avoid trading the 1st I’d possible. But again I think you gotta show some confidence in your guys when their backs are up against it.

if I was looking at a trade I’d prefer a guy like Staal who might be available if Wild are throwing in the towel. He can fill a top 6 C and W role but is also cheap enough where you could have him at 3C for the next year.

if it’s a rental I like Granlund. He can also play C or W and I believe we’d have a decent chance of re-signing him at a decent deal.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't think we are trading any of our top tier D prospects unless we are getting a really great young forward on a nice deal.
It's unlikely he'd waive for Edmonton anyway. But Anaheim is clearly selling and has a few players Edmonton could use.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If things look like they’re falling apart then I’d agree but I’d avoid trading the 1st I’d possible. But again I think you gotta show some confidence in your guys when their backs are up against it.

if I was looking at a trade I’d prefer a guy like Staal who might be available if Wild are throwing in the towel. He can fill a top 6 C and W role but is also cheap enough where you could have him at 3C for the next year.

if it’s a rental I like Granlund. He can also play C or W and I believe we’d have a decent chance of re-signing him at a decent deal.

Again...valid points. After tonight its a pretty tough next 4 games though.
Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Boston.

I would like to see Holland complete something by the weekend.
I like Granlund as well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I really don't understand this thinking. This team had holes with McDavid healthy, so it's not like much has changed big picture-wise.

The only thing that has changed is the level of urgency and maybe the price they have to pay (which makes not making a deal sooner even dumber in retrospect).

I wouldnt have considered it yesterday but now I completely agree with you.
Its funny how quickly things can change.

The reason I wanted them to make a deal (even for a rental) earlier in the season is that it could have helped them bank points for a time like this.

Two or three more wins in December would have been nice to have.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The reason I wanted them to make a deal (even for a rental) earlier in the season is that it could have helped them bank points for a time like this.

Two or three more wins in December would have been nice to have.

I hear you.
I would just rather see Holland make the right deal and if waiting is necessary then I am fine with it.
He has to do something though.

In terms of the Connor injury...I am really curious to see how the team reacts to that. Do they rally and come together or do they fall apart?
Its Leons team now...I want to see how this plays out.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McDavid injured we need to hold onto ALL draft picks

Do not panic!!!

Yeah, this season is done like dinner now anyhow. Trading assets would be monumentally stupid at this point. We were a border-line NHL team *with* McDavid healthy. Holland is pretty patient though, so (for once) I actually have faith in our GM doing the right thing and not trading our 1st rounder or higher-end prospects.

Literally yesterday I agreed with being buyers and giving McDrai a punchers chance in the playoffs, but things are obviously different now. If McDavid comes back this year (not convinced there isn't additional issues with his PCL), we're gonna be pretty far out of the playoff picture.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Imagine the momentum if this team survives this?

Add a winger and McDavid comes back from the grave for the playoff push.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Again...valid points. After tonight its a pretty tough next 4 games though.
Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Boston.

I would like to see Holland complete something by the weekend.
I like Granlund as well.

definitely tough sledding that’s for sure but I think any team can beat any other team on any given night in this league and many teams might underestimate a mcdavidless oilers.

Reactions: guymez

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I hear you.
I would just rather see Holland make the right deal and if waiting is necessary then I am fine with it.
He has to do something though.

I don't see what waiting does except increase the chances of the team falling out of it. There are seven games to the TDL and out of those, there are two that don't have loss written all over them. In terms of timing, this injury could not be worse.

In terms of the Connor injury...I am really curious to see how the team reacts to that. Do they rally and come together or do they fall apart?
Its Leons team now...I want to see how this plays out.

Without any cavalry, a .500 run between now and the end of the month is probably the best-case scenario at this point.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, this season is done like dinner now anyhow. Trading assets would be monumentally stupid at this point. We were a border-line NHL team *with* McDavid healthy. Holland is pretty patient though, so (for once) I actually have faith in our GM doing the right thing and not trading our 1st rounder or higher-end prospects.

Literally yesterday I agreed with being buyers and giving McDrai a punchers chance in the playoffs, but things are obviously different now. If McDavid comes back this year (not convinced there isn't additional issues with his PCL), we're gonna be pretty far out of the playoff picture.

The reason you add now is to hold the line until McDavid can come back. I don't know why that's such a hard thing to understand.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't see what waiting does except increase the chances of the team falling out of it. There are seven games to the TDL and out of those, there are two that don't have loss written all over them. In terms of timing, this injury could not be worse.

A .500 run between now and the end of the month is probably the best-case scenario at this point.

The team is in a very good spot. A spot that the vast majority of the board didnt see happening.
All the team needs to do is tighten up defensively and play .500 hockey until Connor gets back.
That is completely doable and (based on how the season has gone so far) will keep this team in a good spot.
Adversity is what builds good teams. Now its gut check time for this team and we get to see how much character they have.
I'm intrigued.

In terms of making a deal...as I said in another post I would like to see Holland complete one of the deals he likely has in the mix within the next week,

Reactions: Oilhawks

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019

Edmonton is on Oilers 10 team no trade clause and also only 1 of 2 c wild have. He won't be traded unless wild get another c

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We should have been looking at a hockey trade since last May of a roster defender for a cap controlled forward. This changes nothing vis a vis what SHOULD be happening. It seems we were rental shopping though so maybe this will dampen that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad