ATD: Rules - Discussion - Trades Thread

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
My only backup on offense is a top 10 QB of all time. So, I imagine I can have Tarkenton at QB, Baugh as a half back, Walter Payton (who has 9 (!) career passing TDs) in the backfield)...all can run, all can throw...oh boy, am I about to re-invent the game itself...

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Lenny Moore is a great pick this late. 5x AP1 who is one of the best receiving backs ever and averaged 4.8 yards per carry over his career. His career rushing totals would be higher if he hadn't spent his prime splitting carries with a fullback who was also a multi time All Pro.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lenny Moore is a great pick this late. 5x AP1 who is one of the best receiving backs ever and averaged 4.8 yards per carry over his career. His career rushing totals would be higher if he hadn't spent his prime splitting carries with a fullback who was also a multi time All Pro.
He was probably my next pick.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
OG/OT Jim Parker

First ballot Hall of Famer
8x First-Team All-Pro (both guard and tackle) [received consideration as a rookie in 1957 and 1966, meaning that every season of his career that he played at least four games, he received all-pro consideration)
8x Pro Bowls
2x champ ('58, '59 Colts)

Rated 24th best player of all time on The Sporting News Top 100 Football Players Ever list (1999), ranked as the 3rd best offensive linemen.

"Finishes":
- In the three years prior to Jim Parker being drafted 8th overall, the Colts were 8th out of 12 teams in total offensive yards, worst in win%.
- In the three years after Jim Parker, the Colts were 7th in total yards, 3rd in win%.
- With Jim Parker, the Colts were 1st in total yards, 2nd in win%.

The Post-Standard - 04 Sep 1965 said:
Last year, for example, Lenny Moore scored 20 touchdowns and Jim Parker led the way on 18 of them.

...the best guard in football...

Oakland Tribune - 24 Nov 1964 said:
All he does week in, week out is keeping John Unitas from getting run over by a couple of tons of football beef. He's so adept at it that he could pile up a buffalo stampede. He could probably divert freeway traffic.

To give you an idea, Jim Parker was a No. 1 draft choice of the Baltimore Colts eight years ago. Coaches don't usually waste a first round draft choice on an offensive linemen.

John Unitas is the world's greatest thrower of a football. But, without Parker he might the world's greatest swallower of footballs.

Reactions: VanIslander

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Surprised Vanderjagt got picked. Sure he was accurate, but I remember him being pretty awful in clutch situations.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Surprised Vanderjagt got picked. Sure he was accurate, but I remember him being pretty awful in clutch situations.
Yeah, most accurate kicker ever when he retired by a pretty fair margin.

He missed three field goals in the playoffs (0 XPs).

He missed a 50 yard field goal in the 2000 wild card game in OT.
He missed a 41 yard field goal in a 41-0 loss in the windiest playoff game in recent memory in 2002.
Then, of course, the famous career ending miss from 46 against Pittsburgh.

Though, Nick Harper should have just returned Bettis's fumble for a touchdown...but he tried to cut back and deke Ben "I lurnt how to rode bike" Roethlisberger who could have never caught him if he just ran away from him...

So, yeah, he has two misses in the clutch. If he hits that 46 yarder against Pittsburgh, I don't think there's anything against him of note. Hell, he had a 37 of 37 run in 2003. There were only two teams above 90% FG% that year, he hit a perfect hundo. He had a big leg and he was super accurate. One shank doesn't change that for me...

Reactions: DaaaaB's

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Lots of ink on guards and punters here, two least important positions in terms of WOR (wins over replacement), by the advanced analytics of PFF, looking at the difference between elite and average players at each position, the upshot being: don't sweat passing over the best there, at the opportunity cost of more impactful talent gaps at other positions (in the draft, or free agency).

All that said, the right guard i just drafted, in the 27th round, Stan Jones, is NOT a:
As listed on the pick list, is incorrect.

All 4 of his all-pro seasons and 8 of his 11 seasons was at RG. He played only his rookie season at RT, and his last two seasons at DT. He is at best injury stop-gaps at those positions in an all-time context.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Are those analytics about the present-day game only?

The first ever NFL MVP was a center, after all.

Also, for the record, I am just knocking out bios in the order of my selections and where I already had info handy from my original research...

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I was planning to go CB/LB with my pick but there was like 7 linebackers I was comfortable taking, and I didn't know which one would be viewed the best, so went with kicker!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Are those analytics about the present-day game only?

The first ever NFL MVP was a center, after all.
Excellent point.

The linebacker is a case in point: it used to be a difference maker position, but these days if a linebacker is drafted in the 1st round then PFF's and other's analytics howl at the waste of opportunity to choose players whose greatness will be more impactful.

We are doing an ALL-TIME draft, not judging the past by the standards of today.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Oops, sorry, I was literally making my pick while tony went, so I likely goofed the call system. But Tony always DMs who's next, being the vet that he is.

I also must assume that in the millions of posts in this board's history, I assume the words "Blanton" and "Collier" have never been used together haha

Last edited:
Reactions: tony d

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
You guys aren’t helping me decide my linebacker choice, when nobody is taking one!!!!!

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Williams as Defensive Tackle helps with being able to switch from 3-4 to 4-3 if necessary, so

1692638420484.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad