Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
from everything ive heard, isnt SD stacked? I know they got the stigma but he could be the piece to put them over the top. Especially if theyre still in talks with Harper

Take a look at the rotation. They have lots of good pieces and a phenomenal farm system, but they desperately need a couple good, reliable starters.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Great contract.

Stroman for someone from the Padres OF glut.

Stroman to the Padres made so much sense before and makes even more now... I still understand that teams may not be willing to pay an appropriate price, but it's such a perfect fit.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Absolutely great signing for San Diego. They are the type of team who should have been targeting Manny and Harper due to their age. Manny will still be in his prime when the Padres top prospects start hitting their stride in MLB. I’m happy to see they didn’t throw in the towel after the Hosmer fiasco.

As mentioned before, a Stroman trade makes even more sense for them now. Especially if they can give them a window to extend him.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Stroman to the Padres made so much sense before and makes even more now... I still understand that teams may not be willing to pay an appropriate price, but it's such a perfect fit.

Agreed, i like the rumor of Allen and Baez for Stroman. I would still do that today, maybe even settle for one and a less arm like Quantrill.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fangraphs has San Diego sitting at 76 projected wins for 2019. Wonder where they end up after the Machado signing.

Got to be a huge blow to the White Sox though they controlled their own destined, im sure if they offered the same or more he would sign their.

I guess with the reports that Harper is likely to go to Philly. Good to keep these guys in the NL.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Prospect Limbo: The Best of the Post-Prospects

David Paulino, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays
Video
Acquired from Houston in Roberto Osuna trade
Age25Height6′ 7″Weight222Bat / ThrR / RPV40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tool Grades
FastballSliderCurveballChangeupCommandSits/Tops
505055504590-95 / 96
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Paulino graduated off of prospect lists in 2017 and spent extended time on the Injured List twice last year, in part due to shoulder soreness. In the past, he’s also had a team-imposed suspension for a rules violation, surgery to clean up bone spurs, and a PED suspension, so he has been tough to see for various reasons over the last three years. He got a brief September look with Toronto late last season after the Jays acquired him in the Roberto Osuna deal, and his stuff was intact.
He’ll likely be a reliever moving forward, just as a way of keeping him healthy by limiting his innings, but he has a starter’s four-pitch mix led by a very pretty 12-6 curveball that doesn’t play as well as its spin would suggest (it averages over 3,000 rpm) because it’s fairly easy to identify out of his hand. Instead, we may see more changeups from him than anything else. The repertoire depth may enable him to play a multi-inning role, but I have just a 40 on Paulino at this point.

Hoffman and Frazier are on this list too.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
He is 26 years old. Why would they regret it in 3-4 years? Are you assuming that he's going to suck at 29/30, which should be his peak?

Not so much more that after massive paydays players seem to take the foot off the gas and lose that drive. Time will tell but paying someone 30 million a year you better hope he doesnt fall off . Not to mention he's gonna have all the spotlight on him. Highest paid player and all. . I just cant see it ending well for the Padres. If he stays the pace he opts out in year 5 and tries to get another big payday if he does dwindle they are stuck with him. But time will tell.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Remember when people thought Preller was bad? Good times

Guy can build a farm but the Myers extension and Hosmer deal looks horrible. He better hope Machado works out because that is 56.5M, 73.5M (3 years) spent on Machado, Hosmer and Myers (whom alternate being a league average hitters and an above league average hitters) and Myers sometimes doesnt have a position, well he does now... for now.

Preller can make great trades and build a farm. But his signings have been suspect imo.

But i will say this looks to be a very deadly lineup very soon;

C: Mejia
1B: Hosmer
2B: Urias
SS: Tatis Jr.
3B: Machado
LF: Myers
CF: Margot
RF: Reyes

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Padres are the team to target in a trade for Stroman right now. Locking up Machado has put them in win now mode. Stroman would give their rotation a boost after failing to land Baumgartner and Kluber.

Get it done Shatkins

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He signed for $3.9 million and his father made a significant amount of money (yes, a lot of that likely went to trainers or 'buscones' or whatever). He isn't fat because he doesn't have the financial means to eat healthy.

He was always destined for this build. A lot of it is obviously pure genetics, if you look at some of those pics of him as a child.
Sure. I believe his mom travels with him and cooks for him. I was speaking solely to the minors in general in response to the other poster's point.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
oSP10Cr.png

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I wasn't a fan when everyone started bashing this guy. And I am telling everyone that this will be the biggest blunder the Jays have ever made in history. Letting this guy go to a rival and paying him to do so. Tulo is going to have a bounce back season, and I really hope he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad