Euro: Round of 16 - Austria v. Türkiye - Jul. 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
1720001689787.png

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Not a narrative, let alone a new one. It's simply reality. And as I said, happens all the time. It's part of why we even watch games.
Fans implying that the better team lost is their reality.

How far does Turkiye have to go for anyone to take them seriously? No one has given them any respect all the way through.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Fans implying that the better team lost is their reality.

How far does Turkiye have to go for anyone to take them seriously? No one has given them any respect all the way through.
It's an argument as old as sports themselves, but there's merits to both perspectives.

I think the respect for Turkey is limited by the fact they were troubled for long stretches by the same Georgia team that Spain waltzed over, that Portugal easily dispatched them, that they struggled to make an impact vs mediocre Czechs and were lucky to escape Austria.

They obviously have some skilled players and these games are all home games for them, so one should never underestimate their chances in a game, but it's pretty clear to me that they're not one of the top sides in the tournament. Of course, it's kind of a moot argument to have because I guess from your perspective Greece were the best side in 2004, so really one just has to wait and see the outcomes of the games as the only determining factor in team quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad