Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The Tanev deal is worse than any of the defensemen's on this list.

I'd rather have Dumba or Lyubushkin for those contracts. The Edmundson one stinks but is still less term and less money. The Zadarov contract will likely age better than Tanev's too.

Skjei is a much better defenseman and for a $1M more than the two rejects from Dallas should have been made prioroty.

The potential for the worst deal here is Monahan's imo.
It's definitely not. Toronto got best defenseman on the market for 4.5m, in a league where everyone gets out of a bad contract towards the end fairly easily. The icing on the cake is it's a below 35 contract.

You don't overpay bad players, Dallas did that twice and LA killed themselves with that contract. Those three players are going to be bad and not worth their contract the entire time, while Toronto will at least get 2 to 3 years of good play from Tanev.

Yes, Monahan contract is up there for one of the worst deals in FA. Doesn't have to play for anything anymore, as when he was on MTL

Reactions: Forgotusername

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm sure it's been discussed by what about Daniel Sprong as a cheap forward option? 40+ points in each of the last two seasons.

Plenty of talk around here and the league. He's probably the next best thing after losing out of Skinner. He's got big warts but there's no denying he's skilled and a fast skater. Not sure he's a great fit for what the Leafs need, so it would have to be fairly cheap to be worth it. He's also another right handed RW and the Leafs are a lot more thin on the left.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad

I'd rather have Dumba or Lyubushkin for those contracts. The Edmundson one stinks but is still less term and less money. The Zadarov contract will likely age better than Tanev's too.

Skjei is a much better defenseman and for a $1M more than the two rejects from Dallas should have been made prioroty.

Lol comparing Dumba and Lyu with Tanev...

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Plenty of talk around here and the league. He's probably the next best thing after losing out of Skinner. He's got big warts but there's no denying he's skilled and a fast skater. Not sure he's a great fit for what the Leafs need, so it would have to be fairly cheap to be worth it. He's also another right handed RW and the Leafs are a lot more thin on the left.
It's odd how he can't seem to sign a longer team deal, he's bounced around to 5 different teams since being drafted and soon to be 6. Maybe it's because of his injury history, but when healthy he's put up some good points, and even when he's not, he's on pace for 40-45 for the season.

I think he gets 2.5m-3m on a 1 year deal again. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a 2-3 year deal on a lower AAV though, maybe get him some job security.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's odd how he can't seem to sign a longer team deal, he's bounced around to 5 different teams since being drafted and soon to be 6. Maybe it's because of his injury history, but when healthy he's put up some good points, and even when he's not, he's on pace for 40-45 for the season.

I think he gets 2.5m-3m on a 1 year deal again. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a 2-3 year deal on a lower AAV though, maybe get him some job security.

I'll be honest, there's no way the Leafs can do that for someone that has his issues. He's not exactly a playoff performer either.

It would have to be a 1 year sub 2M contract. If he can get more somewhere else, that's fine. I'd rather just roll with what we have at that rate or find an alternative.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

You seem very down on Tanev....

I think it's best to wait and see.

The cap is going way up in the next number of years and 4.5 in 6 years is nothing.

As was talked about too... to get Tanev they traded for his rights. People scoff at this but teams do that knowing the interest.

GMs are talking everyday. They went and got there guy. If he can do 3 to 4 of those years and play well. I'm good with that.

Leafs have the luxury to do this. They also signed him before he's 35. The league can f*** off about cap stuff. The rules are the rules.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
They do need cap but moving him still doesn't get them there. Idk why they move McCleod over Ceci or Kane. Both of them get them below the cap I believe.
Because they got a 9th overall pick 2 years ago for him. Might have been too good for them to pass up?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We had him as an Agm under JFJ.

But I don't think the deal is cracked up, as some are saying.

20 year old right shot centre, former 9th overall pick in 2022 and performed pretty well in the AHL in a short stint.

For a good 3C? Seems like a great move.

I don't know what Jackson was directly responsible for under JFJ but his work as the interim GM is pretty damn great.

Reactions: chamchibap

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Because they got a 9th overall pick 2 years ago for him. Might have been too good for them to pass up?
Maybe, but McLeod has been their best player outside of their obvious 2 or guys who get to play with them. Could be a very good trade though if Savoie can translate to the NHL.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
20 year old right shot centre, former 9th overall pick in 2022 and performed pretty well in the AHL in a short stint.

For a good 3C? Seems like a great move.

I don't know what Jackson was directly responsible for under JFJ but his work as the interim GM is pretty damn great.
Yeah, they picked Alex Nylander in that range too, and if they traded him for Darren Helm in 2017, people would've thought that as a fleece.

Let's see how Savoie does.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Toronto Maple Leafs would be willing to trade three players to create cap space to improve their team, according to NHL insider Chris Johnston.

The Maple Leafs are currently over the salary cap by $1.5 million, according to CapFriendly, but that does include the Jani Hakanpaa whose contract has not been made official due to injury concerns.

However, according to Johnston, Toronto is open to trading Calle Jarnkrok, David Kampf, and Timothy Liljegren to create cap space.

“They would look at moving Kampf, Jarnkrok, or Timothy Liljegren in the right deal. I should be very clear, that is not to say they are trying to get rid of them at all costs, but I think that because of the Leafs’ salary cap, they are pretty tight up against it. Really, at this point of the off-season, they blueline looks different, obviously made the moves in net. But, I think they will have to get creative to address any changes they want to make at forward,” Johnston said on The Chris Johnston Show on July 4.

“Those types of players could be had, but I don’t have any reason to believe anything is close or will happen. Entering this offseason, they were open-minded about that. The reason those players have the contracts they do, they do provide a function, it’s just if they could upgrade by moving those players to create the cap room, I think they do so,” Johnston added.

Jarnkrok has two years left on his deal that pays him $2.1 million per season. Kampf also has two years left on his deal that will pay him $2.4 million per year.

Liljegren, the lone defenseman mentioned, just signed a new two-year deal worth $3 million per season, but despite the new contract has been mentioned in trade rumors.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
McLeod probably doesn’t mind the trade. Sure he’s leaving a Cup contender, but he’s now way closer to home, he’ll get more playing time. And he probably gets a long term contract from Buffalo considering they just gave up a 9th overall pick

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad