Dubas' Timeline

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
For some reason I liked that dude, can't remember why?

He was an absolutely horrible hockey player but seemed like a really, really nice guy.

The Penguins were trying to consistently keep "enforcer" types in the lineup back then and I figure that was the idea with McKenna and he was at least game enough to TRY in that department here and there but wasn't any good at it. He just happened to be a really huge dude.

Think he ended up playing in the UK IIRC.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What does Pettersson have to do with Karlsson? Are you speaking to their ability to play together, or just the fact that they’re both Swedish?

Pettersson has everything to do with Karlsson. It is about play style. When you have a unique player like Karlsson, his D partner is critical. If we don't sign Pettersson, we might spend the rest of Karlsson's contract searching for a suitable partner.

Or, you can keep what you already have.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He was an absolutely horrible hockey player but seemed like a really, really nice guy.

The Penguins were trying to consistently keep "enforcer" types in the lineup back then and I figure that was the idea with McKenna and he was at least game enough to TRY in that department here and there but wasn't any good at it. He just happened to be a really huge dude.

Back when we sucked I called myself the Steve Webb of the Penguins forums.

• Haha
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
For some reason I liked that dude, can't remember why?
He's tall. 6'8"

Dude wore the C here at one point.

You know... just as a little history lesson for those so eager to plunge headfirst into Shitsville.
Also, he only wore the C one time, so they could auction it off after the game for charity. So, take it easy about how means anything.

He went to like six countries, coached Australia national team... Then became a cop in Canada

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure Kessel didn't want to get traded and his M-NTC was set up for a) teams he'd begrudgingly accept b) teams who he was fairly sure didn't want him

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also, he only wore the C one time, so they could auction it off after the game for charity. So, take it easy about how means anything.

It was? You'll have to forgive me... I blocked out most of those years.

I'll stick by my larger point, though. I still don't think some people who are all high and mighty about tossing everything overboard for whatever trash they can get know what they are really asking for. And we got LUCKY last time around, too.

To be fair, though... the league is so much different, now. Not as easy to bottom out like that era of Penguins did.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'll stick by my larger point, though. I still don't think some people who are all high and mighty about tossing everything overboard for whatever trash they can get know what they are really asking for. And we got LUCKY last time around, too.

To be fair, though... the league is so much different, now. Not as easy to bottom out like that era of Penguins did.

I presume you mean bottom out and get rewarded, not just bottom out. Arizona have shown how easy that is, just without the reward.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I presume you mean bottom out and get rewarded, not just bottom out. Arizona have shown how easy that is, just without the reward.

Yes sorry... exactly correct. The days of getting your tank on and collecting consistent 1 2 and 3 picks are mostly over. And the cap has created parity via having a floor to hit and not being able to run a like 15-20M dollar payroll full of ECHLers and castoffs while the rest of the league spends like five times that or more.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I'm sure Mike Sullivan will figure it out.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Pettersson has everything to do with Karlsson. It is about play style. When you have a unique player like Karlsson, his D partner is critical. If we don't sign Pettersson, we might spend the rest of Karlsson's contract searching for a suitable partner.

Or, you can keep what you already have.
I think we have to see how the defense shapes up this season before making that commitment.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Pittsburgh Penguins, 2015-16
I wouldn't call that a rebuild of any kind. They traded for Kessel, added complementary pieces in Bonino, Hagelin, Cullen. The core was absolutely still the same.

Maybe Boston? But then again you've got to hit on picks like McAvoy and Pastrnak and not have those picks turn into bottom six forwards/bottom pairing defensemen or career AHLers like we seem to do with picks in those range.
This is probably the closest I can think of. Both McAvoy and Pasta went on to be core contributors and elite players.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
We will see how it goes this year, but on paper Washington may have done it. They got bailed out by Backstrom and Oshie LTIRetrining.

As mentioned NYR, but they have an advantage of good hockey players forcing their way to their team to live in NYC.
Washington might pull it off but we'll have to see. They made the playoffs last year but it's well known that them, Isles, and us were all just garbage fighting for the first round exit.

Rangers also had two top 5 picks. That's not really a soft rebuild as much as an actual one. Though they haven't turned out as expected Laf is starting to look good.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not sure about that.

Arizona’s issue has been spending. Their execution since Armstrong came on has been absolutely phenomenal.

If a team that has not been above .500 for four seasons hasn't bottomed out, I officially do not know what the term means.

I wouldn't call that a rebuild of any kind. They traded for Kessel, added complementary pieces in Bonino, Hagelin, Cullen. The core was absolutely still the same.

I'd say both Kessel and Murray were core players. Bonino, Hagelin, Daley were all high end contributors (albeit tailing off immediately after that season). 10 of the Penguins that started the final game of the '15 playoffs were not on the roster in '15.

That sort of turnover and finding of quality is exactly the sort of rebuild - or let's say reload - Dubas is talking about doing. Adding a couple of extra core pieces and really refreshing the quality around the core. Current Pens would probably need more but there's examples of more (including that Pens team if you extend the amount of time spent reloading).

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

This is probably the closest I can think of. Both McAvoy and Pasta went on to be core contributors and elite players.
Trading for Kessel, Bonino, Hagelin, Daley, Cullen, Cole, Lovejoy and bringing up Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Murray all within one year is pretty insane. If you took those quality of players and put them on this older core the team would still be vastly improved. I'd say Kessel and Hornqivst were part of that teams core for sure - they don't win those Cups without Kessel, no shot even. He was arguably more important than Letang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad