Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 173: Ilya Pautov, RW, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The thing is too...

it is really not tough to get tape on them today.

I dont have the facilities an NHL team has... but I could - for example - clip together a 13 hour video of Ilya Pautov within 40 minutes ahaha.

There is zero excuse anymore in terms of relying on tournament samples. Unless someone is playing a comically low level you can always get infinite tape of them now.

Pretty much every Euro league all the way down to their u-17 levels have every game fully filmed and available... (u-16 and u-15 is where it starts to get iffy... and the Belarusian u-20 league is an exception too, their games are hard to get your mitts on)

MHL is however a far harder league to produce in than the QMJHL (and tbh the level is higher than the QMJHL as well while being lower scoring)...

but while Pautov is interesting the most likely outcome is probably an okay KHL player down the line. But that is a nice likely outcome for a later pick really.
Yeah, that's my point.
With both players, enough to keep an eye on them (Gendron got jacked around a little last year, not physically ready for AHL, bored with the Q).
Pautov dominates the MHL at 18, good start, but still has to get to KHL by 20 to be on a similar trajectory.
Both long shots, same with Ciernak, etc.
But they have a legitimate shot.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Pautov scored 3 points (1+2) in home opener. Krasnaya Armiya beat Krylya Sovetov 8-2
IMG_20240904_195544.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MHL is a bit above the CHL and USHL, a notch below the best NCAA leagues (NCHC, Big East, Big Ten).
D-0, ppg is solid performance, D+1?, maybe 1.25 ppg?
Though if Pautov is for real, he should get promoted at some point this season.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Though if Pautov is for real, he should get promoted at some point this season.
It looks like he's light years away from KHL. I haven't liked his game recently. I'm watching another his game right now and the pre-season impression evaporates every shift. It feels like he loses 100% of puck battles, getting pushed around even at the MHL level. Also he's not a play driver. Maistrenko and Dontsov (went undrafted in 2024 draft) are the real leaders of the team while Pautov looks more like a passanger on the Maistrenko line, who spends a lot of time with the KHL team and without him Pautov doesn't score many points. He shows some flashes of his skill but he looks like a long-term project even for KHL.

I really hope I'm wrong.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
NHLe is a scoring multiplier, not a league strength indicator. The MHL and Russian hockey in general is low scoring so naturally their scoring multiplier will be higher as their players play in other leagues across the world. Also some people's NHLe models are outdated and use a range of data that isn't relevant to some leagues anymore. It's why Michkov graded out better than Bedard in a lot of models when almost no one would take Michkov over Bedard. It overates KHL production based on data from a decade+ ago. There's studies that show hockey in Russia is declining so even if that was true at one point (it wasn't) it's unlikely that it still holds true.

Also another example of what happens when stats get in the wrong hands. People having no idea what a stat does or represents and going out and making absolute declarations.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad