Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 173: Ilya Pautov, RW, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'd be curious what the success rate of scorers outside the top 100 is the last few years.

Before the league caught on that rule changes had opened up the ice for smaller players, you could steal a player like Bratt.
But I'd suspect that the better offense first undersized prospects are no longer overlooked.

It would be nice if Gendron or Pautov turn out to be steals, but I remember Kase getting hype before he crashed and burned.
Kase didn’t crash and burn, not to say he was an NHL player. He wasn’t given a chance. They played a defenseman at left wing, someone who had not played forward since he was 10, instead of Kase.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Kase didn’t crash and burn, not to say he was an NHL player. He wasn’t given a chance. They played a defenseman at left wing, someone who had not played forward since he was 10, instead of Kase.
No other NHL team didnt see fit to give him a chance either.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Assist #1

Assist #2

Assist #3

Pautov is #91 if you're wondering

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Are any of his games on this channel? I'd like to watch some of his shift by shift videos.

Edit -- Yes they are. Here is one of his games:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
13m into this game -- Kid is good. Real good. I don't understand how he is a 6th round pick.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
13m into this game -- Kid is good. Real good. I don't understand how he is a 6th round pick.

Has great edges. Puck handling and skating seems to be there. Not sure about the other facets. Has a weak-ish shot? Haven’t watched nearly enough.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Has great edges. Puck handling and skating seems to be there. Not sure about the other facets. Has a weak-ish shot? Haven’t watched nearly enough.
I haven’t either. Only watched the first period. Will watch more as the season moves on.

What I can say is he knows where others are on the ice and can extend plays. I don’t know if he’s consistent in that regard, but he looked like he had an ability to do that consistently.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH

His profile fit is for a small, offensive winger. High playmaker skillset, high skating, high stickhandling, high passing, good speed, average shot -- however a few scouts noted a marked improvement from the previous year. I think he fell because of he's considered small, and he doesn't have elite speed.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
His profile fit is for a small, offensive winger. High playmaker skillset, high skating, high stickhandling, high passing, good speed, average shot -- however a few scouts noted a marked improvement from the previous year. I think he fell because of he's considered small, and he doesn't have elite speed.
on skill alone, he should have been a mid round, pick. I haven’t seen much, but I know high end skill when I see it, he’s got it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The current Flyers seemingly put an emphasis on that tourney.

Been tooting that horn since 2021. Wouldn't even shock me if the York pick also was influenced by the u18s.

It's tough to get tape on some international guys, but I place virtually zero emphasis on tournament samples these days if I've seen a player in his natural habitat. Like it never happened. Learned that the hard way. It's a red flag to prefer that to in-season tape/stats.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can't get excited about MHL, we're talking slightly above the CHL/USHL?
PPG is pretty good at 17, but nothing overwhelming.
Will have to take it up a notch at 18, VHL at 19, KHL at 20.

Gendron at 18-19, 76g 69-31 100

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Been tooting that horn since 2021. Wouldn't even shock me if the York pick also was influenced by the u18s.

It's tough to get tape on some international guys, but I place virtually zero emphasis on tournament samples these days if I've seen a player in his natural habitat. Like it never happened. Learned that the hard way. It's a red flag to prefer that to in-season tape/stats.

The thing is too...

it is really not tough to get tape on them today.

I dont have the facilities an NHL team has... but I could - for example - clip together a 13 hour video of Ilya Pautov within 40 minutes ahaha.

There is zero excuse anymore in terms of relying on tournament samples. Unless someone is playing a comically low level you can always get infinite tape of them now.

Pretty much every Euro league all the way down to their u-17 levels have every game fully filmed and available... (u-16 and u-15 is where it starts to get iffy... and the Belarusian u-20 league is an exception too, their games are hard to get your mitts on)

MHL is however a far harder league to produce in than the QMJHL (and tbh the level is higher than the QMJHL as well while being lower scoring)...

but while Pautov is interesting the most likely outcome is probably an okay KHL player down the line. But that is a nice likely outcome for a later pick really.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Agree. Better to be playing well than not obviously. I don't know that it is above the USHL or CHL.

Let it play out see what the does in the next few years.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad