Traverse City “Tournament”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Not watching. Is Danielson looking better at all?

Lombardi has been the standout in this scrimmage. Danielsson hasn't looked bad, but hasn't took over the game either... so I don't know what better means. Looks like the Dallas's best players are focused on blanketing Danny, but their lower players can't seem to contain Lombardi.

Hunter Johannses and Doucet scored. Doucet's goal is what Mickey would call "johnny on the spot".

Reactions: lilidk

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Lombardi has been the standout in this scrimmage. Danielsson hasn't looked bad, but hasn't took over the game either... so I don't know what better means. Looks like the Dallas's best players are focused on blanketing Danny, but their lower players can't seem to contain Lombardi.

Hunter Johannses and Doucet scored. Doucet's goal is what Mickey would call "johnny on the spot".
I mean considering he’s supposed to be one of, if not our top prospect, that’s disappointing.

Nice to see Lombardi succeeding at least. He did well game 1 too.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think Danielson has been around long enough to know who he is. I'm not holding a scrimmage game to label a 'disappointment'. I remember Brendan Smith was a stud in these games, and look what he become. Ift these games matter, Smith would be enjoying an Adam Fox -type contract right now.

Nate reminds me so much of a young Dylan Larkin. I try to remember Dylan when he was 19, and I think what stands out to me about Danielson vs Larkin, is Danielson's vision seems better; his hockey IQ seems higher; his passing is WAY better. Nate is so much more mature than Larkin at 19/20 yrs old. Danielsson doesn't use his speed as his primary asset.

Larkin had a higher revving engine, no quit, determination/clutch. Used his speed more north and south. Different leadership skills.

Danielson utilizes his linemates, Larkin did it all alone. The big complaint/worry about Larkin is he didn't use his linemates (i.e., poor vision). Larkin obviously overcome this knock against him. Danielson needs better linemates because he's a player that loves to pass.

That being said, Danielson is standing out in the 3rd period, but his linemates can't capitalize on from his slick passing. Danny would benefit playing with a guy like Debricat.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I think Danielson has been around long enough to know who he is. I'm not holding a scrimmage game to label a 'disappointment'. I remember Brendan Smith was a stud in these games, and look what he become. Ift these games matter, Smith would be enjoying an Adam Fox -type contract right now.

Nate reminds me so much of a young Dylan Larkin. I try to remember Dylan when he was 19, and I think what stands out to me about Danielson vs Larkin, is Danielson's vision seems better; his hockey IQ seems higher; his passing is WAY better. Nate is so much more mature than Larkin at 19/20 yrs old. Danielsson doesn't use his speed as his primary asset.

Larkin had a higher revving engine, no quit, determination/clutch. Used his speed more north and south. Different leadership skills.

Danielson utilizes his linemates, Larkin did it all alone. The big complaint/worry about Larkin is he didn't use his linemates (i.e., poor vision). Larkin obviously overcome this knock against him. Danielson needs better linemates because he's a player that loves to pass.

That being said, Danielson is standing out in the 3rd period, but his linemates can't capitalize on from his slick passing. Danny would benefit playing with a guy like Debricat.
I agree with all that but at some point we need to look at our roster and truly realize we only have 3 great DET drafted players.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Seems like a glass half full comment....

Wings have a lot of prospects to be excited about.
I mean if we want to have a team where we no longer have reliance on needing to trade for guys or sign them in FA, we need to have prospects who shine and look like they will have a solid place on the big roster. Otherwise we’re gonna keep being forced to signing Andrew Copps for 30 year contracts.

When your team only has 3 good drafted players, horrid drafting is the only thing to blame.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I mean if we want to have a team where we no longer have reliance on needing to trade for guys or sign them in FA, we need to have prospects who shine and look like they will have a solid place on the big roster. Otherwise we’re gonna keep being forced to signing Andrew Copps for 30 year contracts.

When your team only has 3 good drafted players, horrid drafting is the only thing to blame

who is your list here? Seider, Raymond, and Larkin?

The Wings chose to slow walk everyone. Maybe to an extreme, but they also weren't drafting 1st overall. Over the next couple of years we should be getting an actual idea of what Danielson, Kaspar, Mazur, Ed, etc. are going to be for us as they move into Detroit. Then we start talking about how the drafting has succeeded or failed.

Right now these conversations are largely "we hope they are/we fear they aren't" affairs.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
who is your list here? Seider, Raymond, and Larkin?

The Wings chose to slow walk everyone. Maybe to an extreme, but they also weren't drafting 1st overall. Over the next couple of years we should be getting an actual idea of what Danielson, Kaspar, Mazur, Ed, etc. are going to be for us as they move into Detroit. Then we start talking about how the drafting has succeeded or failed.

Right now these conversations are largely "we hope they are/we fear they aren't" affairs.
Yes those are the 3 players.

Thats a very fair take that I agree with. You just can’t blame me for being incredibly nervous when we were having the same conversations about our next generation of “core” players in Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Cholowski, Berggren, Lindstrom and Svechnikov.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Between development camp and these two games, Emmitt Finnie looks like he could really be something. I'm expecting a big season from him. Our 2023 draft is looking strong..

He really feels like an Yzerman-type steal in the mold of Gourde/Johnson/Palat/etc

Ways to go obviously, but he continues to stand out with tenacity and skill

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Larkin was more mature and much more physical. Danielson needs to get a lot stronger

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Larkin was more mature and much more physical. Danielson needs to get a lot stronger

I don't remember it that way. I remember Larkin would dive often, and cried to the refs a lot. He was like Crosby in that regard. He's still a bit that way, but is much better.

At 19, Larkin was serviceable along the boards, but he was a twig. He jumped to the NHL quickly, which is an endorsement how good he was at a young age. No argument there.

I see a lot of similarities between Larkin and Danielson. I think Nate could make the leap to the NHL now and be a positive player, but yzerman clearly wants him to develop more.

Larkin's motor rivalled Helm, and knock on him he was a north - south player (Helm with hands). That's the main difference I see. I don't see danielson having that same motor or rely on his speed. He slows the game down and uses his hockey IQ and vision.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't remember it that way. I remember Larkin would dive often, and cried to the refs a lot. He was like Crosby in that regard. He's still a bit that way, but is much better.

At 19, Larkin was serviceable along the boards, but he was a twig. He jumped to the NHL quickly, which is an endorsement how good he was at a young age. No argument there.

I see a lot of similarities between Larkin and Danielson. I think Nate could make the leap to the NHL now and be a positive player, but yzerman clearly wants him to develop more.

Larkin's motor rivalled Helm, and knock on him he was a north - south player (Helm with hands). That's the main difference I see. I don't see danielson having that same motor or rely on his speed. He slows the game down and uses his hockey IQ and vision.
Danielson is very good skater, smart, good at avoiding hits, but if he misses hit he is down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad