Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
To pound the defense, the Caps need at least another "pounder" in the bottom 6. Wilson is elite, Brouwer is maybe ok, who else? Need more from Laich, Beagle, GlenX, Latta -- if they can't hammer the D, they need to be able to wear them out on the cycle.

Although I do like the GlenX-Laich-Wilson line more than previous incarnations, they seem to be able to create at least some pressure around the net.

Not sure how Bura-Beagle-Brouwer is gonna continue to perform. Would be nice to insert Fehr there and take a look..

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
This whole series boils down to whether or not the Caps are gassed after round one. If we can somehow bottle the formula from the Isles series and have enough energy to play that physical again I say this is almost certainly going 6 or 7. Sure, the Rangers are the more stacked team on paper but can they weather the type of storm that we generated round one? I'd say most teams would ultimately wilt under that sort of duress/punishment. Perhaps the Rangers are too good. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, but maybe, just maybe, they aren't tough enough to do what it'll take to get "through" this Caps squad...

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
The Caps have essentially had 3 days off. Barring injuries, I don't get the whole gassed thing. these are elite athletes in the prime of their careers.

Back to back, or even every other (like the winner of tonight versus MTL on Friday) I get.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The Caps have essentially had 3 days off. Barring injuries, I don't get the whole gassed thing. these are elite athletes in the prime of their careers.

Back to back, or even every other (like the winner of tonight versus MTL on Friday) I get.

Haha. OK so they didn't expend any energy in Monday's game 7. Good to know...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sure, the Rangers are the more stacked team on paper but can they weather the type of storm that we generated round one? I'd say most teams would ultimately wilt under that sort of duress/punishment. Perhaps the Rangers are too good. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, but maybe, just maybe, they aren't tough enough to do what it'll take to get "through" this Caps squad...
That's where Lundqvist comes into play. I don't doubt the Caps having a territorial advantage in this series, especially if they're trailing. The question will be whether they can translate that work ethic into goals often enough. If not the Rangers could very well end up doing what they did vs. PIT: weather the storm in part thanks to Lundqvist and then make plays opportunistically. That's the sort of dynamic I tend to expect in the series on a fundamental level, though I'd also expect more penalties from both sides compared to the Islanders series.

I'd be surprised if the Caps don't manage to slow the Rangers down but it might not happen immediately and it might not be enough if the Rangers fight through it and are able to bend but not break defensively.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
quick check of the numbers.

rangers and islanders both had 252 regular season goals for. rangers ranked 2nd in esg for and islanders 4th.

are the rangers really a step or two better offensively than the islanders?

meanwhile Lundqvist's and Holtby's first round numbers are almost identical. pens were 8th among east playoff teams in goals for.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
are the rangers really a step or do better offensively than the islanders?
In terms of depth and especially experience? Yes. Also, coaching.

I don't think there's a tougher test when it comes to defending against pace than the Rangers. The Blackhawks are likely next best.

Win or lose from here on out it's a great test and valuable experience for Kuznetsov and hopefully Burakovsky.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this is probably the wrong place to post this but I imagine there will be pressure brought to bare going forward as a result. Kerry Frazier on TSN.ca is saying Ov should gotten and major and a game for his hit on Hickey.

So...cue the return of evil/dirty Ov

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
quick check of the numbers.

rangers and islanders both had 252 regular season goals for. rangers ranked 2nd in esg for and islanders 4th.

are the rangers really a step or two better offensively than the islanders?

meanwhile Lundqvist's and Holtby's first round numbers are almost identical. pens were 8th among east playoff teams in goals for.

Regular season gf data is meaningless. We're near the top and we're not a good offensive team In April.

Look at the talent supporting the stars: Hayes, Kreider, Hagelin, Zucarello, Stepan. Those are all players capable of having a major impact on a seven game series. They are a much better team than the Isles. Better offensively, defensively, in goal and in terms of speed.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Regular season gf data is meaningless. We're near the top and we're not a good offensive team In April.

Look at the talent supporting the stars: Hayes, Kreider, Hagelin, Zucarello, Stepan. Those are all players capable of having a major impact on a seven game series. They are a much better team than the Isles. Better offensively, defensively, in goal and in terms of speed.
They also don't have anything remotely resembling the x-factor the Isles had that troubled the Caps so much--the crash line.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Laich can bring a little pain. I know I am not the only one that saw he and Wilson clearly laying down the thunder on the same guy at the same time this year.

They tried it last game, but Laich was just a little late getting there.

GlenX seems scrappy and can maybe bring a little pain.

The real wildcard in our bottom 6, is Troy Brouwer. He single handed took out DeHaan and was playing as angry and physical as I have ever seen him. He deserves a shout out, relishing his bottom 6 role he seems fit for.

Thunder List
Ovi
Wilson
Brouwer
Chimera
Laich
Glen
I can't believe it I am laughing as I type this... .MJ
Ward / Backstrom
Bura
Kuz
Beagle :shakehead

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
They also don't have anything remotely resembling the x-factor the Isles had that troubled the Caps so much--the crash line.

This is true. Further, the Rangers struggled to score against a shell of a team in Pittsburgh. And our team d is pretty good. To that end, I couldn't name an Islanders line other than Czikis/Clutterbuck/Martin and I just watched 7 games of Islanders hockey.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Good call on Chimmers, Randy. His physicality stood out to me in the series against the Isles. He was finishing his checks, as hard as he could.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

ok...playoffs. Rangers are 2.20 goals for per game. Capitals are 2.29. Both teams played against injury depleted opposing defense corp. Neither Letang nor Ehrhoff played at all v the Rangers.

edit: you didn't notice Tavares and Okposo?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
ok...playoffs. Rangers are 2.20 goals for per game. Capitals are 2.29. Both teams played against injury depleted opposing defense corp. Neither Letang nor Ehrhoff played at all v the Rangers.

edit: you didn't notice Tavares and Okposo?

Again look at the talent they have at F relative to us.

I noticed Tavares and Okposo. Couldn't tell you who their line mates were though.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good call on Chimmers, Randy. His physicality stood out to me in the series against the Isles. He was finishing his checks, as hard as he could.

I have to eat some crow on both he and Ward. I forgot they are playoff guys... so they are both perfect candidates to get scratched during the season, to afford a cup of coffee to Galiev and Hershey friends.... cap willing of course.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Rangers score 8 5 on 5 goals in 5 games. Caps 14 in 7 games. I guess though, you have to have some respect for the balance of the Caps forward crew in order to believe in them

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Verizon is opening up at 6:30 PM for the viewing party. Free admission and prizes galore. Go if so inclined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad