Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
In any individual regular season game I'd say the Rangers style lends them a significant advantage vs the Caps.

During the regular season a team like that doesn't have to go against a bigger physical opponent 7 times in 14 days. Generally those games are spread out and there are sometimes longer rests involved between games. Even the most physical regular season teams don't bring it every single night thus earning the smaller team more of a reprieve.

This is the playoffs. There is a reason physical play increases in value. The Rangers will have to play a bigger more punishing team over and over again. We saw what that did to the Islanders...they weren't nearly as speedy halfway through the series than they were at the beginning.

I think the Caps will surprise alot of the pundits.

The New York media will get on the "dirty" Caps case. They will get on Wilson, Ovie, and Orpik for their head hunting ways.

This will help us to no end...

They will pepper the Rangers with such queries and all that talk is bound to get in their heads like it did with the Islanders "that guys an idiot!" "We can play that way too!"

Now we hear things like "To the brutal Caps..play physical at your own risk!" or Girardi does his Tavares "We can play that way too!"

This lets me know its already in their heads that they will be taking a beating physically. Yandle is low hanging fruit. They play him and he is likely going to be done for the playoffs in short order.

Wilson and OV's first hit will be flagged as head hunting right away, I guarantee it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ranger fans in a quick read are sighting several hockey media picking the caps to win this series. I don't find that anywhere. all I see are picking the rangers. maybe its nyr fans trying to use lack of respect for motivation.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
ranger fans in a quick read are sighting several hockey media picking the caps to win this series. I don't find that anywhere. all I see are picking the rangers. maybe its nyr fans trying to use lack of respect for motivation.

i think they are referring to random bloggers on Bleacher Report.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Pretty much hit the nail on the head

It's insecurity

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I really want to see a bad call against the Rangers in the first, and THE patented Alex PPG, to deflate the crowd.

But our PP needs work. It was a complete mess against the Isles, and full credit to them of course. Expect the Rangers to do exactly the same. I am anxious to see the plan. Stay the course, roll Brouwer in and out of the slot some, or something radically different.

It's high time Kuz gets promoted to PP1.
Indeed. Time for the men behind the bench to implement something new.

Don't be surprised to get pushback on the idea due to the fact that the PP has succeeded in the past. Times, they are a-changin' though. Kuz has turned into a weapon. Having him sit on the bench in lieu of the dull knife with a wobbly handle is akin to tying one's hand behind their back.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its almost laughable to me for anyone suggest that there is only one PP formation that can be used with:

Ovi
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Mike Green / Carlson

The core 4 of 5.

Go with a Ward Laich Brouwer type for a man in front setup, or finesse with MJ or Bura rounding out the 5.

We could even do the unthinkable and roll 2 dmen.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
green isn't on the 1st pp and hasn't been for months.

I don't think the pp is an issue because I don't think the caps will get enough pp ops to matter.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://nypost.com/2015/04/30/rangers-zuccarello-out-for-round-2-at-least-sources/
The Rangers are being honest with their report Mats Zuccarello will be sidelined “indefinitely†in the wake of the injury the winger suffered last Friday.

But The Post has learned from several sources Zuccarello definitely will not be available for Round Two against the Capitals, which commences Thursday night at the Garden.

Beyond that, Zuccarello’s availability for a hypothetical Eastern Conference final, and indeed, the Stanley Cup final itself, is in doubt.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I'm guessing coach is leaning towards not going back to playing Kuz with Ovie as much as at the end of the regular season? Or do you think the lines got all switched because of something coach saw specifically about the Islanders?

I have no idea at this point which center belongs on which line. Both ways seem to work fine. I just think it's cool seeing Kuz and Ovie together.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I'm guessing coach is leaning towards not going back to playing Kuz with Ovie as much as at the end of the regular season? Or do you think the lines got all switched because of something coach saw specifically about the Islanders?

I have no idea at this point which center belongs on which line. Both ways seem to work fine. I just think it's cool seeing Kuz and Ovie together.

There is a reason they got put back together in short order.

The underlying WOWY numbers suggest that Ovechkin plays better with Backstrom and worse away from him.

Backstrom possession numbers are far more significant with/without Ovechkin. There is a drastic drop there when he doesn't play with Ovie.

The net effect, when splitting them, is a less effective 1st line and the same 2nd line.

They have played together on the same line and have excellent chemistry making each other better. It does no good to split them no matter how often we try.

The problem in my eyes is not the top 2 lines.

Its our bottom 6 without Fehr.

Good news is that we got Brouwer out of the top 6 since he was a possession black hole. Without Fehr it is Jay Beagle (another subpar possession player) being shifted onto the 3rd line. At least they have Burakovsky to make them not absolutely bleed out.

With Beagle moving up to the 3rd line that leaves the 4th line in not so great shape since Latta has struggled possession wise and Laich has to move to C where he is less effective.

We need a healthy Fehr back. Him and Bura on the 3rd line can lug Brouwer around better and allow him to just hit and play D while they generate offensive zone pressure. Beagle can move to a better role on the 4th line C and it will help the 4th line too.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
There is a reason they got put back together in short order.

The underlying WOWY numbers suggest that Ovechkin plays better with Backstrom and worse away from him.

Backstrom possession numbers are far more significant with/without Ovechkin. There is a drastic drop there when he doesn't play with Ovie.

The net effect, when splitting them, is a less effective 1st line and the same 2nd line.

They have played together on the same line and have excellent chemistry making each other better. It does no good to split them no matter how often we try.

The problem in my eyes is not the top 2 lines.

Its our bottom 6 without Fehr.

Good news is that we got Brouwer out of the top 6 since he was a possession black hole. Without Fehr it is Jay Beagle (another subpar possession player) being shifted onto the 3rd line. At least they have Burakovsky to make them not absolutely bleed out.

With Beagle moving up to the 3rd line that leaves the 4th line in not so great shape since Latta has struggled possession wise and Laich has to move to C where he is less effective.

We need a healthy Fehr back. Him and Bura on the 3rd line can lug Brouwer around better and allow him to just hit and play D while they generate offensive zone pressure. Beagle can move to a better role on the 4th line C and it will help the 4th line too.

I think it was also to get Kuzy away from the other teams top pair. Which worked out well for us in the end.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Trotz rightly just recognized some chemistry and extra jump with Mojo on the 2nd line, and the familiarity of 8 and 19 was a bonus. It also helps that they're vets, as is Ward, and he wanted a first line he could trust. I also think an awareness that Ovie's injured (we believe) makes having all veterans around him more comforting.

Backstrom is Barry's binky.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I think it was also to get Kuzy away from the other teams top pair. Which worked out well for us in the end.

True.

I also think a big switch of Chimera in for Brouwer has significantly helped the 2nd line.

Whatever it is about Chimera the guy always elevates his play in the post season. Every single post season it seems however the coach is has no choice but to move him up the lineup.

Good we have him against the Rags. He scores critical goals against the King.

I think Trotz rightly just recognized some chemistry and extra jump with Mojo on the 2nd line, and the familiarity of 8 and 19 was a bonus. It also helps that they're vets, as is Ward, and he wanted a first line he could trust. I also think an awareness that Ovie's injured (we believe) makes having all veterans around him more comforting.

Backstrom is Barry's binky.

MJ has developed chemistry with Kuz.

MJ has awesome chemistry with Bura. I believe the WOWY stats strongly back that between those two.

We need a phyiscal vet winger (Chimera) on that line but if scoring gets tough I'd love to see MJ/Kuz/Bura together.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin

I guess that's the argument for why Backstrom should never be in an all-star game. He seems so all-starrish to me, just all-around, puck possession, passing, defense, shooting. Just seems like he's in total control of everything when he's got the puck, y'know, most of the time. But, I guess I can't say I've seen a whole lot of him doing a whole lot of great stuff without Ovechkin being on the ice. Ovechkin attracts tons of attention from the other side I know.

I know we need Backstrom to keep shooting. It seems so long ago now but his goals were crucial and excellent last series. That one where he shot in the middle of a box of Islanders--that was badass.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I am usually underwhelmed by Ovi & Backstrom together, but it's true that they have not exactly looked convincing when split up, either, at least recently.

I'd continue to explore different combos, but probably it is what it is for playoffs, understandable that a coach wouldn't want to experiment too much at this time.

As long as Kuznetsov's line can produce, it mitigates these concerns.

Hypothetically, if the Rangers do manage to lock down Ovi (and they tend to do a pretty good job of that), I'd be curious to see what happens if the Caps were to put him on a "distraction" line with say GlenX and Laich(Fehr), to free up say Backstrom-Bura and Kuz-Mojo even more. It's more fantasy, but... I do have a hard time with the notion that Backstrom-Ovi is the best possible pairing for these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad