Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think it might be more that they are crossing their arms and turning the other way every time he walks into a room if there is truth to it...

That would be immeasurably worse. Part of the job of the guys at the top is to be the adults in the room. Sheesh. The only correct option is to try to rebuild the bridge.

(I know you’re not reporting that. This is if true.)

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Flahr is the gift that keeps on giving from the Fletcher Era. You can draw a direct line from bypassing Boldy for York+ to drafting Gauthier at center to drafting Bonk at RHD to trading Gauthier for a RHD to needing to get a "fit pick" center at #12/13 with an elite defender falling magically to them.

People snickered when we read between the lines that this team drafts for fit with high value picks. Well, Briere admitted it like the dope he's proven to be. It's a horror show of team building with a triumvirate managerial team of a first time GM protege of Fletcher/Homer, Fletcher's BFF, and a TV color commentator with 1990s opinions. Every time this team tells you they need their MacKinnon or Kucherov, just pretend it's the South Park episode where all Stan hears is defecating noises.
I love you !

Exactly what i think but i cant say it in such beautiful words!

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

He was a leader of a bad Team last year. Same role Laughton has had the last years with the flyers! I think we got a new Laughton who, himself was seen as a Mike Richards 2.0. Now we got a Laughton who is seen as a Laughton. The flyers really drafting for shit roles and memes!

We went from Mike Richards to Laughton to someone who can be Laughton in 6 years....

What a process...

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He was a leader of a bad Team last year. Same role Laughton has had the last years with the flyers! I think we got a new Laughton who, himself was seen as a Mike Richards 2.0. Now we got a Laughton who is seen as a Laughton. The flyers really drafting for shit roles and memes!

We went from Mike Richards to Laughton to someone who can be Laughton in 6 years....

What a process...
All Canadians!!

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020

What a process...
Richie was my favorite player as a kid. I remember when we drafted Laughton and touted him as the second coming, I was so pumped. Looking back it’s been a real rough ride since then.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I feel good about this pick, and to be honest, i'm not hung up on Buium anymore. Nor do i think anyone else here should be; there's a reason why he fell to 12 in the first place.

Now, the rest of the draft, and the process of drafting for positional need at this point? Yeah that all drags their grade down big time. You have 3 1sts and 3 2nds next year. There's no good reason for that shit.

• Wow
Reactions: River Meadow

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I feel good about this pick, and to be honest, i'm not hung up on Buium anymore. Nor do i think anyone else here should be; there's a reason why he fell to 12 in the first place.
I hate this argument. The Flyers choice was between Buium and apparently Jett Luchanko. That another team faced with the choice of say Buium vs. Dickinson or Parekh or whatever and went with the other guy tells you nothing about the wisdom of the choice the Flyers made.

As to your second point, I agree drafting in the later rounds for positional need is dumb. But that ignores that they did the same thing with their first round pick which is all the worst.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016

Now, the rest of the draft, and the process of drafting for positional need at this point? Yeah that all drags their grade down big time. You have 3 1sts and 3 2nds next year. There's no good reason for that shit.
I think they must expect a good draft class next year or a couple of picks for trade bait.
I am interested to see what kind of year Jett has this year before I lean one way or the other.
Will be watching Guelph a lot closer now maybe I will take in a game or two when he comes to Ottawa.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think you could have maybe traded Buium for Luchanko and a 1st given the hype if the team that got Jett got him late.

For Buium vs Jett. Time will tell. But it looks like Buium has a great fit for Minny too so I can’t see him failing.

I think Jett will be our 2C.

Reactions: Canfly

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Boldy, Buium, Robertson, Stankoven, Perreault. It's honestly good company.

Let's say Luchanko absolutely hits.......and you have a middle 6 center. How does this team achieve critical mass in forming an elite core? They traded a 5th overall for Drysdale. They don't want to trade any impact players to get worse. How do they get there?

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
The most optimistic answer I can give is that their plan is to throw everything they've got at acquiring a 1C or a 1D in next year's draft and then sign the other one in free agency in either 2025 or 2026.

The problem with that plan is twofold. They refuse to make themselves worse next year to maximize their chances of actually pulling it off. They seem to think that next year, as opposed to this year, teams in the top-5 will magically be willing to trade their pick.

The more alarming problem is even if this is their plan, why do they restrict themselves to it by closing off every other avenue to acquiring these guys. Like the chances of grabbing Robertson or Stankoven in the 2nd are low. But even if you think you're drafting a 1C next year, there's still no reason to at least not try rather than taking a plug like Bergland.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The trade up using the pick we got for moving down in the first to grab a defensemen makes no sense to me. You had basically the consensus #1 d fall to your laps and you passed on him for a guy you could have gotten like 10 picks later. If you really wanted him you could have taken Buium with the 12 then trade the 32 and another pick to move up to take Jett. Instead you reached on your first pick, traded the 32 to defer for another year, and then the asset you got for passing on the best d man in the draft was used to move up to draft... A lesser d man? Wtf

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Boldy, Buium, Robertson, Stankoven, Perreault. It's honestly good company.

Let's say Luchanko absolutely hits.......and you have a middle 6 center. How does this team achieve critical mass in forming an elite core? They traded a 5th overall for Drysdale. They don't want to trade any impact players to get worse. How do they get there?

It’s as if the rebuild is “wait around for cap space and see if Bobby Brink can play”

Reactions: Magua

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Flyers Center depth chart is bad. Couts is in a bad way. His injury and play over the last half of the season could be the elephant in the room (+ Laughton's future). Who do we have after these two:

Frost
Poehling
Laczynski
Barkey
Rizzo
Johansen

Not good. Internally the team knows it is is defcon 1 at C. The PP is also a hidden sleeper issue here. The PP has been so bad and a player like Jett does give more options for the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad