Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
if they didn't take Buium all because of his agent..that's some weak shit..even if it turns out to be the same situation as Cutter, you take the pick and if he wont sign you reap the rewards later..especially if you are "rebuilding"(never happened)

What? What rewards? Everybody is blasting on the Drysdale return at the moment. Rutger McG is clearly not going to return his own pedigree. Drafting Biuim and then trading him later is only viable if he plays long enough to establish and increase his value; which can’t ever happen if he’s refusing to sign and play.

What world do people live in where you want to actively bring in players who don’t want to be a part of it? It doesn’t do anybody any good and really needles the online culture where people don’t actually have to work together or see each other.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Briere’s job doesn’t depend on what he *says* about the pick. He’ll be judged on whether the pick actually works out. So he made the pick he thinks will be the best for the team (and by extension, for himself). If he thought Buium or someone else was the better choice, he’d have taken it. He isn’t blowing smoke up people’s asses to cover his decisionmaking because. Rather, he is confident in his choice. Whether or not his judgment was good remains to be seen.
He's trying to put a positive spin on a pick that the fanbase overall seems to hate. These are the type of picks that kill a GM in a year or two after they are made if they fall flat. He's already doing damage control. Great stuff.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
1) I think they wanted Catton, Lindstrom, Demidov or Dickinson. They were hoping 1 out of the 4 would be there at 12 IMO. It’s not entirely unreasonable of an expectation but these are certainly hard to predict.

2) Once SJ jumped, that’s when Briere aggressively tried to get into the top 10. He also said too 4 or 5 was never really in play, so those expecting Demidov can stop dreaming - assuming you believe him.

3) The same people for clamoring believing the sources that Jett was a reach are the same who are dismissing the same for Buium falling. We only know on the outside - it is possible there were other circumstances beyond just the player (location, team) that made them avoid him. We know this is real especially with the lies told on draft day from Cutter. I don’t think it’s fair to label this a universal “prospects don’t want to play for us.” Briere, as said, won’t be judged on the pick now, but if Jett develops and becomes a 1C does anybody care? His job is to get this right - if he doesn’t, then he’ll get canned.

4) Elite skills don’t always translate to elite production right away. What’s strange is I started watching some clips of Jett - the dude can play. He has 2-3 high end skills (skating, passing, IQ). Maybe there’s more there - it’s not my job to be right on this, but I can see a bit of (hopefully) what they see.

5) At the time, everybody blasted Fletcher for the CG pick with “omgzzz typical Flyer reach for size and dumb IQ.” As much as I hate him, Cutter has lived up to it - that was Flahr also.

6) Trading a haul for Lindstrom would be a Flyerzzz move because he’s big - but there are definitely questions around his game too.

I dunno, just don’t feel the doom. I’m bummed - yes, but I do think he’s talented enough to play with MM.
I think Luchanko can be the type of player who meshes really well with Michkov. Sometimes a synergy is created and the outcome is more effective than pure talent in a vacuum. Like Kunitz was one of the best line mates for Crosby because they jived well. Jagr’s line mates during his dominant years in the late 90’s were literal who’s but they complimented Jagr’s game well. Luchanko definitely has traits to make him a valuable and key piece even if he doesn’t have Art Ross scoring abilities.

Whatever the situation with Buium, we’ll probably never know unless something plays out or he busts. Flyers weren’t the only team to pass on him. I definitely would have picked Buium with the knowledge I have and I was disappointed last night, but more accepting of Luchanko after sleeping on it

Evergreen

He's trying to put a positive spin on a pick that the fanbase overall seems to hate. These are the type of picks that kill a GM in a year or two after they are made if they fall flat. He's already doing damage control. Great stuff.
I honestly don’t think Briere or anyone else on staff cares about the fans’ immediate thoughts on a pick they’ve never seen play. They care how the pick turns out.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I honestly don’t think Briere or anyone else on staff cares about the fans’ immediate thoughts on a pick they’ve never seen play. They care how the pick turns out.
Yeah, that just sounds like it's part of the role.

If you think you have an idea on how to build a Contender, do it and suffer the heat until it either consumes you or until it dies down when the team actually lives up to it.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
As Jojo said no not really. Honestly I prefer to take a players who test relatively poorly but have good on ice scouting reports. You're drafting 18 year old kids. If you can get them faster, stronger, more explosive through strength and conditioning, there is probably more value in that. The more physically developed players may not hold the same physical advantage as they age.

View attachment 889283
mic drop....🤣🤣🤣👍

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
At least they will be more impartial then the guy who's job is literally dependent on the outcome of this pick defending the pick.
I don't see much impartiality here :lol: I see a bunch of whiney b's who come together every year to light their torches and sharpen their pitchforks over something they know nothing about. We could draft the next McDavid and this board would find everything under the sun to complain about.

I hope you're all having fun pacing around your homes, gesturing wildly, declaring your disinterest in this team, and you'll all be locked in on opening night for the whole season. You can't quit this team, you're all here for the negative discourse.

Reactions: 04hockey

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
I don't see much impartiality here :lol: I see a bunch of whiney b's who come together every year to light their torches and sharpen their pitchforks over something they know nothing about. We could draft the next McDavid and this board would find everything under the sun to complain about.

I hope you're all having fun pacing around your homes, gesturing wildly, declaring your disinterest in this team, and you'll all be locked in on opening night for the whole season. You can't quit this team, you're all here for the negative discourse.

No cups in 49 years can have that effect

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012

Everyone here is excited about Michkov, but would complain about the next McDavid… that’s quite the take.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
As Jojo said no not really. Honestly I prefer to take a players who test relatively poorly but have good on ice scouting reports. You're drafting 18 year old kids. If you can get them faster, stronger, more explosive through strength and conditioning, there is probably more value in that. The more physically developed players may not hold the same physical advantage as they age.

View attachment 889283

Or it's just a matter of odds. One worked out, one didn't. That's what happens when you draft people as young as 17. Who knows, maybe Jett won't either.

I'm probably wrong in some sense, but ambition is the one thing that is impossible to craft in a person. Sure, they all have some sense of it, otherwise they wouldn't be in the draft at all, but I like the idea of rolling on a player who, is rising in stock, and looks to be doing everything he can to be better.

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
No cups in 49 years can have that effect
It's without a doubt the unluckiest franchise in sports, coupled with poor decisions.

But how is hanging out in the grumble circus online working out for everyone? Fixing much? Is this basically a support group to lash out and rant about decisions none of us have any idea about?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's without a doubt the unluckiest franchise in sports, coupled with poor decisions.

But how is hanging out in the grumble circus online working out for everyone? Fixing much? Is this basically a support group to lash out and rant about decisions none of us have any idea about?

The unsaid, essentially

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Columbus, Montreal, Seattle, and Ottawa are bad at player evaluation. There is no comfort there.

Right, but then that all feeds back into the idea of there being some unknown, yet immaculate list of draftees that one can glean from perfect analysis of everyone in the field. If there are *deeply flawed individuals in this many, professional, organizations, then how many *deeply flawed amateur observers are there that contribute to all of these lists?

I don't doubt that there is a good consensus on who is generally better, but it's just wild to think that errant choices can fall under this much scrutiny,

Honestly, what the hell are we all going to do if Michkov comes over and posts a 30 point season? Are we going to bust on Briere?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

We are not collectively wrong often. Why is that?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Luck is a component of competence. The "luckiest" teams are the most competent because they put themselves in position to get lucky. The unluckiest teams happen to be the worst managed. There is a reason for that

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Right, but then that all feeds back into the idea of there being some unknown, yet immaculate list of draftees that one can glean from perfect analysis of everyone in the field. If there are *deeply flawed individuals in this many, professional, organizations, then how many *deeply flawed amateur observers are there that contribute to all of these lists?

I don't doubt that there is a good consensus on who is generally better, but it's just wild to think that errant choices can fall under this much scrutiny,

Honestly, what the hell are we all going to do if Michkov comes over and posts a 30 point season? Are we going to bust on Briere?

The amateurs need to be quality and accurate to survive in their field. The professionals are largely in an old boys club where merit is irrelevant. That's how amateurs routinely manage to roast particular teams correctly all the time. The Flyers being one of the worst offenders in that regard!

There are definitely teams I don't question because they tend to get things right more than me. Carolina, TB, Colorado, Florida, LV. Even lesser teams like NJ and WAS who have blind spots and evaluation deficiencies I leave alone because overall, they're a lot smarter than I am.

The Flyers are one of several organizations who have yet to prove in the last decade that they're smarter than amateurs and random idiot dorks on the internet.

It is a pity

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh I also don't really question the Flyers on goalies. They've been doing well at finding those for a while now. Goalies are voodoo. The Flyers must be pretty good at voodoo.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The amateurs need to be quality and accurate to survive in their field. The professionals are largely in an old boys club where merit is irrelevant. That's how amateurs routinely manage to roast particular teams correctly all the time. The Flyers being one of the worst offenders in that regard!

There are definitely teams I don't question because they tend to get things right more than me. Carolina, TB, Colorado, Florida, LV. Even lesser teams like NJ and WAS who have blind spots and evaluation deficiencies I leave alone because overall, they're a lot smarter than I am.

The Flyers are one of several organizations who have yet to prove in the last decade that they're smarter than amateurs and random idiot dorks on the internet.

It is a pity

Yep, you have some of the same reservations as I do. I can look past that, but I hope it's just not borne out of ignorance.

I'm just going to relax and hope they can prove us wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It should be an internal red flag if you're describing multiple abilities as "elite" for a player in the mid 1st by consensus board. Something is off there. He probably has zero elite skills. That's ok. So do a lot of very good NHLers.

Skating is the most oversimplified trait. Unless you're McDavid, "elite skater" doesn't cut it as a description. Off puck? With the puck? In straight lines? Edge work? Cross over build ups? Rush? Cycle? First step? Body deception? Skating is also an upstairs attribute in knowing how to attack.

I've seen it said many times already that Luchanko is an elite skater. Celebrini isn't even an elite skater. There were maybe 2-3 taken in the 1st. My opinion? His biggest strength as a skater is off-puck when allowed a few strides/crossovers. I'd call his footwork and first step more okay, but he can get serious build up power, even if his form isn't the most athletic. I also just buried the lede. So much of his skating is without the puck or accelerating into windows for a puck. But in 3 games now, I don't see a particularly dangerous transition player. He's not really used as a weapon.

My biggest issue that hasn't resolved -- and @VladDrag had a similar thought -- is he has puck handling issues at top speed or in traffic. Quite a bit of feeling for pucks or bobbling (it's there even on some good plays). He is a quick surveyor for open guys, and he has some touch, but sometimes I have this feeling his passes are out of necessity. He looks nervy attacking guys 1 on 1 or when sticks get close. Not a lot in the way of feints or maneuvering. Instantly, if you're talking "ceilings," that's the thing to which I'll point. Short area, small space skill is king.

To me, i's a vital top of the organization skill to understand when terms like Middle 6 Center is a positive and when it's a negative

Expectation, I'd think, along with cost.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep, you have some of the same reservations as I do. I can look past that, but I hope it's just not borne out of ignorance.

I'm just going to relax and hope they can prove us wrong.

I am so so so tired of being right lol. I crave wrongness.

Well I was wrong about Ellis and Hayes so I'd like to be wrong like that less

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad