Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Skating is the most oversimplified trait. Unless you're McDavid, "elite skater" doesn't cut it as a description. Off puck? With the puck? In straight lines? Edge work? Cross over build ups? Rush? Cycle? First step? Body deception? Skating is also an upstairs attribute in knowing how to attack.

I've seen it said many times already that Luchanko is an elite skater. Celebrini isn't even an elite skater. There were maybe 2-3 taken in the 1st. My opinion? His biggest strength as a skater is off-puck when allowed a few strides/crossovers. I'd call his footwork and first step more okay, but he can get serious build up power, even if his form isn't the most athletic. I also just buried the lede. So much of his skating is without the puck or accelerating into windows for a puck. But in 3 games now, I don't see a particularly dangerous transition player. He's not really used as a weapon.

My biggest issue that hasn't resolved -- and @VladDrag had a similar thought -- is he has puck handling issues at top speed or in traffic. Quite a bit of feeling for pucks or bobbling (it's there even on some good plays). He is a quick surveyor for open guys, and he has some touch, but sometimes I have this feeling his passes are out of necessity. He looks nervy attacking guys 1 on 1 or when sticks get close. Not a lot in the way of feints or maneuvering. Instantly, if you're talking "ceilings," that's the thing to which I'll point. Short area, small space skill is king.

Expectation, I'd think, along with cost.

You're describing a player who plays like they're protecting themselves from being plastered by a huge hit rather than attacking defenders.

A latter-day, 2004 skill. He can learn and grow though, but I don't like what it says about underlying process upstairs.

Reactions: Hexxxy

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The pick is fine, only reason to be upset is passing on Zeev. I guess they didn't rate him highly as they should have seen him plenty at Denver. Also would've loved to grab Hutson/Basha/Frej at #32.
Scared of his agent and losing another college kid.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's without a doubt the unluckiest franchise in sports, coupled with poor decisions.

But how is hanging out in the grumble circus online working out for everyone? Fixing much? Is this basically a support group to lash out and rant about decisions none of us have any idea about?
It’s not luck that they have been mediocre since the salary cap prevented them from outspending most of the league. It’s poor management, largely from Former Flyers.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Or it's just a matter of odds. One worked out, one didn't. That's what happens when you draft people as young as 17. Who knows, maybe Jett won't either.
The poster I responded to implied the scouts know more than us and we shouldn't question their decisions. A vocal minority called that specific one on draft day like Robertson vs. Ratcliffe before them.

Being a "professional" does not mean shit if you let biases and needs get in the way of decision making. You could literally never watch any of these guys, just look at consensus rankings and stats and draft better than a lot of NHL teams. Yes there is luck to it, but there is also knowing and balancing likely potential outcomes of certain types of prospects.

People can say we complain a lot but the appeals to authority of a franchise that has been anywhere from bad to mediocre for ~12 years is even worse. They have been this way as long as they have been because they do questionable shit.

I'm probably wrong in some sense, but ambition is the one thing that is impossible to craft in a person. Sure, they all have some sense of it, otherwise they wouldn't be in the draft at all, but I like the idea of rolling on a player who, is rising in stock, and looks to be doing everything he can to be better.
I mean sure but this sounds like copium. No one really knows about a prospect's true character. I'm all for going against consensus in certain situations but when you are drafting in the lottery part of the benefit of that is you are assured some level of certainty with a prospect - a prospect with a longer track record. We all have our tiers, but it certainly looks like they passed on the last player in that top tier(s) to bring on more uncertainty and weren't overly compensated for it (noted: they clearly weren't going to draft Buium under any circumstances). Is it possible Luchanko will continue to progress on an upward trajectory? Yeah, but there's also a chance he took advantage of premium usage on a bad team and this season was an outlier of sorts. For the record I like the player, but he seems like the type you bet on in the late teens and early 20s. Not where they did.

We have better indicators of success but they passed on Buium to take a Center who scored at a lower rate than said player in a much worse league. At a certain point you have to say, maybe this isn't a good idea....

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The poster I responded to implied the scouts know more than us and we shouldn't question their decisions. A vocal minority called that specific one on draft day like Robertson vs. Ratcliffe before them.

Being a "professional" does not mean shit if you let biases and needs get in the way of decision making. You could literally never watch any of these guys, just look at consensus rankings and stats and draft better than a lot of NHL teams. Yes there is luck to it, but there is also knowing and balancing likely potential outcomes of certain types of prospects.

People can say we complain a lot but the appeals to authority of a franchise that has been anywhere from bad to mediocre for ~12 years is even worse. They have been this way as long as they have been because they do questionable shit.

I mean sure but this sounds like copium. No one really knows about a prospect's true character. I'm all for going against consensus in certain situations but when you are drafting in the lottery part of the benefit of that is you are assured some level of certainty with a prospect - a prospect with a longer track record. We all have our tiers, but it certainly looks like they passed on the last player in that top tier(s) to bring on more uncertainty and weren't overly compensated for it (noted: they clearly weren't going to draft Buium under any circumstances). Is it possible Luchanko will continue to progress on an upward trajectory? Yeah, but there's also a chance he took advantage of premium usage on a bad team and this season was an outlier of sorts. For the record I like the player, but he seems like the type you bet on in the late teens and early 20s. Not where they did.

We have better indicators of success but they passed on Buium to take a Center who scored at a lower rate than said player in a much worse league. At a certain point you have to say, maybe this isn't a good idea....

I really have nothing to contest. You do make good points.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
(noted: they clearly weren't going to draft Buium under any circumstances)
there's something about this player/situation that we don't know and may never know. We weren't the only team to pass. Agent? College? Character? A Political Issue some franchises fear stepping into? Something doesn't add up. Given: Briere went in monomaniacally on centers. That can't explain the whole thing, this franchise loves the buium-drysdale sized D.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I need to do more research but I’d take a guess after some early work, one of these men is the primary culprit behind this BS draft decision.

Martin Gendron - a Flahr sidekick going back to Minny

Dennis Patterson

Todd Hearty

Mark Greig

Based off of time with the org, and current location I can’t see it being Armstrong, Fukushima, or Stefanski.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
IMG_9806.jpeg

From Mckenzie’s rankings this past week.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Briere directly said that size was a factor in passing on him. Charlie asked in the presser.

I still have no idea why you would say that out loud. But he did. And credit to Charlie for asking the question.

Was this asked yesterday? Or today.

Charlie asked today if size was a focus, and Briere smirked before answering it wasn’t. Like he knew Charlie was trying to get a “gotcha”.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Briere directly said that size was a factor in passing on him. Charlie asked in the presser.

I still have no idea why you would say that out loud. But he did. And credit to Charlie for asking the question.

I could honestly take that as a gaffe for not knowing the audience that he's speaking to.

I do take it as confidence in the people that we have. Drysdale isn't a nothing-burger by the way, nor is Bonk.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Watching, I assumed Zeev was more 6’1. His brother is 6’4. He’s not a slight 6’ regardless. I didn’t even realize “smol” was a talking point. Quibbling over an inch of height is the epitome of loser franchise talk anyway.

This organization lets the depth players, degrees of unproven, dictate the fit of the higher up players. They do it at the pro level too. Ass backwards is an understatement. When you don’t have many high end players, best to be picky.

Kurt Overhardt. The Overhardt factor I guess is the new Russian factor.

Might as well trade Farabee now, if that factored even 1%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad