Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 114 60.3%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 65 34.4%

• Total voters

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How is the D fixed? What proven starter do we have?
D is much much better than last year even the playoffs version.
If you think Tanev, OEL and Haka is not better than Boosh, Edmundson and Gio, I don’t know what to say.
Stolarz is more capable than Sammy.
Now is this team a contender, nope. They are still the same old playoffs team unless they start making changes to the Top 9 via trades.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
When did we had better D in preseason?
Come playoffs time, yes.

Changing out Sammy is already addition by subtraction kind of like a few of the core. Trading them is addition by subtraction.

Are you one of those that just hate everything Leafs do?
For me, the D is now comparable to Muzzin's final few years. Brodie, at that time, and Tanev are similar. Muzz was a big upgrade on OEL. Depth now is a bit better than then, but it's debatable

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not last year... last year was the worst our D has looked in years, that deadline was atrocious.

When Muzzin was on the team, that was our best.

I am just saying, I don't think the D is as fixed as some think.

No, I've liked some deals and think some are idiotic.

Are you one of those that just like everything the Leafs do?
Like I asked, when was a time when the D looks better than now in pre-season?
Also, think you know I don’t like everything Leafs esp MM and JT are still Leafs. These two soft players need to go before the Leafs can get better.

I am starting to like you, bc it seems like you have no opinions but to say the opposite of others to get attention. Keep it up as I rather you get attention here than doing something crazy in real life.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Off-season isn't over yet but he's met my expectations.

We needed to sign one of Domi/Bertuzzi, which he has done. Need two quality defenceman, which he's also done. Goalie position is also solved, although we need to hope Woll stays healthy.

The way our cap is structured, I always believed the way we win the cup is through three things. Solid goaltending, great PK, and one of star players need to pull a Draisaitl, McDavid, Kucherov in the playoffs. Until then, we will always struggle in the playoffs no matter how many depth moves we make.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For me, the D is now comparable to Muzzin's final few years. Brodie, at that time, and Tanev are similar. Muzz was a big upgrade on OEL. Depth now is a bit better than then, but it's debatable
Was never a fan of Holl and Sandin.
That’s why I think the D are better than those years.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Gotta wonder about Anderssen in Calgary.

We have Lily/Ribertson and prospects to offer as well as Kampf/Janrcrok.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Was never a fan of Holl and Sandin.
That’s why I think the D are better than those years.
You're welcome to, I don't see anyone on the current depth D that could return what Sandin did and it's easy to see why.

McCabe is a nice luxury that we have now, so maybe it's more OEL + McCabe v. Muzzin.

Gotta wonder about Anderssen in Calgary.

We have Lily/Ribertson and prospects to offer as well as Kampf/Janrcrok.
Doesn't seem like they want to do business with us

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Like I asked, when was a time when the D looks better than now in pre-season?
Also, think you know I don’t like everything Leafs esp MM and JT are still Leafs. These two soft players need to go before the Leafs can get better.

I am starting to like you, bc it seems like you have no opinions but to say the opposite of others to get attention. Keep it up as I rather you get attention here than doing something crazy in real life.

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl

and then whoever else was bottom pairing, think it was Demott at the time or Sandin/Liljegren, can't remember.

That group was better.

Muzzin - Holl was a good pairing at the time and Brodie was a stud.

Muzzin was arguably our best D while here.

Your last paragraph makes you look like an idiot.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Wrote this about today's transactions:

It's w.e, all 3 of them could be good/bad, who knows?

The D are older and injury prone, Stolartz looked great....in Florida though, so who knows how good he is?

I can't believe they're running the core back again, man was I hoping for a Marner trade, I guess it can still happen. If they resign Tavares and Marner, then yeah it's GG.

Nobody in their right mind should expect this team to do anything next year, could they? Sure. But expecting it would be insane at this point.

Although the talent is through the roof with this team, it's 05-15 all over again, except this time instead of hoping the team makes the playoffs, we hope they win a round in the playoffs.

Not even close to enough, especially with the talent that is here. But soft ownership, soft president led to a soft everything.

You can add a new coach/GM/goalie/D, but the core is the core and as I said expecting anything from them at this point is beyond delusional

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Team still sucks.

I give them 80 percent chance eliminated in round 1, 20 percent chance miss the playoffs altogether.
Miss the playoffs - with a new coach and with the best goal scorer in the league. Ok buddy.

Have a Twinkie and coke - to feel better.

I fully admit we are still a full year away from true contention.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You're welcome to, I don't see anyone on the current depth D that could return what Sandin did and it's easy to see why.

McCabe is a nice luxury that we have now, so maybe it's more OEL + McCabe v. Muzzin.

Doesn't seem like they want to do business with us
Sandin’s speed will always be his problem.
As he just gets beat by forth liner all the time.

Reactions: Al14

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl

and then whoever else was bottom pairing, think it was Demott at the time or Sandin/Liljegren, can't remember.

That group was better.

Muzzin - Holl was a good pairing at the time and Brodie was a stud.

Muzzin was arguably our best D while here.

Your last paragraph makes you look like an idiot.
Holl is not good and if you can’t even think of the bottom pairings, it just means they are forgettable and sucked.

FYI, your posts always make you look like an idiot. Should I remind you of your post about MM AND Barkov, lol

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Holl is not good and if you can’t even think of the bottom pairings, it just means they are forgettable and sucked.

FYI, your posts always make you look like an idiot. Should I remind you of your post about MM AND Barkov, lol

Holl is not good, but he was at the time. You should look into the concept of time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sandin’s speed will always be his problem.
As he just gets beat by forth liner all the time.
Speeds an issue, vision is excellent. He had limitations, like Benoit just in opposite ways. I expect Hakanpaa will be similar in that regard. At the end of the day, he returned a first and I don't see any of our other D doing that now except Rielly and McCabe. I likely take Sandin, Holl over Benny and Hakanpaa. It's the middle 2 that gives me pause.

Like I said, feels similar to the Brodie/Muzz years or D and that's not a bad thing. I just hope it has an impact and we can find depth scoring upfront

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Pretty much everything I've heard and read today gives the Leafs decent to good marks the last few days, considering our pick deficit, cap space and needs.
Stolarz and Hakanpaa seem like great cheap options with room for even more upside.

Tanev and Ekman-Larsson have some worrisome term for 33 and 34 year Olds but I don't think management is concerned about 3+ years from now. Tanev especially is an amazing add. I just wonder if we should've kept Lyubushkin instead of Ekman-Larsson, younger and a little cheaper and RD.

Would've liked to see a depth player sold for picks but there's still time

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Speeds an issue, vision is excellent. He had limitations, like Benoit just in opposite ways. I expect Hakanpaa will be similar in that regard. At the end of the day, he returned a first and I don't see any of our other D doing that now except Rielly and McCabe.
Teams can get desperate at TDL, lol.
Do agree with you to some extend as Sandin do provide offense and he was also young when he was traded.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think this off-season is better than last seasons and the team is better, at least compared to last years version. Defence and goal prevention should in theory be better with Tanev and Stolarz signed and Woll taking the reigns. Goal scoring however is still going to be an issue.

I don't think our goaltending is worse. I think it's about the same if not at least a little bit better depending on how you feel about Woll and how his health will turn out. Stolarz is solid but he hasn't played a lot of games in a season, but no goalie on the UFA market was a bonafide starter. I'm fine with what they've done there and the bet made on Woll. Murray is a fine veteran third-stringer.

On the backend we'll need OEL to continue to have his renaissance and need Liljegren to be a consistent puck-mover instead of a sporadic one. Rielly-Tanev will be a great pairing. McCabe is a true top 4D and if Benoit can continue to improve his play I think our defence should be better than last year. Hakanpaa is good depth.

Up front Tavares will likely lose another step which means our centre situation after Matthews is still dire. I don't like that Kampf and Jarnkrok are still here but we're basically stuck with Kampf and Jarnkrok at least provides defensive value despite being completely useless offensively in the playoffs. We'll need Knies to take another step and Robertson too (f*** his trade demand). If McMann can continue his upward trajectory we shouldn't miss Bertuzzi too much on the left side. Like that Domi is still here, ambivalent on Marner. Don't think a trade is going to materialize, just have to play out the year I suppose.

Regardless, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Marner are what they are in the playoffs. Matthews and Nylander will perform well but not at their regular season levels, Tavares is too old and slow to be any real threat, and Mitch will get his early series and empty calorie points before disappearing. It's imperative that our young players step up to score and that our powerplay doesn't fade and falter heading into the playoffs. I think there's enough added to mitigate the expected scoring drop-off from our core guys but we'll see how the season plays out. Here's hoping the likes of Knies, Robertson, Dewar, Holmberg, Liljegren, Benoit, and Woll can advance as players.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Still wondering who's going to score the goals on this team other than 34

Is this a run-it-back of the worst PP I've ever seen? Does OEL for Rielly move the needle in that regard?

They lost to the Bruins because they couldn't score goals, not because of the defense.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Leads the Leafs in playoffs points. Finalist for the best defensive forward. Voted as a first and second team all star. Gets 90 to 100 points a year. Kills penalties and plays on the power play. No other team would trade a player like him...none.
Atleast we're a little more reasonable from "120 points and winning the Art Ross" :laugh:

Holl was always shit.
Holl was a litmus test for who actually knew what a good D-man looks like.

Lots failed that one around here.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad