Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
And of course my fellow toxic flyer comrades hate this pick without knowing anything about him.....if you read the material about this young fellow, you will realize he comes highly rated.....this is not a long shot by any means.....I know this might be impossible for some of you to believe, but the people that do the drafting for the Flyers may know a thing or two more about this craft then you fellows......Lets at least take a wait and see attitude before most of you condemn this pick based on pure ignorance....

Ahh doom and gloom is alive and well on the most absurdly negative board on the internet. Earlier post was right, y'all need to try weed and get over this useless stuff. Get a grip.

Would have rather had Buium, but I get it, we're small af. Helenius was meh and even smaller, and Eiserman will be the next Kieffer Bellows. We'll see what Jett can do.
Indeed....I have to rate the Flyers board as the worse in the HF community.......I get better information on Flyers news on other forums that are just a tad more mature ......I swear, if we were to win the Cup, many here would be grumbling about that.....

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
And of course my fellow toxic flyer comrades hate this pick without knowing anything about him.....if you read the material about this young fellow, you will realize he comes highly rated.....this is not a long shot by any means.....I know this might be impossible for some of you to believe, but the people that do the drafting for the Flyers may know a thing or two more about this craft then you fellows......Lets at least take a wait and see attitude before most of you condemn this pick based on pure ignorance....

Indeed....I have to rate the Flyers board as the worse in the HF community.......I get better information on Flyers news on other forums that are just a tad more mature ......I swear, if we were to win the Cup, many here would be grumbling about that.....
Congratulations on a few more decades of crippling mediocrity! Hope you enjoy, seems like you're already a big fan of that!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i swear...there is opportunity here..if they do not play Jet by Wings whenever he scores I quit lol
Quitting over not hearing a song 10 times a year?

i swear...there is opportunity here..if they do not play Jet by Wings whenever he scores I quit lol
Quitting over not hearing a song 10 times a year?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Didn't back read. Maybe they stayed away from Zeev because didn't want to get burned again with a college kid. Mind you it was their fault Cutter burned them.

They do not value elite level talent. That is crystal clear. The depth model will win that they believe in base don their results.

Reactions: BernieParent

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Didn't back read. Maybe they stayed away from Zeev because didn't want to get burned again with a college kid. Mind you it was their fault Cutter burned them.

They do not value elite level talent. That is crystal clear. The depth model will win that they believe in base don their results.
Yeah but Denver is their pipeline ... :)

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
im with that buium or helenius was mine choises as well. but i just check some youtube videos about luchanko and he actually looks pretty nice pick too. speedy and some skill too. in combine he was very good. couple years and we know better was it a good pick..or not. i wanna believe this was ok choise atleast.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You don't see that style of passing because they don't want their players making that style of pass.

They beat it out of them during the development process and in the NHL.
Yes specifically on the PP. But I also don’t think they have had that level of passer in a long time outside of G.

Jett being so young but still having such high numbers at the combine is interesting

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm good with the pick. The fact he played the entire season as a 17 year old and carried that Guelph club (a team full of 19-20 year olds) to the playoffs when they shouldn't have been there is a bit of a testament. I'm looking forward to seeing Luchanko as an 18 year old in the league to see what he can do. Call me optimistic, but I think they got a real good one in Luchanko.

Edit: And those hands!!! Disgustingly good hands. A power play performer on top of it. I don't worry about him. It's Rocky Thompson and his stank ass power play that worries me.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Honest question because I have no idea, does this stuff translate well to NHL projectability?

No. This is one of those situations where this is no room for interpretation. The correlation is either non-existent or minuscule.

For those skeptical of what I’m saying (not you), please remember that you’re talking to a lunatic who keeps a personal database of high school track times for CFB athletes for betting purposes. I’m not against testing in any way.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'd like to clear something up. I don't think anyone here wants Jett to fail. I know I sure don't. I hope he can indeed become a useful player for the Flyers. But when you're so bereft of skill at every position, you CAN'T be picking for need and you CAN'T be picking for safe. Most "safe" prospects end up busting because they have no standout traits. When a potential top pair dman falls into your lap and you haven't developed a top dman in almost 60 years, you don't pass on that. I wouldn't have even been upset if they took Eiserman.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I’ll reiterate that had the draft board shaken out with Buium off the board, and our options were, say, Yakemchuk, Silayev, Eiserman, Luchanko, and Helenius, I wouldn’t feel terrible about the pick. Luchanko wasn’t a massive reach.

Buium being there is what makes this sting.

That said, Luchanko’s next year will be extremely telling. I don’t give him the benefit of being “one of the youngest draft eligible players”. That seems like cope. He’s a 2006 birth year like his draft classmates, and he’s been developing with that age group just like them. Suzuki was also a young draftee, and his resume was stronger. What I do give Luchanko credit for is being the driver of his team offensively without much support. There’s something to that indicating a player with better upside than his statistical profile would suggest. I have no clue what expectations are for Guelph next year, but Luchanko needs to have a 90+ point season for this pick to look reasonable, and he needs to be a 5v5 play driver as a D+1 player.

The Laughton comps are fair, and I think I was the first one to make it in the draft thread. But draft picks aren’t deterministic — Laughton’s range of outcome in 2012 had upside too that he never achieved. There’s a world where Luchanko turns into Dylan Larkin. And a world where he flames out entirely. He’s got a range of outcomes like every other prospect, so I don’t think looking at this pick as Laughton 2.0 is entirely appropriate. He’s an interesting player, and I would have been quite happy if the Flyers traded into the top 15 to get him. I’m just not happy about passing on Buium to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad