Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Connor Brown re-signs with the Oilers (1 year, $1M)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
After “Goal Watch 2023”….it does seem like he found a bit of a groove, albeit as a pure bottom sixer. I mean 6 points in 19 playoff games with a +4 in a shade under 12 minutes per night isn’t going to send pulses racing but for a low cap hit (yes, I’m ignoring the actual payout here which was due anyways), it seems actually pretty fine for a veteran 4th liner.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Could've gotten more after his last few months of play. Like others have mentioned though given his bonuses it pretty much evens out. Nice guy move to sign cheap and try to win a cup, though. A bit surprised he didn't look for more, given how I'm sure he knows at this point how much money an injury can cost you.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Brown technically only counted as 775k towards the cap last year so this year he’s 4.25m (3.25m bonus overage + 1m cap hit). Last he year was a steal at minimum salary, hopefully this year he continues what he did in the playoffs and lives up to being a 4.25m player

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
$1 mil for Connor Brown, something don’t seem right about that.
Well, aside from the playoffs he was absolutely garbage and most Edmonton Oiler fans wanted him kicked off the planet.

By most, I mean the vocal HF who expected a lot. It was fine and he'll be fine this season at that cap.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brown technically only counted as 775k towards the cap last year so this year he’s 4.25m. Last he year was a steal at minimum salary, hopefully this year he continues what he did in the playoffs and lives up to being a 4.25m player
what would the cap hit be for the Oilers if he leaves?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Brown technically only counted as 775k towards the cap last year so this year he’s 4.25m. Last he year was a steal at minimum salary, hopefully this year he continues what he did in the playoffs and lives up to being a 4.25m player
How does that work? Didn't we have lots of unused accrued cap last year, and no LTIR? do we still have the full bonus carrying over?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I know but if he leaves, do they still have to take the 3.25M cap hit

I know he gets the bonus regardless
He got paid the bonus last year but only had a cap hit equal to the base salary of 775k. So the Oilers have to make up that difference in cap hit as a 3.25M penalty. His new contract has nothing to do with it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kudos to him for taking less than market value and returning the favour to the team that paid him handsomely last year with his bonus.

The guy really became a solid player for us down the stretch and in the playoffs.
That is the key, he was hurt during the season, but when he was healthier in the playoffs his value soared. I still count his assist on the PK goal as being the key spark to the Oilers making it to game 7. He was impactful in the playoffs when the games mattered most. He also gets along so well with players in the room. Definitely a glue guy, and I think he took a discount to finish the job next year. Or try to. Always have a lot of time for Connor. This just speaks to his character. Not surprised at all.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad