Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL) - 7/6 Upd: Signed 3yr ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Because they don't have enough centers.

Cates has been moved back to LW, Rizzo they want to see in AHL. That's pretty much it for alternatives.

I think if Briere could land another center Laughton would be made available (he's not playing ahead of Foerster and Cates at LW, maybe move Foerster to RW and bench Brink).
They're rebuilding, they're actually allowed to trade a 30 year old 4th line center no matter how bad their center depth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're rebuilding, they're actually allowed to trade a 30 year old 4th line center no matter how bad their center depth.
No. Because the develop of young wings means they should be looking to add a decent playmaking center, not subtract one. It's why Cates is better suited to LW.

I like Poehling, but I wouldn't want Foerster or Brink playing with him, great forechecker but limited offensive skill set.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they were trying to make the playoffs, why didn't they sign a FA center?
Why haven't they traded draft picks for veterans?

The complaints come down to not trading Laughton and Hathaway and Seeler.
Laughton might get you a Walker deal (i.e. 2nd rd unless you take on money and give picks back)
Hathaway a 3rd? Seeler a 3rd?
Not exactly moves that would have a major impact, but would leave gaping holes.

Because nobody wants to play with them, they have Couturier, and they think they have everything they need talent-wise now? Briere told us we aren't going to be a talent-packed team. They plan on winning with shitty grinders

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they weren't rebuilding, why would they amass all those picks instead of trading for a veteran center?

Now they may not make the moves you want them to make, or at the time you want them to do so (I think as prospects are ready to play veterans will be moved out, but right now those AHL prospects haven't shown they're ready for prime time).

But that doesn't mean they're not rebuilding.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
If they weren't rebuilding, why would they amass all those picks instead of trading for a veteran center?

Now they may not make the moves you want them to make, or at the time you want them to do so (I think as prospects are ready to play veterans will be moved out, but right now those AHL prospects haven't shown they're ready for prime time).

But that doesn't mean they're not rebuilding.
Do you believe they will make all those picks? If you honestly 100% believe they are then maybe they are actually revealing...but they will move a few of them if they are on the bubble again

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do you believe they will make all those picks? If you honestly 100% believe they are then maybe they are actually revealing...but they will move a few of them if they are on the bubble again
I think Briere would love to package picks and maybe Frost or Brink for a top 6 center under 25.
But I don't think they're looking to trade for a 30 year old veteran.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers way...package some picks and a top 6 C for a top 6 C.
If only Frost was a top six center, right now, he's a good 3C or below average 2C.
Keep waiting for him (and Farabee) to take the next step.
But at some point it'll be time to move on.

Reactions: Breeze 44

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

Now they may not make the moves you want them to make, or at the time you want them to do so
That's pretty disingenuous, no rebuilding team would hold on to a 30 year old 4th line center when they could have packaged him to get a late 1st in return.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
That's pretty disingenuous, no rebuilding team would hold on to a 30 year old 4th line center when they could have packaged him to get a late 1st in return.
One moment..... now it all makes sense!

They dont trade Laughton for a late First cause they know they would only draft a new 4th line Center with that pick. And trades are difficult so why try it in the first place?

You all heard it here first!

And by the way maybe the dentist was on vacation. Now chance you do a trade without him!

• Wow
Reactions: freakydallas13

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
When Ron Hextall was fired, in November 2018 in the fifth season of his grand plan, the Flyers were 10-12-2 and in last place in the Eastern Conference.

And they finished 22nd in the league that year, and 11th in the conference. Which is not 2nd to last in the conference, like you said.

And the year prior to Fletcher being hired?

They were 13th in the league overall, 6th in the conference. Again, Fletcher did not inherit a team 2nd to last in the conference - like you lied and said he did.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morgan Frost is 25 and a top 6 center.
Frost averaged 1.77 ppg at 5x5 while his three linemates with the most minutes with him all averaged over 2.2 ppg (TK, Tippett and Farabee).

Since he's an offensive center, the fact that his wings substantially outscore him suggests he's being carried.

Looking at iHDCF/60:
Couts 3.73 - xGFrel/60: +0.25
Poehling 3.72 - +0.30
Cates 3.29 - +0.49
Frost 3.27 - +0.08
Laughton 2.59 - -0.50

Nope. Not a 2C.

Now, I'd like to see him with Tippett and TK on a regular basis this season, hopefully that will encourage him to play faster.

On the other hand, they really need to upgrade Laughton at 3C.
Too bad Luchanko is probably a year away.

Farabee - Couts - Michkov
Tippett - Frost - TK
Cates - ??? - Foerster
Lycksel/Brink - Poehling - Hathaway

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Since he's an offensive center, the fact that his wings substantially outscore him suggests he's being carried.

Consideing he is Torts' whipping boy, I suggest Tortorella has gotten into his head and is a major factor in the variance we see in Frost's game.

We'll see soon enough if their relationship has improved in any capacity.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Is it ok to shift this conversation back to Luchanko rather than re-hash the same organization failings… again?

Watched the game last night - he was extremely impressive. Many argue he was as good as Michkov - don’t really agree with that, but the thought alone is a positive sign.

Great speed, tenacious, good PK and D, and very good passing. Flubbed some rushes, missed a pass here and there but all in all thought he was fantastic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is it ok to shift this conversation back to Luchanko rather than re-hash the same organization failings… again?

Watched the game last night - he was extremely impressive. Many argue he was as good as Michkov - don’t really agree with that, but the thought alone is a positive sign.

Great speed, tenacious, good PK and D, and very good passing. Flubbed some rushes, missed a pass here and there but all in all thought he was fantastic.
I think the raw talent is there.

Physically he could play in the NHL (just turned 18, was 187 at the combine, supposedly now north of 190), but probably needs another CHL season.

Has to improve his shot, and needs experience, but saw some nice passes, he has potential as a playmaker, not just a two way center who skates fast.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
And they finished 22nd in the league that year, and 11th in the conference. Which is not 2nd to last in the conference, like you said.

And the year prior to Fletcher being hired?

They were 13th in the league overall, 6th in the conference. Again, Fletcher did not inherit a team 2nd to last in the conference - like you lied and said he did.
When Hextall was fired, the Flyers were 10-12-2 & last in the Eastern Conference.

Maybe in the week that elapsed before they hired Chuck, they got up to 2nd to last in the Eastern Conference.

So, yes, the team Chuck inherited was factually a last place or 2nd to last place team in the East.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think the raw talent is there.

Physically he could play in the NHL (just turned 18, was 187 at the combine, supposedly now north of 190), but probably needs another CHL season.

Has to improve his shot, and needs experience, but saw some nice passes, he has potential as a playmaker, not just a two way center who skates fast.
From all accounts he didn't dominate either game. There is no probably. Send him back to juniors no questions asked. 80% of those players who played likely never make the NHL on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Hanover Fist

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
Frost averaged 1.77 ppg at 5x5 while his three linemates with the most minutes with him all averaged over 2.2 ppg (TK, Tippett and Farabee).

Looking at iHDCF/60:
Couts 3.73 - xGFrel/60: +0.25
Poehling 3.72 - +0.30
Cates 3.29 - +0.49
Frost 3.27 - +0.08
Laughton 2.59 - -0.50

Nope. Not a 2C.

Now, I'd like to see him with Tippett and TK on a regular basis this season, hopefully that will encourage him to play faster.

On the other hand, they really need to upgrade Laughton at 3C.
Too bad Luchanko is probably a year away.

Farabee - Couts - Michkov
Tippett - Frost - TK
Cates - ??? - Foerster
Lycksel/Brink - Poehling - Hathaway
We don’t need an upgrade at 3C, that’s the perfect spot for Coots. We need a 1C.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
When Hextall was fired, the Flyers were 10-12-2 & last in the Eastern Conference.

Maybe in the week that elapsed before they hired Chuck, they got up to 2nd to last in the Eastern Conference.

So, yes, the team Chuck inherited was factually a last place or 2nd to last place team in the East.

Nope.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What you'd be looking for is a young center with top 6 talent who's blocked by two centers ahead of him and his team doesn't want to pay market rates for his next contract.

If they were a legitimate SC contender you'd look at veterans in the 26-30 range that a team wants to move to free up a spot and cap room.
But Flyers should be looking at the 20-23 age group, with upside ahead of them.
That won't come cheap, but that's why you accumulate assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad