Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL) - 7/6 Upd: Signed 3yr ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov could skate, but he was never a talented offensive D-man other than a good wrist shot.

A defensive D-man who can skate the puck out of the D-zone has value, but I remember numerous people here complaining about Provorov on the power play.

He could have been a 1st pair caliber D-man had he continued to improve his defense, and use his skating ability to exit the D-zone but defer to a more talented partner in the O-zone.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Appropriate age or not, it’s just another example of poor drafting by Hextall. No franchise can afford to bungle top ten picks like with Provorov and Patrick and not have severe consequences down the line.
While I agree in general with your sentiment, the Rangers seem fine after totally whiffing on Kravtsov and Kakko in back to back drafts.

I can stop you right there. That is absolutely not what they did. In fact, they neutered his strengths. Remember how he was great at carrying the puck up ice and leading a rush? Team couldn't have a Dman doing that. That was removed from his game at the first opportunity, and it wrecked his utility.
Not only did they neuter Provorov, they stunted the growth of all their other defencemen just to do so.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Provorov could skate, but he was never a talented offensive D-man other than a good wrist shot.

A defensive D-man who can skate the puck out of the D-zone has value, but I remember numerous people here complaining about Provorov on the power play.

He could have been a 1st pair caliber D-man had he continued to improve his defense, and use his skating ability to exit the D-zone but defer to a more talented partner in the O-zone.

He literally led rushes, routinely, with a lot of us loving the matching strengths of Ghost's passing and Provorov's ability to carry the puck and lead a rush and entry.

Everyone was high on him before they stripped his skillset for a reason.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While I agree in general with your sentiment, the Rangers seem fine after totally whiffing on Kravtsov and Kakko in back to back drafts.

Not only did they neuter Provorov, they stunted the growth of all their other defencemen just to do so.
The Rangers are a mediocre team (check their advanced metrics) carried by a first rate power play but mostly by Shesterkin (4th rd pick). An elite goalie can cover a lot of flaws (see Montreal with Price, etc.)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Appropriate age or not, it’s just another example of poor drafting by Hextall. No franchise can afford to bungle top ten picks like with Provorov and Patrick and not have severe consequences down the line.
Exactly.

Also funny how both of those botched picks were from the Brandon Wheat Kings, which happens to be Hextall’s junior team.

Then factor in he took Sanheim much earlier than projected, who is related to his family, & it really makes you wonder.

Not that Sanheim ended up an awful pick, but, you know, Pastrnak would’ve been nice.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Exactly.

Also funny how both of those botched picks were from the Brandon Wheat Kings, which happens to be Hextall’s junior team.

Then factor in he took Sanheim much earlier than projected, who is related to his family, & it really makes you wonder.

Not that Sanheim ended up an awful pick, but, you know, Pastrnak would’ve been nice.

Between Sanheim and Pastrnak a local boy (DeAngelo) and the son of a former Flyer (Kapanen) were taken. Thank god Sanheim was available, because that pick could have gone a whole lot worse.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wild to still be blaming Hextall after 6 years. There has been more than ample time to fix these problems. Every problem the team has, is owned by this management group. What with them all being here for the generation of those problems or failure to solve them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wild to still be blaming Hextall after 6 years. There has been more than ample time to fix these problems. Every problem the team has, is owned by this management group. What with them all being here for the generation of those problems or failure to solve them.
Same guys blaming Hextall say Fletch made 1 mistake...and is a good GM.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No, when you completely blow the 2nd overall pick (that you lucked into via lottery); screw up a 7th overall pick; sign Weise, Boyd Gordon, and JVR; trade Hartnell for Umberger; and your best trade acquisition is Radko Gudas; blow other first round and 2nd round picks on Jay O'Brien, German Rubtsov, Isaac Ratcliffe, Pascal Laberge, um, yeah, that's not easy to just "fix," especially after a pandemic that leads to an unprecedented salary cap halt.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
No, when you completely blow the 2nd overall pick (that you lucked into via lottery); screw up a 7th overall pick; sign Weise, Boyd Gordon, and JVR; trade Hartnell for Umberger; and your best trade acquisition is Radko Gudas; blow other first round and 2nd round picks on Jay O'Brien, German Rubtsov, Isaac Ratcliffe, Pascal Laberge, um, yeah, that's not easy to just "fix," especially after a pandemic that leads to an unprecedented salary cap halt.
These are signs of the incompetence that existed then and continued under Fletcher. I had hopes that DB could break the chain but it’s hard to do with so many remnants of the past still hanging around. Then there’s the Tortorella issue….

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The Rangers are a mediocre team (check their advanced metrics) carried by a first rate power play but mostly by Shesterkin (4th rd pick). An elite goalie can cover a lot of flaws (see Montreal with Price, etc.)
Being a mediocre team with probably the best goaltender in the league sounds like they are doing more than fine. It's definitely better than the Flyers have been in the last 20 or so years.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Once we see Luchanko in action this weekend, we'll have some comments.
Right now all these guys are mystery boxes.

Hextall screwed up, Fletcher screwed up, both were hired by Holmgren.

So far Briere hasn't screwed up (we'll see in 2/3 years about Luchanko v Buium).

Right now, going into the season, they're a young, middle of the pack team.
Lot's of questions, but the three key players are Michkov, Drysdale and Ersson.
Maybe 5 picks in the top 40 in the 2025 draft, plus a 2nd and 3rd they could use to move up.
Prospects most likely to move the needle, Luchanko, Bonk, Bump.
But 2-3 more years of rebuilding.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Much easier to not be set back by those draft whiffs when a franchise defenseman (Fox) and a franchise forward (Panarin) both decide they will only play for your organization and either force a trade to you or sign with you as a FA the year after those whiffs. Then get the 1st overall pick in the lottery on top of that.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Now do Fletch

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Once we see Luchanko in action this weekend, we'll have some comments.
Right now all these guys are mystery boxes.

Once again, I’m here to remind you that OHL games are widely available and not hidden away in the Vatican Apostolic Archive!

Many of us have watched Guelph. We don’t have to wait to make comments on a next to meaningless rookie camp game. They’re only a mystery box to you because you’ve never watched them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Once again, I’m here to remind you that OHL games are widely available and not hidden away in the Vatican Apostolic Archive!

Many of us have watched Guelph. We don’t have to wait to make comments on a next to meaningless rookie camp game. They’re only a mystery box to you because you’ve never watched them.
I have a life. I draw the line at watching CHL games.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm just here to acknowledge the Proust reference. Fantastic

Deady’s relationship to the Flyers in a nutshell:

tumblr_nr9fwafBGn1rsyukao1_1280.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad