Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL) - 7/6 Upd: Signed 3yr ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Balance matters, especially in the playoffs.
Someone like Barkov makes it much easier to build lines, same with Tkachuk.
Big skilled people create room for smaller skilled people.

Same on defense, a big mobile D-man with high IQ can CYA for a smaller, fast offense first D-man.

SC Teams tend to have 5-7 forwards and 2-3 D-men who are offensive producers, the rest of the lineup needs to complement these players.
Never said nor implied balance doesn't matter. That has nothing to do with what I said.

None of those you mentioned are players you worry about drafting around. If they had 3 Bonk types or what not that are very very likely to play in the NHL then who you draft may be altered.

You do not alter your draft around fringe players n the system.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I think I'm honestly ok with them not being super aggressive with their picks. Next year lets hope we have 3 more firsts to add to the pool. It's exciting - considering how Chuck treated picks

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Suzuki's a pretty good center, played 21 minutes a night last season, both PP units, lead the team 5x5, 3rd pair on PK.
21-25 46 at ES, 12-19 31 PP.
However 1.79 pp/60 (5x5) is only 123rd among forwards, slightly better than Frost.
Very good but not elite speed, stocky body, good skill set.

If Luchanko turns out as good as Suzuki Flyers did OK.
Though I hope he's better. Especially offensively.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Briere told Mathias Brunet of La Presse last week that he’ll be happy if Luchanko becomes half the player that Nick Suzuki is. Strange comment.

Aiming for the stars. That’s what good GM’s do.
Remember, this is the guy who said he was beyond thrilled that a cooked Marc Staal decided to honour the Flyers by signing with them.

For as much as he is said to have learned from his days working with the Comcast bureaucrats, he says something stupid almost on the daily.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Aiming for the stars. That’s what good GM’s do.
Remember, this is the guy who said he was beyond thrilled that a cooked Marc Staal decided to honour the Flyers by signing with them.

For as much as he is said to have learned from his days working with the Comcast bureaucrats, he says something stupid almost on the daily.
Honestly shocked he didn't stick around for a role in the organization.

Briere told Mathias Brunet of La Presse last week that he’ll be happy if Luchanko becomes half the player that Nick Suzuki is. Strange comment.
That would be a waste of a pick then no?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Starting to realize Briere is a f***ing dullard.

So you passed up on a potential 1D for a player you hope becomes a 30-40 point 3C (half the player Suzuki is)?

Thankfully despite Briere's dumb ass comment, Luchanko has more potential than that.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Granted that his is from E-5 or whatever but I've heard this from similar sources.
There is a stink of entitlement on some of these guys on the USNDT that surfaces in several ways. Some of the players, with the assistance of their future agents, know how to game their interviews to hide their intentions from the NHL clubs. We'll see how it works out for these guys in their futures.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There's really no benefit to getting selected higher in the NHL draft than other drafts. Everyone has the same max ELC and signing bonus available to them. Not much incentive to hide intentions. These kids are just flexing the leverage they've always had but rarely used. You only have it a few times in your career.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I don't understand what exactly someone would be gaining by trying to go 5-10 draft spots higher. It's the only sport of the 4 NA options where it doesn't matter. Reads like managerial bitterness.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Granted that his is from E-5 or whatever but I've heard this from similar sources.
There is a stink of entitlement on some of these guys on the USNDT that surfaces in several ways. Some of the players, with the assistance of their future agents, know how to game their interviews to hide their intentions from the NHL clubs. We'll see how it works out for these guys in their futures.
I don't understand what exactly someone would be gaining by trying to go 5-10 draft spots higher. It's the only sport of the 4 NA options where it doesn't matter. Reads like managerial bitterness.
I think the higher draft position is ego and leverage, if a team takes you top ten, they'll be more reluctant to bury you if you play games with them.

It's similar to the NFL, where players are coached for interviews, so teams have to do their due diligence (i.e., not just talk to coaches who have a vested interest in their players getting drafted higher, but ex-teammates, ex-girlfriends, bartenders at places they like to hang, etc.).

This will hurt some kids in the future as teams won't take them as early. So for teams to take a high ranking USNDT high in the draft, they're going to have confidence that he's not a bullshitter and won't try to force a trade in two years.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

I am still sick to my stomach over the logic that led them to picking Luchanko, and yet I can't believe people are taking this comment literally. This seems like a boilerplate, exaggerative, complimentary comment of a good young player (Suzuki) made in Suzuki's market. More a praise of Suzuki than a projection of Luchanko.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I think the higher draft position is ego and leverage, if a team takes you top ten, they'll be more reluctant to bury you if you play games with them.

It's similar to the NFL, where players are coached for interviews, so teams have to do their due diligence (i.e., not just talk to coaches who have a vested interest in their players getting drafted higher, but ex-teammates, ex-girlfriends, bartenders at places they like to hang, etc.).

This will hurt some kids in the future as teams won't take them as early. So for teams to take a high ranking USNDT high in the draft, they're going to have confidence that he's not a bullshitter and won't try to force a trade in two years.

In the NFL, the difference between going 5th and 15th overall is essentially doubling the value of your contract.

Whether any of these kids are jerks or not, I have no idea. All I'm trying to say is that we invent these dopey narratives when most of the time things are pretty simple. If a payoff isn't obvious without reading into things to this degree, we need to take a step back. It's a sure sign we're guessing.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The only reason I can see that players want to avoid being drafted in the 10-18 range is because then you avoid being on tire spinning going no where franchises like the Flyers.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I am still sick to my stomach over the logic that led them to picking Luchanko, and yet I can't believe people are taking this comment literally. This seems like a boilerplate, exaggerative, complimentary comment of a good young player (Suzuki) made in Suzuki's market. More a praise of Suzuki than a projection of Luchanko.
Sure, but Briere should have realized that it would have some bad optics. He’s still very green around the ears as a GM, I suppose.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Balance matters, especially in the playoffs.
Someone like Barkov makes it much easier to build lines, same with Tkachuk.
Big skilled people create room for smaller skilled people.

Same on defense, a big mobile D-man with high IQ can CYA for a smaller, fast offense first D-man.

SC Teams tend to have 5-7 forwards and 2-3 D-men who are offensive producers, the rest of the lineup needs to complement these players.

Nobody has ever successfully built a team following this draft logic and it will be a century or more before anyone does.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I think the comparison is apt in terms of physical similarity - both are a little short, but solid, Suzuki was 5'11 183, Luchanko 5'11 187 when drafted. Both are plus skaters, with the edge probably to Luchanko. Both were considered high IQ, two way players.

If Luchanko merely becomes a two way center who can give you 40-50 ES Points a year plus score on PP1, which is Suzuki, I'd be very happy. I'd rate Suzuki as a marginal 1C. Better than Frost, but a step below the 10 or so top centers.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Everyone else seems to be concerned with the Suzuki comp for one reason and I read it and can't help but wonder how many good NHL seasons they think Suzuki has had. Throwing out names is just doing PR. That's the scary part. Suzuki is one of the most polarizing players in the whole league.

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone else seems to be concerned with the Suzuki comp for one reason and I read it and can't help but wonder how many good NHL seasons they think Suzuki has had. Throwing out names is just doing PR. That's the scary part. Suzuki is one of the most polarizing players in the whole league.
last three seasons (22-24): 38, 46, 46 ES points.
ATOI: 20:31, 21:06, 21:16

He had good metrics his first two seasons, then fell off the next two as he was force fed into a 1C role.
Substantial improvement last season. xGFrel. +6.14, HDCFrel +2.59
Last season JFresh: 39% offense, 96% defense, 75% PP, 96% finishing.
Ideally the 2C on a team with a playmaker 1C (he's more of a goal scorer).

He's also on a bad team. Especially on defense:
Guhle, Matheson, Savard, Barron, Struble, Harris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad