Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL) - 7/6 Upd: Signed 3yr ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
"trust no one, my friend, no one . . ."

He's an upside gamble, late birthday, great raw athleticism, added 15 lbs and maintained elite speed (now 5'11 187 and hasn't turned 18).

In some ways he makes me think of a stronger, more of a two way center, but same questions as Frost. That is, can he convert raw skill into production?

As Catton showed, players can make big jumps at that age (5 months younger than Jett when he put up mediocre #s, 7 months older when he put up top numbers).

Jett had nothing to work with last year, only two other forwards were draft picks, Alriksson (#107-2023), Karabela (#153-2022).
Other forwards, Bowman (20), Namestnikov (19), Paquette (18).

By next May, we'll have a better idea of what we have in him.
No they wont. They will have a better idea once he turns pro.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
At the draft, I would have taken Buium. That said, Luchanko was growing on me and continues to do so. He is an outstanding skater with a high IQ and a great motor. He is also one of the youngest players in that draft as pointed out by others here, and him being young at the draft is thought of being a good thing. Luchanko's profile points to a good NHLer, the real question is how good.
I understand them taking Luchanko over Buium even though I wouldn't have.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
At the draft, I would have taken Buium. That said, Luchanko was growing on me and continues to do so. He is an outstanding skater with a high IQ and a great motor. He is also one of the youngest players in that draft as pointed out by others here, and him being young at the draft is thought of being a good thing. Luchanko's profile points to a good NHLer, the real question is how good.
I hate the reasons they gave for not taking Buium -- that's really tough for me.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Yeah this is where I'm at. Just because I wanted Buium doesn't mean I can't get excited about Jett!

Gonna be fun watching him this year.

Reactions: BernieParent

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I hate the reasons they gave for not taking Buium -- that's really tough for me.
Agree. It's worth noting that Buium is almost 9 months older than Jett, so for this to be even close, Jett needs to have a blowout season. The thing is... that's exactly what Buium had, so it's frustrating.

Reactions: Sizzle Chest

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Skillwise, drafting a Luchanko as the second 1st round pick after selecting a Buium is what the Flyers' have to do in this draft to actually move forward in their "rebuild".
They honestly should have found a way to move up and draft Luchanko and drafted Buium at 12 if they believe in Jett as much as they seem to do. That would have been the smart play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They honestly should have found a way to move up and draft Luchanko and drafted Buium at 12 if they believe in Jett as much as they seem to do. That would have been the smart play.
It would have been hard to move up from #32 to #14 or so to get Luchanko.
At least two teams, according to Wheeler, were going to take Luchanko in the teens, so he was unlikely to make it past #15.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
think Luchanko will mimic MM and be a Flyer next year .....
he reeks of desire to play

Jones and Briere are going in the right direction.....

and all the 1st rd. picks next year are gonna help big time

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
At least two teams, according to Wheeler, were going to take Luchanko in the teens, so he was unlikely to make it past #15.
The Avs 25 first and the Oilers 31 may have been enough. Include another asset if you want to get the deal done. I bet the Flyers didn't even explore it as they wanted no part of Buium.

Reactions: volnoir

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
That was a gift, the stupidity of the teams picking 2-6, nothing brilliant that Briere did. Granted, he wasn't so stupid as to pass on that gift, as he did at 12 this year.
It was a gift, but he didn't pass on it. IMO, drafting Michkov was the right move drafting Michkov regardless as to why he was there at 7. They still pulled the trigger.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It was a gift, but he didn't pass on it. IMO, drafting Michkov was the right move drafting Michkov regardless as to why he was there at 7. They still pulled the trigger.
I felt this way when I heard Briere say his name at the podium. They did the obvious right thing which was a pleasant surprise. And that set me up for additional depression when they had the same scenario with Buium and passed on him.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
It's actually not that hard, especially considering they were trying to move from #12 to #5 which is a much more difficult move.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's actually not that hard, especially considering they were trying to move from #12 to #5 which is a much more difficult move.
Of course it's hard, b/c it's rarely done.

I just think they weren't as impressed with Buium as the amateur "experts."
Whether they were right or wrong will be discovered in a few years.

And I think they're sincere in their love of Luchanko, elite speed, high IQ, good size, punches all the buttons. Only question is his offensive upside. With Luchanko, Couts and Poehling, you can add an undersized center in the 2025 draft and keep Frost - b/c you have a balanced group.

I think the addition of big D-men like Bonk, McDonald, Sotheran and Mills (along with Attard and Ginning) makes them more willing to take an undersized LHD in 2025 as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just because it's done once doesn't make it easy.
You have to find someone from #13-15 willing to trade down.
Just b/c you offer what the trade chart says is fair value doesn't mean the other GM will be willing to trade.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Of course it's hard, b/c it's rarely done.

I just think they weren't as impressed with Buium as the amateur "experts."
Whether they were right or wrong will be discovered in a few years.

And I think they're sincere in their love of Luchanko, elite speed, high IQ, good size, punches all the buttons. Only question is his offensive upside. With Luchanko, Couts and Poehling, you can add an undersized center in the 2025 draft and keep Frost - b/c you have a balanced group.

I think the addition of big D-men like Bonk, McDonald, Sotheran and Mills (along with Attard and Ginning) makes them more willing to take an undersized LHD in 2025 as well.
Those guys should not be a factor in any way with how or who they draft. Those guys are all longshots to carve out an NHL career.

Same goes for your center logic. Having those guys should have zero bearing on who they pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Those guys should not be a factor in any way with how or who they draft. Those guys are all longshots to carve out an NHL career.

Same goes for your center logic. Having those guys should have zero bearing on who they pick.
Balance matters, especially in the playoffs.
Someone like Barkov makes it much easier to build lines, same with Tkachuk.
Big skilled people create room for smaller skilled people.

Same on defense, a big mobile D-man with high IQ can CYA for a smaller, fast offense first D-man.

SC Teams tend to have 5-7 forwards and 2-3 D-men who are offensive producers, the rest of the lineup needs to complement these players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad