Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
This is great news....now we really have something to look forward to with our Flyers....now the question is, how will this effect us at the upcoming draft!

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
This is great news....now we really have something to look forward to with our Flyers....now the question is, how will this effect us at the upcoming draft!

I doubt it changes much of the process behind the picks/trades, but it does make these next few weeks more crucial to hit on.

If anything, Briere and co. have known for at least a few weeks, if not more, so it's probably already factored into their plans.

Reactions: Devonator

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
There's only honor in selecting top 5-10 if you trade up. What you lose in assets, you gain in pride and character.

The time to take a step back was this year, when Michkov was in the KHL (presumably for another year or two). The Flyers response was to compete for the playoffs and not really sell. I’d be floored if their response to Michkov coming over early is to trade their best player. The good news is Alex Bump is pushing his way into high end prospect territory.
Who is Alex bump

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Now we know why Hilferty was talking about all that 2025-2026 cap space. This rebuild has been long and arduous. My daughter wasn't even born yet when it started; now I'm a grandfather. I can't wait to take the little squirt to a Michkov game.
200w.gif

Reactions: Magua

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Michkov is so intriguing because, aside from his lacrosse goals and occasional clever move, I find his highlights relatively… unspectacular? He isn’t a Demidov-style dangler, he doesn’t wire the puck like Bedard, he doesn’t burn people like Cooley.

He’s just always involved on the puck and creates an insane number of chances by being “there” and tenaciously chasing chances.

Much more of a Crosby style attacker than anyone else. I know this is what we call “hockey IQ” and “hockey sense”… it’s just remarkable that a player can be so prolific without necessarily scoring elite marks on the more visible skills. Will be fascinating to see what he can turn into.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Michkov is so intriguing because, aside from his lacrosse goals and occasional clever move, I find his highlights relatively… unspectacular? He isn’t a Demidov-style dangler, he doesn’t wire the puck like Bedard, he doesn’t burn people like Cooley.

He’s just always involved on the puck and creates an insane number of chances by being “there” and tenaciously chasing chances.

Much more of a Crosby style attacker than anyone else. I know this is what we call “hockey IQ” and “hockey sense”… it’s just remarkable that a player can be so prolific without necessarily scoring elite marks on the more visible skills. Will be fascinating to see what he can turn into.

I’ve seen the same. It’s why I think they may be considering moving him to C as well. Crosby is also just 5’11 - but thick - and is really described as a player who is an elite grinder. MM has a rump on him as well and from draft day photos seems a couple inches taller than DB who is 5.9, so he may be around 5’11 as well.

MM is elite on the boards, behind the net, strong at breaking the puck out from the d zone. I dunno, just a hunch. He has good skills all around but an ultra elite IQ.

I think this is why they want Pinto so bad, so they can have some size up the middle.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Said this a few months ago in terms of Crosby playing similarly... he is in the OZ more often than not just a relentless force who uses IQ and mucks and grinds way to soft areas of ice. Exhausts defenses.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Said this a few months ago in terms of Crosby playing similarly... he is in the OZ more often than not just a relentless force who uses IQ and mucks and grinds way to soft areas of ice. Exhausts defenses.
A long time ago, someone made the distinction to me that “hockey IQ” is knowing what play to make, where to be, etc. while “hockey sense” is having that intuitive feel for the soft things like just how long to hold onto the puck before passing it through a seem, or exactly when to activate into a soft area when you’re off the puck and anticipating a play, etc.

Always thought that was a good framework for what hockey sense is. Crosby is the best player I’ve ever seen in terms of that “sense”. Better than McDavid. But McDavid obviously has “visible” skills that Crosby never had.

I do wonder where Michkov lands on those scales. His physical gifts are not extraordinary. How far can that sense take him?

Reactions: Appleyard

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
A long time ago, someone made the distinction to me that “hockey IQ” is knowing what play to make, where to be, etc. while “hockey sense” is having that intuitive feel for the soft things like just how long to hold onto the puck before passing it through a seem, or exactly when to activate into a soft area when you’re off the puck and anticipating a play, etc.

Always thought that was a good framework for what hockey sense is. Crosby is the best player I’ve ever seen in terms of that “sense”. Better than McDavid. But McDavid obviously has “visible” skills that Crosby never had.

I do wonder where Michkov lands on those scales. His physical gifts are not extraordinary. How far can that sense take him?

I mean, Crosby is a top 10 player of all time. He doesn’t have a ton of those obvious physical gifts either, so I’d say that far ☺️

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I remember when Gretzky was starting out and in an early-1980s interview, he said the best advice he learned from his father, Walter, was not where the puck is, but where it is going to be.

"Go there."

He was playing 4-D chess while everyone else was playing checkers, knowing where the puck was going to be two or three steps ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad