Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Year 3 out of 3 year rebuild. Briere playing 4d chess when he tanked for Michkov. Also let's not forget he did best he could with potential 50 goal top line center Cutter Gauthier immediately improving defense, powerplay and getting a young roster player back.
i hope this is sarcasm cause if not I want what you are smoking

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If I had to guess, Michkov invoked his KHL contract buyout a while ago. Per FHR laws this needs to be done at least 16 months in advance, This would correlate to the past 2 seasons when Rotenberg started jerking him around.
At least he had the good sense to send Michkov to Sochi and not stunt his development. There's that at least.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
If I had to guess, Michkov invoked his KHL contract buyout a while ago. Per FHR laws this needs to be done at least 16 months in advance, This would correlate to the past 2 seasons when Rotenberg started jerking him around.
At least he had the good sense to send Michkov to Sochi and not stunt his development. There's that at least.

Jerked him around? What if NHLers had buyout privileges and Michkov, after signing his ECL, put in his 16-month notice to leave Philly. How would Torts react?:eek2: Would Torts bench him and play those 100% committed?:dunno: As NHL fans I think our sense of entitlement gets the best of us sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: so9683

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Im assuming they acquire a veteran russian player at some point this offseason

That would make sense.

We just need to make small improvements to the team in a sustainable sense this summer. We don't need to massively move the needle this coming season, just be a little more competitive and let Michkov get used to the NHL. Make a big move for 25/26 when we know exactly how good MM is.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Am I the only one worried about Michkov playing for Torts? This is why I didnt want him coming over yet. I understand the urgency to get him over due to the geopolitical situation, but Michkov starting his career under Torts is less than ideal.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Am I the only one worried about Michkov playing for Torts? This is why I didnt want him coming over yet. I understand the urgency to get him over due to the geopolitical situatio, but Michkov starting his career under Torts is less than ideal.

The there are two things that really worry me when it comes to Michkov and this current team:

1. Flyers PP is never taken seriously by other teams and especially not taken seriously by the management of this team. It's a pure joke.

2. Torts has a knack for putting skilled players, like Couts, on the 4th line to have other players that don't deserve play at all, like Laughton, on the 1st line. So I can't trust Torts to use Michkov correctly.

Imagine if Michkov wants to try center, so he'll be straddled by ND and Hathaway...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Am I the only one worried about Michkov playing for Torts? This is why I didnt want him coming over yet. I understand the urgency to get him over due to the geopolitical situatio, but Michkov starting his career under Torts is less than ideal.
The more I’ve thought about it I’ve come to my own conclusion that Michkov is the ace in the hole to get Torts sent packing. If he tries any of his bullshit head games with Michkov Hilferty will step in because it’s a horrendous business decision.

The seeds have already seemingly been planted over the last season. That likely will make the whole thing bloom.

If Michkov was to come over in a couple years, Torts would have an even bigger foothold in the organization.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think everyone understands this is the first time since Lindros we've had a #1 overall type talent at this age, this changes literally everything. I think most people here (rightfully so Russia is on the other side of the world) haven't watched much more than just his highlight reels which are cool. But to fully appreciate him you have to watch him throughout a full game. I cannot wait to see this dude play in Philly, if we do win a cup in the next decade you can bet your ass that Michkov will absolutely be the straw stiring that drink.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Rationale Actor Theory.

Torts ain't messing with Michkov. He will be fired so fast if he does. Matvei is their golden ticket out of this hellscape - Danny Briere, a 5 foot 9 skill player with almost no grit - is not gonna let it happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rationale Actor Theory.

Torts ain't messing with Michkov. He will be fired so fast if he does. Matvei is their golden ticket out of this hellscape - Danny Briere, a 5 foot 9 skill player with almost no grit - is not gonna let it happen.
Yeah, Torts is on the clock here, but not until 2026 really. All jokes, funny or not, all the eggs are in this basket essentially. Unless Michkov is just total ass, he will win that struggle because this front office can’t afford to not have Michkov be That Guy at this point. He will be their central marketing figure, the franchise player.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah, Torts is on the clock here, but not until 2026 really. All jokes, funny or not, all the eggs are in this basket essentially. Unless Michkov is just total ass, he will win that struggle because this front office can’t afford to not have Michkov be That Guy at this point. He will be their central marketing figure, the franchise player.
They're not jokes. The franchise marketed Torts instead of Giroux. They put a Tortorella-inspired sign in the locker room. They allow him heavy input in roster construction. They double down on every decision he makes. They deified the success this year. They attributed Walker's success to him. What should make me think they'll learn this time around? There is clear history here

Reactions: BiggE

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
They're not jokes. The franchise marketed Torts instead of Giroux. They put a Tortorella-inspired sign in the locker room. They allow him heavy input in roster construction. They double down on every decision he makes. They deified the success this year. They attributed Walker's success to him. What should make me think they'll learn this time around? There is clear history here
Torts was never the coach when Giroux was here. They marketed Cevin Hayes instead of Giroux which of course is a problem in itself.

Michkov is the one player/front office member they won't side with Torts against. There's too much at stake with the fanbase and the business side. He is the savior. He is the one that will draw people in to the stadium. They lose that they're all doomed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're not jokes. The franchise marketed Torts instead of Giroux. They put a Tortorella-inspired sign in the locker room. What should make me think they'll learn this time around? There is clear history here
Torts never coached Giroux. Kevin Hayes was the marketing guy in the middle. Torts was the shiny new toy, but now will no longer be. If Michkov doesn’t work, the whole thing falls apart, Torts won’t survive a failure of Michkov’s development by midway year 2. That’s if everyone else doesn’t turn on him first.

Reactions: DancingPanther

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Unfortunately or fortunately - if he comes now - this changes everything. I want a tear down (TK, Risto, Laughton gone etc etc) - but now I don't know if you want it to be a dumpster fire on arrival.

A week ago I would have traded TK - I genuinely don't know what I'd do now. I don't know what Matvei's expectations are in terms of competing, was he promised a competitive team? Did he see the standings and want to be a part of it? I genuinely don't know.

I have to imagine he instantly makes the PP more dangerous, he'll impact 5v5 scoring, 3v3 gets better (yay!!)

In our division alone...you could make the case that Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh will take a step back next year. -Probably the Rangers-, and maybe the Isles. I anticipate the Devils come back strong, and you figure Columbus maybe improves.

There's a very real opening to compete all season long for the 3rd spot in the Metro. I think both WC's go to the Atlantic, I bet Buffalo, Ottawa, and Montreal are improved next year, in an already good division.

It's fools good - but if you add Michkov to this roster, remove some deadweight - this teams range is around 83-92 points.

Whoever they take at 12 is so important. They need that to hit.

Reactions: renberg

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Torts was never the coach when Giroux was here. They marketed Cevin Hayes instead of Giroux which of course is a problem in itself.

Michkov is the one player/front office member they won't side with Torts against. There's too much at stake with the fanbase and the business side. He is the savior. He is the one that will draw people in to the stadium. They lose that they're all doomed.

Torts never coached Giroux. Kevin Hayes was the marketing guy in the middle. Torts was the shiny new toy, but now will no longer be. If Michkov doesn’t work, the whole thing falls apart, Torts won’t survive a failure of Michkov’s development by midway year 2. That’s if everyone else doesn’t turn on him first.
Oh right it was Hayes, all the horseshit that I don't watch seems to blend together. Tough to keep each chapter of the suffering straight. I think my point still stands in all of this though. Clarke has and will never fold on anything.

I completely understand your points though. Please understand that I simply don't trust these guys to put their egos aside. They literally haven't done this once in my whole life. Clarke forced Lindros out of here ffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad