Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Well hold on now he still will need to show that he can out hit, out compete, out fight, and out locker room Nic Deslauriers.
Big Nic is already working out for next season to protect his buddy Matvei :box:

can't wait to see Matvei and Brink together, they both see the ice VERY well

I may have to enjoy a brewski or 2 tonight in celebration 🥴

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
what's everyone's thoughts on how Michkov will endure a full NHL season?
I think that he’d be fine if he was allowed to play his game. He has skills that few players have. He should be allowed to find out what he can do with them at this level. He’s smart enough to learn what won’t work and then adjust his play a. What he doesn’t need is some tyrant leaning on him to restrict his play.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Lowest ranked comment on Reddit under the post about this latest news on Michkov: (sorry, belongs in the Septic Tank).

That place really is a cesspool. Full of Torts worshiping, clamouring to give Briere 8 more years if he manages to get Michkov over (overlooking everything else he has omitted to do or in fact did), and proclaiming the Flyers are a Michkov or two away from being contenders. If you ever want to know how idiots stay in positions of power, look no further than Reddit Flyers.
IMG_7108.jpeg

Last edited:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
This is great news for us....now lets see if we can work some magic at the upcoming draft again.

With or without Torts he will be fine. He’s special. I’m not worried
Exactly....he is our most prized player since Eric Lindros......this kid is going to be a beaut.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Michkov coming over and Torts not wanting him on the NHL roster after camp would be the most Flyers thing ever.

The fact that that possibility is being put out publicly is very telling. It really seems like young skilled players are well aware of the way philly operates and how they like to punish young talent.

The whole "gotta make the team outta camp" shit may have to go soon.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Excited he may come early , but also want him nowhere near Torts. It will end horribly if Torts is his coach. It’s the dream scenario for him to bench him and get all the media attention like he craves.
On the plus side, the chance is very, very slim that Tortorella will have the chance to bench Michkov in his home town.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
With or without Torts he will be fine. He’s special. I’m not worried

I'm not worried either. I'm as brutal on this franchise as anyone, but I think even they're not stupid enough to prioritize Torts' needs over their most promising talent since Lindros. One can be a cash cow, the other is just an avatar.

The only positive I can see from this, is he is only prospect we have that could possibly get TORTS fired. He has that much hype, moxie, whatever you want to call it. I was much more confident about that last summer, though.

Well there's also the positive of having a potential generational f***ing superstar on the roster to watch 82+ times a year. I mean, come on. You get that AND the possibility he gets Dino Pepperoni fired.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm not worried either. I'm as brutal on this franchise as anyone, but I think even they're not stupid enough to prioritize Torts' needs over their most promising talent since Lindros. One can be a cash cow, the other is just an avatar.

This would require belief that the higher-ups disagree with Tortorella's development tactics and that Michkov doesn't need tough love.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He’s the only one that can get Torts fired. If he does come over this Summer I am ok loading up in FA. May have to trade TK for a center and sign a wing though. If you add a true 1C and Michkov then this team is a whole lot better.

Quite honestly, that is a horrible idea. Not only do they have zero cap space, FA prices will further saddle this team for the next several years with replacement level players.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
He’s the only one that can get Torts fired. If he does come over this Summer I am ok loading up in FA. May have to trade TK for a center and sign a wing though. If you add a true 1C and Michkov then this team is a whole lot better.
This is where the Flyers get into trouble in the past, where I jokingly said "Rebuild Complete". We're likely not going to know one way or the other until mid-summer. We then need to pivot quickly. We're moving out TK so its likely a push rather then a needle mover. Michkov comes over late and has to adjust to NA game, plus a new league, new teammates, language, city, and country.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKingPin

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
This is where the Flyers get into trouble in the past, where I jokingly said "Rebuild Complete". We're likely not going to know one way or the other until mid-summer. We then need to pivot quickly. We're moving out TK so its likely a push rather then a needle mover. Michkov comes over late and has to adjust to NA game, plus a new league, new teammates, language, city, and country.

Plus the inevitable "cheesesteak" weight gain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad