U18: Roster Team Canada

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Since a few rosters are starting to pop up I figured I'd start one for Canada.

Given the CHL schedule it's always difficult to predict, but my best guess as to which players may become available by the time mid April rolls around.

April 18-28. I think it's scheduled a little latter this year, so hopefully that has a positive impact on Canada's roster.

bolded are from the Hlinka tournament this past summer.

P Krebs K Dach S Mutula (would love D Cozens here, but alas highly unlikely he'll be available)
S Poulin R Suzuki J Williams
D Holloway
A Newhook J Perreault (Yannik's kid a '02 player)
E Keppen J Rees B Coe
Q Byfield (02)

M Robertson B Schneider
M Vukojevic M Guenette

T Harley K Korczak
G Ladd

T Gauthier
N Maier

M Guzda (dual citizen- was at Hlinka camp, didn't make the cut, but worth bringing 3 goalies.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Where is Lafreniere ?

2 things. QMGHL playoffs. RIM likely will go deeper than 2 rounds meaning he'll be unavailable. The 2nd. thing, if in the event Lafreneire does become available Hockey Canada has this rediciously stupid unofficial graduation rule. whereby now that he's played a U20 tournament Hockey Canada will not return him to a U18 tournament. stupid rule. but Hockey Canada is the home of stupid rules.

Why would Cozens not be available

same as above. DUB playoffs. It's my loose prediction of playoff matchups winners/losers in the first 2 rounds. The team is likely to be entirely different than the one I predicted.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
2 things. QMGHL playoffs. RIM likely will go deeper than 2 rounds meaning he'll be unavailable. The 2nd. thing, if in the event Lafreneire does become available Hockey Canada has this rediciously stupid unofficial graduation rule. whereby now that he's played a U20 tournament Hockey Canada will not return him to a U18 tournament. stupid rule. but Hockey Canada is the home of stupid rules.

Obviously anything can happen but Rimouski probably isn’t getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. There’s 4 teams that are clearly ahead of them and they’re kind of lumped in with 3 or 4 other contenders, that could make some noise but are a clear notch below the top teams.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Krebs- Newhook- Dach
Pelletier- Suzuki- Mutala
Holloway- Rees- Williams
Poulin- Byfield- Perreault
Blaisdell

Robertson- Constantinou
Harley- Korczak
Vukojevic- Spence
Drysdale

Maier
Gauthier
Basran

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Obviously anything can happen but Rimouski probably isn’t getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. There’s 4 teams that are clearly ahead of them and they’re kind of lumped in with 3 or 4 other contenders, that could make some noise but are a clear notch below the top teams.

you're probably right. in which case we only need to overcome the internal Hockey Canada graduation rule.

we need to check on Perreault's status as well. he may not qualify just yet as a dual citizen. IIHF rules state a dual citizen must play in country 2 years before being eligible to play for his chosen country. If I'm not mistaken this is Perreault's 1st. year back in Canada.

Any other '02s in the running? what about Saginaw's Cole Perfetti?

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Saginaw is poised to make a deep run in the playoffs so he wouldn’t be available but Drysdale from Erie will be as they will likely lose in first round if they make the playoffs at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am assuming usa and finland be the favorites again?

USA is the big favorite. We haven't lost an international game with this age group since they came to the NTDP. This is the most talent we've ever had in any age group at the NTDP.

Finland should have a good team. Russia has done well at a lot of the international tournaments with this age group. Sweden will need a lot of their younger players to step up, so they might be more likely to do well next year.

Canada, as always, it'll depend on who gets released. They don't usually do well at this tournament, despite usually having the best players.

Reactions: MattiasSnall

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Saginaw is poised to make a deep run in the playoffs so he wouldn’t be available but Drysdale from Erie will be as they will likely lose in first round if they make the playoffs at all.

perhaps the other U17 standout Connor McClennon would be an option. Haven't followed him at all this year. why so few games played? did he miss time due to injury or just rookie in and out of the lineup sort of deal?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
update. available or likely to become available. 4 '02 players is pushing the envelope, I'd prefer no more than 3, but the 4 are all pretty high 2020 1st. rounders, and I really want Byfield to be there.

Krebs Dach McClennon (02)
Poulin Suzuki Williams/Cozens (1 of these 2 players will be available)
Holloway Newhook Foudy (02)
Pelletier Rees Mutula
Q Byfield (02)

Harley Schnieder
Vukojevic Drysdale (02)
Lee Korczak
Guenette

Gauthier
Maier
Guzda

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
If we crash in the 2nd round to Niagara/Ottawa, I imagine Murray, Byfield, and possibly Ross would get serious looks.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Byram will probably not be available? Or too old?

Excited to watch Dach, Krebs, Newhook, Pelletier, and potentially Cozens.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
With the CHL regular season coming to an end soon, here's my hopeful projection at the roster. A pretty solid roster, I think it should be able to contend for gold.

Krebs - Suzuki - Poulin
Rees - Perreault - Foudy
Holloway - Zary - Tracey
Keppen - Fowler - Mutala
McClennon

Harley - Drysdale
Vukojevic - Schneider
Staios - Korzcak
Constantinou

Gauthier
Greaves

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
With the CHL regular season coming to an end soon, here's my hopeful projection at the roster. A pretty solid roster, I think it should be able to contend for gold.

Krebs - Suzuki - Poulin
Rees - Perreault - Foudy
Holloway - Zary - Tracey
Keppen - Fowler - Mutala
McClennon

Harley - Drysdale
Vukojevic - Schneider
Staios - Korzcak
Constantinou

Gauthier
Greaves
Dach? The Blades made the playoffs, but there's still over a month until the U-18s. Hopefully he can make it.

I really hope some of Cozens/Pelletier/Newhook/Foudy are available too. What do you think the chances of that are?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Dach? The Blades made the playoffs, but there's still over a month until the U-18s. Hopefully he can make it.

I really hope some of Cozens/Pelletier/Newhook/Foudy are available too. What do you think the chances of that are?
Cozens will play Calgary in the 1st round and I'm sure they'll win. Saskatoon faces Moose Jaw and I expect Saskatoon will win. I think it is too late to wait for 2nd round matchups to conclude, so I'm going with 1st round exits + didn't make playoffs.

I think Pelletier and Foudy make it to the 2nd round.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

50-50 whether Newhook is available. BCHL just went into the second round. They won the division, but are playing Powell River, who won six of eight against them in the regular season.

If Victoria wins their second round series, the third round could likely stretch to the second week of April. Anyone remember when Hockey Canada named the team last year?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
50-50 whether Newhook is available. BCHL just went into the second round. They won the division, but are playing Powell River, who won six of eight against them in the regular season.

If Victoria wins their second round series, the third round could likely stretch to the second week of April. Anyone remember when Hockey Canada named the team last year?

Camp roster was announced on April 5th. players reported on the 8th. 21 players. they departed for Russia on the 10th. with a couple of roster spots open in case they wanted to fly any players over late tournament in progress.

They'll do the same this year with the added bonus that it's in Sweden. a little easier travel than Magnitogorsk/Chelyabinsk, Russia.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Krebs - Suzuki - Poulin
Rees - Perreault - Foudy
Holloway - Zary - Tracey
Keppen - Fowler - Mutala
Legare/Pelleter

Harley - Drysdale
Vukojevic - Schneider
Staios - Korzcak
Constantinou

Gauthier
Greaves
Dach sweeps the Warriors. Unlikely to get him. Legare or Pelletier guaranteed. Maybe Parent and Barron, Halifax down 1-2 to Quebec.

Poulin is probably a no, he's up 3-1. Edmonton is 2-2 with MH, Robertson is a possibility, Byram is up 2-1 on Seattle.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Dach sweeps the Warriors. Unlikely to get him. Legare or Pelletier guaranteed. Maybe Parent and Barron, Halifax down 1-2 to Quebec.

Poulin is probably a no, he's up 3-1. Edmonton is 2-2 with MH, Robertson is a possibility, Byram is up 2-1 on Seattle.
Byram now tied 2-2. Cozens up 2-1.

Is Peyton Krebs likely to be captain?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Surprised this thread is so dead. Canada now likely gets Thomas Harley if he's willing to play for Canada (duel-citizen).

Byfield advances, so unlikely to see him there. Chicoutimi is out, so it will be interesting to see if Lapierre or Rochette get an invite.

This IIHF U18 tournament is for the hard core prospect watchers and pro scouts. It's not a priority for hockey fans because Hockey Canada/CHL do not see it as a priority tournament.

I'd probably leave a roster spot open for Byfield. I doubt Sudbury survives for long v the '67s. depending on the first few games of that series go, I would probably leave 2 spots open Byfield/Murray. but only if I got the full 7 d-men spots allotted. If I think I may get a player like Bryam or Robinson, then I'll take 12 Fs and 6 D to start.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad