Roster Speculation part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The only player that had a tough time adjusting to Dan Bylsma's system was Zemgus Girgensons.
It just seemed like Girgensons was being flipped all over the line up last season.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The only player that had a tough time adjusting to Dan Bylsma's system was Zemgus Girgensons.
It just seemed like Girgensons was being flipped all over the line up last season.

I wouldn't assume line up flipping is indicative of a player's difficulty adjusting to a particular system... Moreover, Girgensons is one of only 2-3 Sabres who can play all 3 forward positions seemlessly, and probably the only one of those who could play on any of the 4 lines without major upheaval preciptating it.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I wouldn't assume line up flipping is indicative of a player's difficulty adjusting to a particular system... Moreover, Girgensons is one of only 2-3 Sabres who can play all 3 forward positions seemlessly, and probably the only one of those who could play on any of the 4 lines without major upheaval preciptating it.

It's more likely this. With a guy who can play anywhere up front, you're more likely to move him in an effort to help the team, not The individual player. Meaning, ZG being shifted all over isn't to try to get him going.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
I'm gonna take a crack at what Buffalo's line up might look like for the 2016-17 season.

LW R. O'Reilly C Eichel RW Reinhart
LW E. Kane C Ennis RW Okposo
LW Moulson C Girgensons RW Fasching
LW Foligno C Larsson RW Gionta

LD Kulikov RD Ristolainen
LD McCabe RD Bogosian
LD Gorges RD Franson

#1 G Lehner
#2 G Nilsson

Scratched list
LW Deslauriers
C C. O' Reilly
RD Nelson

1st call up for a forward would be RW Bailey, for defense would be J. Falk and Goaltender Kasdorf

Honorable mentions
A. Nylander < return to Mississauga OHL < more development
Vesey < unsigned < would make line up if signed by Buffalo

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm gonna take a crack at what Buffalo's line up might look like for the 2016-17 season.

LD McCabe RD Bogosian
LD Gorges RD Franson

#1 G Lehner
#2 G Nilsson

Scratched list
LW Deslauriers
C C. O' Reilly
RD Nelson

1st call up for a forward would be RW Bailey, for defense would be J. Falk and Goaltender Kasdorf

Honorable mentions

I think the notion that Bylsma would play Ennis at C over both ROR and Reinhart to be more than a little crazy.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

LD McCabe RD Bogosian
LD Gorges RD Franson

#1 G Lehner
#2 G Nilsson

Scratched list
LW Deslauriers
C C. O' Reilly
RD Nelson

Honorable mentions

Ennis will never play Center for us again.

C Depth for us IMO is this order on opening day:

ROR
Eichel
Girgensons
Reinhart
Larsson

With pretty much Reinhart not playing center and maybe even girgensons playing wing the majority of the season if we dont sign Vesey. We would need to sign a 4C if thats the case

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised to see anything. Lineups are random from game to game, period to period.

Probably he doesn't start there, but all it takes is a cold streak, a hunch, and then some goals and boom, Ennis is at center for 20 games.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I wouldn't be surprised to see anything. Lineups are random from game to game, period to period.

Probably he doesn't start there, but all it takes is a cold streak, a hunch, and then some goals and boom, Ennis is at center for 20 games.

Ennis is behind Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Larsson and likely Girgensons in the pecking order for playing center. We'd have to be decimated with injuries at the center position for him to end up there.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ennis is behind Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Larsson and likely Girgensons in the pecking order for playing center. We'd have to be decimated with injuries at the center position for him to end up there.

Nah. We just need a couple cold lines and a hunch. All those guys can be healthy and the coach could just want to switch things up. The conceptual pecking order is right, what's wrong is assuming that determines how coaches make their lines.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

He played well IMO, he just didnt score. Murray, Bylsma, and fans are having a hard time figuring out where and how to use Girgensons.

He is the perfect match for line drivers like Eichel, Kane, and Ennis.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Ennis is not a center. switch ROR and Ennis. Kane did more "center" based on faceoff draws.

Scratched list
LW Deslauriers
C C. O' Reilly
RD Nelson

Nelson would go down to the AHL over sitting in the press box.
COR more likely to go down. I see Buffalo more likely to carry 8 Dmen over 14 forwards

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016

C Depth for us IMO is this order on opening day:

ROR
Eichel
Girgensons
Reinhart
Larsson

With pretty much Reinhart not playing center and maybe even girgensons playing wing the majority of the season if we dont sign Vesey. We would need to sign a 4C if thats the case

Ok! Buffalo's line up without Ennis at centre
LW E. Kane C O'Reilly RW Okposo
LW Moulson C Eichel RW Reinhart
LW Foligno C Girgensons RW Fasching
LW Deslauriers C Larsson RW Gionta

Sorry I don't follow the Sabres all that much, but I get the message that Ennis was bad as a centre and I forgot that Ennis got hammered by a hit in December 2015 and has been out ever since.

If Buffalo can sign Vesey that would set the Sabres up nicely for the season.

If Vesey did sign I'd have him on the top line as a LW. Then I'd move Kane, Moulson Foligno down 1 spot each, and then I'd take Deslauriers out of the line up.

Ennis is most likely going to end up on LTIR due to his post concussion syndrome.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Does Tyler Ennis hold any value at this point in time...
Ennis' Cap Hit is 4.6Mil for the next 3 seasons. Would a change in scenery help Ennis at all.

Ennis did put up decent numbers for the 13-14 season (43pts) and again in the 14-15 season (46pts).
But last season (15-16) was only held to 11pts due to the concussion and the post symptoms of concussion thereafter.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ennis' Cap Hit is 4.6Mil for the next 3 seasons. Would a change in scenery help Ennis at all.

Ennis did put up decent numbers for the 13-14 season (43pts) and again in the 14-15 season (46pts).
But last season (15-16) was only held to 11pts due to the concussion and the post symptoms of concussion thereafter.

He practiced fully by the end of the year. Didn't play him for precautions sake. His contract is fair for his production and he'll be healthy to start the season. He's valuable to us.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

More value to us hoping for a bounce back season than he has to any other team. Best case scenario is he manages to stay healthy and productive all this year and we can trade him on re-established value in the offseason in case his head problems return.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
More value to us hoping for a bounce back season than he has to any other team. Best case scenario is he manages to stay healthy and productive all this year and we can trade him on re-established value in the offseason in case his head problems return.

Best case scenario is he just comes back like he was and there's no reason to trade him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Best case scenario is he just comes back like he was and there's no reason to trade him.

I wouldn't trust those scrambled brains for 2 more years if I had a legit offer for him...if any combo of bailey, fasching, baptiste, carrier or vesey if he signs show signs of middle six life this year ennis and his contract are completely expendable to me. I hold him for now as he has limited value, hope for the best and cash out those last two years of his contract for an asset.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
He practiced fully by the end of the year. Didn't play him for precautions sake. His contract is fair for his production and he'll be healthy to start the season. He's valuable to us.

Well, that last sentence is debatable. I don't value him remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad