Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Why would the team waive an average player making league average?

As a 4th-liner, he is making more than league average for the slot. Personally, I like Foudy filling that role at this point.

Don't get me wrong, Engvall brings some solid things to the table, but Tsyp and Holmstrom are making him expendable since the top 3 lines are more set now.

Reactions: Potvottier

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Personally would rather have #16 over Engvall What do I know?

Pat LaFontaine?

Engvall is a good at getting the transition game going. He also seems to excel when he plays a complementary role on a line with at a physical winger on the other side. Gauthier seems a little lacking the IQ department.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
As a 4th-liner, he is making more than league average for the slot. Personally, I like Foudy filling that role at this point.

Don't get me wrong, Engvall brings some solid things to the table, but Tsyp and Holmstrom are making him expendable since the top 3 lines are more set now.
Foudy, Gauthier, Holmstrom, and Tsyplakov have a combined 407 NHL regular season games played while Engvall alone has 318.

I would be surprised if they traded or waived Engvall. He may not get the first crack in the lineup, but over the course of an 82 game season, I have concerns about the guys I mentioned above being effective over the course of the season.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
OK - looking a bit deeper I do wonder if Lou could move Engvall to Columbus- still unlikely- Waddell is looking for a trade to bolster the roster-

Hell, Lou could move both Engvall and Wahlstrom
I would do that. Gives Wally a shot somewhere else and gets us out of the Engvall contract

The best thing about Roy is the best players and most affective players will play. Engvall can’t play for him. Engvall does not play the style of game that Roy is ok with. I love that about Roy.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Foudy, Gauthier, Holmstrom, and Tsyplakov have a combined 407 NHL regular season games played while Engvall alone has 318.

I would be surprised if they traded or waived Engvall. He may not get the first crack in the lineup, but over the course of an 82 game season, I have concerns about the guys I mentioned above being effective over the course of the season.
Known vs. Unknown

Reactions: Throttle

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Possible very possible...

And to go a step further - does Waddell and the Blue Jackets claim him?
He is on record saying he wants to add - possibly via trade or waiver wire.
They need NHL forwards - 11 with Danforth now on IR and their 11th F is Owen Sillinger a career AHLer.

But 5 more seasons after this one?

It's intriguing to me.

Nobody is picking him up given the length of the deal. Maybe if he had like 1-2 years left at his caphit you might find somebody interested

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Waiving Engvall with the intent to send him to BP makes sense to the extent that the $1.1M of cap space you'd gain (basing this on Big L's post earlier) would allow them to keep an extra player on the roster to start the season. If Tsyplakov and others work out, then Engvall spends the season in BP (and maybe gets "Kulemined" next summer?). If not, they just bring Engvall back up. It gives them some flexibility if they need it. Having said all that, my guess is that they keep Engvall on the roster.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Waiving Engvall with the intent to send him to BP makes sense to the extent that the $1.1M of cap space you'd gain (basing this on Big L's post earlier) would allow them to keep an extra player on the roster to start the season. If Tsyplakov and others work out, then Engvall spends the season in BP (and maybe gets "Kulemined" next summer?). If not, they just bring Engvall back up. It gives them some flexibility if they need it. Having said all that, my guess is that they keep Engvall on the roster.

It's true that waiving Engvall saves a little over a million - that's slightly more than waiving Wahlstrom or Foudy, but it's not the difference between keeping an extra player on the roster or not.

Let's say right now Sorokin is on the opening day roster with Engvall as the 13th forward and Bolduc as the 7th D. That leaves the team 37.5k above the cap. If instead of Engvall, the 13th forward is Wahlstrom, that clears up another 150k - still, not close to adding another player. A player making the min would bring that to around 400k so still not enough to make a difference on the roster.

If you really believe in the ragtag group of AAAA players as much as Engvall, and want to get his contract off the books you need to trade him to another team - and it's possible it might take a low pick/prospect to do that, as well as getting around his NTC(lol, great contract Lou).

If a team like Columbus took Wahlstrom to take on Engvall's contract (and Engvall waives) we could clear his contract, wash our hands of Wahlstrom, and start the year with some rotation of Gauthier, Foudy, and Fasching for that last 8 minute a game wing spot with Cizikas and Maclean.

In all likelihood though Engvall will be around whether he's in the lineup or not, Fasching will start the year on IR, Wahlstrom and Foudy will be waived, and at least one of them will be claimed.

***also worth noting, if the team plans on starting the year with both Wahlstrom and Engvall on the roster, there will not be enough money for a seventh D man. IMO this greatly decreases Wahlstrom's chances of making the team.***

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
All the PTO junk gets put on waivers, they’ll get called up when an inevitable injury happens.

They’ll work the PTO marker on Martin for as long as he and the team want to do so. A forward injury probably gets him signed. Two injuries almost guarantees it. He’ll ride it out until Turkey day to see if he is needed or not. Highly unlikely he goes to another team due to the disruption in his life.

Wally either stays up and rides the bench (shocking) or Roy/Lou are comfortable trying to slide him through (Bellows) and if he’s taken, then they have the PTO players and/or Martin to take his place.

If Engvall goes on waivers (probably not, fan driven narrative), then it’s as a wake up call and cap savings for a limited period to give a PTO player a chance at the NHL again; when they slip (95% chance they do), PTO to AHL, Engvall back up.

Reactions: Osakahaus

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So the GM is going to waive a guy he signed to a long contract to keep a guy he got that's been waived several times already. Does anybody really think that sounds like LLs M.O.? I mean, several of you keep bringing it up in your armchair GM talks about what you would do, but you do know that's not going to happen, right?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's true that waiving Engvall saves a little over a million - that's slightly more than waiving Wahlstrom or Foudy, but it's not the difference between keeping an extra player on the roster or not.

Let's say right now Sorokin is on the opening day roster with Engvall as the 13th forward and Bolduc as the 7th D. That leaves the team 37.5k above the cap. If instead of Engvall, the 13th forward is Wahlstrom, that clears up another 150k - still, not close to adding another player. A player making the min would bring that to around 400k so still not enough to make a difference on the roster.

If you really believe in the ragtag group of AAAA players as much as Engvall, and want to get his contract off the books you need to trade him to another team - and it's possible it might take a low pick/prospect to do that, as well as getting around his NTC(lol, great contract Lou).

If a team like Columbus took Wahlstrom to take on Engvall's contract (and Engvall waives) we could clear his contract, wash our hands of Wahlstrom, and start the year with some rotation of Gauthier, Foudy, and Fasching for that last 8 minute a game wing spot with Cizikas and Maclean.

In all likelihood though Engvall will be around whether he's in the lineup or not, Fasching will start the year on IR, Wahlstrom and Foudy will be waived, and at least one of them will be claimed.

***also worth noting, if the team plans on starting the year with both Wahlstrom and Engvall on the roster, there will not be enough money for a seventh D man. IMO this greatly decreases Wahlstrom's chances of making the team.***
I wrote that waiving Engvall would enable them to keep (not add) another player on the roster. What I meant is that Engvall is kind of a "free" waiver in that he'll probably clear, but in the unlikely event if he doesn't and gets claimed they just cleared $3M from the cap for each of the next 6 years. Again, I'm not advocating this - I probably like Engvall more than most posters around here. Of the 13 forwards on the roster right now, I'd say Fasching and Wahlstrom are in the most danger if they want to make room for, say, Foudy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad