Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Nobody's rebuilding.

All the concerns anyone is sharing are basically about what paths can be (or could have recently been) taken to surround Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Sorokin, and Romanov with different elements or a different approach.

That's all.
That was the main argument 2 years ago - tear down rebuild versus re-tool on the fly. A full rebuild would have meant trading Sorokin and Barzal (there were people in favor of that), and Horvat and Romanov wouldn't have been acquired. If we're taking a trip back in time, let's be accurate about it.

At this point, now that the Barzal and Sorokin NMCs kicked in on 7/1, yes it's truly too late for a tear-down rebuild. So moving forward the discussion is merely about whether Lou is going about the re-tool in the best way. But that wasn't the case 2 years ago.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I’ve never had a Stanley Cup or bust attitude. You have me confused with Periferal. I’m looking for steady improvements to the roster and playoff results. We were on the way there, then starting in 2021-22 Lou’s misjudgments and failures sent us on a 3 year detour..
And now, compared to last season? Do you still think the returning roster is going in reverse, or are you hard stuck on 20-21 being the only season you compare against?

That was the main argument 2 years ago - tear down rebuild versus re-tool on the fly. A full rebuild would have meant trading Sorokin and Barzal (there were people in favor of that), and Horvat and Romanov wouldn't have been acquired. If we're taking a trip back in time, let's be accurate about it.

At this point, now that the Barzal and Sorokin NMCs kicked in on 7/1, yes it's truly too late for a tear-down rebuild. So moving forward the discussion is merely about whether Lou is going about the re-tool in the best way. But that wasn't the case 2 years ago.
I don't remember the retool involving them. My question two years ago during the start of the offseason was moving Nelson for a pretty big return if the Islanders are not squarely in the playoffs. We ended up sneaking in, but moving Nelson would have been more of a retool than young core pieces like Barzal and Sorokin.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Adding Duclair and the wildcard Tsyplakov , resigning Reilly for cheap to give Mayfield a mobile partner and by all accounts , a pretty good draft is a step in the right direction .

stop trading 1st round picks and you can become that team who finds value drafting in the 20th overall range . Planting the Eiserman seed is just a start

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And now, compared to last season? Do you still think the returning roster is going in reverse, or are you hard stuck on 20-21 being the only season you compare against?
Yes I do. This is largely an underperforming roster that continues to get a year older and not a year better.

You always compete against yourself and past benchmarks. Lou, instead of recognizing that the 2021 team overperformed and trying to improve the team by trading select pieces by selling high fell in love with the team and allowed it to become stagnant by failing to significantly upgrade that roster.

As for now, other than Anthony Duclair who I view as a career 2nd liner who will be slotted on the 1st line here, this is still largely a team that lacks finishers.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You always compete against yourself and past benchmarks. Lou, instead of recognizing that the 2021 team overperformed and trying to improve the team by trading select pieces by selling high fell in love with the team and allowed it to become stagnant by failing to significantly upgrade that roster.
A related issue is that the Islanders were underequipped to benefit from attempting to change course at that time. There was a clear lack of information wrt the quality/potential of prospects at that time, and so it required an increased investment in order to benefit. I really don't think that NYI were in a position to clean up at that time, say, how Dallas did.

But all that is in the past. Given where the team is now, there was never really any chance NYI could significantly alter the roster this year. At the deadline this year, there will be more opportunities because Nelson & Palmieri will be traded or expired, and Lee & JGP will have 1 year left. Of course, Romanov and Dobson will be up for contracts. So, I expect that offseason to be far more significant. Also, I think Marner is, and remains an interesting match for NYI. The decision about whether or not to go after a guy like that could have an extremely positive or negative impact on the org, and I haven't settled on any opinion about that yet.

At any rate, if you are right about how the season will go, it would be a natural time for the org to change directions, and I mean the GM. And early enough (i.e. before the deadline) to get a start on a pivot.

Reactions: MJF

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Yes I do. This is largely an underperforming roster that continues to get a year older and not a year better.

As for now, other than Anthony Duclair who I view as a career 2nd liner who will be slotted on the 1st line here, this is still largely a team that lacks finishers.
I agree with your take and I’ll add this.

It’s rare that I’ll give this version of Lou some credit but he had a decent offseason. That’s mainly because he did very little. Adding Duclair to a reasonable deal in an area of need and signing Reilly were good moves which give us a fighting chance to compete this year. The alternative scenario might’ve included adding futures to unload undesirable contracts or taking a flier on someone like Laine (no thanks). Meanwhile our bad contracts will age one more year and put us in a better position for the following offseason.

The next big decision in my mind is what Lou does with Nelson. That worries me.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree with your take and I’ll add this.

It’s rare that I’ll give this version of Lou some credit but he had a decent offseason. That’s mainly because he did very little. Adding Duclair to a reasonable deal in an area of need and signing Reilly were good moves which give us a fighting chance to compete this year. The alternative scenario might’ve included adding futures to unload undesirable contracts or taking a flier on someone like Laine (no thanks). Meanwhile our bad contracts will age one more year and put us in a better position for the following offseason.

The next big decision in my mind is what Lou does with Nelson. That worries me.
Agreed. Lou had a good off season. I’m most pleased with him keeping our draft picks and having Eiserman drop down to us.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Adding Duclair and the wildcard Tsyplakov , resigning Reilly for cheap to give Mayfield a mobile partner and by all accounts , a pretty good draft is a step in the right direction .

stop trading 1st round picks and you can become that team who finds value drafting in the 20th overall range . Planting the Eiserman seed is just a start
That's probably the most realistic path forward assuming Lou stays on for a while. Keep picks and restock the pipeline. Let guys age out (or maybe even move one or two for an asset - nah, who am I kidding?) and replace them with kids you develop. Having said that, I fully expect them to extend Nelson, for example (hopefully not for crazy term).

Last edited:
Reactions: Potvottier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That's probably the most realistic path forward assuming Lou stays on for a while. Keep picks and restock the pipeline. Let guys age out (or maybe even more one or two for an asset - nah, who am I kidding?) and replace them with kids you develop. Having said that, I fully expect them to extend Nelson, for example (hopefully not for crazy term).
You can trade Nelson if Wally turns into Brett Hull, but doubt that is happening.

I think Lou keeps Nelson with an marchasseault contract 4/5.5 and moves on Palms. If he sunsets Palms, Lee, and JGP in the next two years, the Isles have aged out their oldies. From there, its who are the newbies since NYI are not a UFA destination to cover for lack of prospects.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Some of what you say I agree with, but the 2021 season is far too removed to even be considered as a benchmark to judge against. Also, Lou added significant pieces to the roster every year, just not the pieces you wanted. They were still considered significant in the hockey world, though. Age works both ways, as the young players should get better and stronger. Our team is long in the tooth though, especially for the top 6. So I mostly agree with that.

I do agree we lack a finisher, and that's going to keep our PP mediocre and cost wins. Every sniper we draft doesn't work out due to their skating (MDC, Wahlstrom). As for Duclair...who has any idea where he's going to play yet? Seems premature to even guess where he will slot in other than saying he'll be in the top 6.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Time to send Holmstrom, Wahlstrom, George, Berg, and the rights to Iskhakov over to Winnipeg for Perfetti and Heinola.

Let's get this done, Lou.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Time to send Holmstrom, Wahlstrom, George, Berg, and the rights to Iskhakov over to Winnipeg for Perfetti and Heinola.

I would love for NYI to get a hold of Cole Perfetti, but not enough to think for one second that Holmstrom and that grab bag of projects or misfits tempts the Jets for even a moment.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
An informal poll based on these latest takes:

Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Half Full: 0.01%
Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Half Empty: 24.99%
Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Empty: 74.99%
Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Actually Aluminum: 0.01% (answered when he put the 'brownie' down)

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
An informal poll based on these latest takes:

Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Half Full: 0.01%
Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Half Empty: 24.99%
Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Empty: 74.99%
Isles Posters Who Believe the Glass is Actually Aluminum: 0.01% (answered when he put the 'brownie' down)

Isles posters who are just happy the glass exists: :baghead: (me)

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Isles posters who are just happy the glass exists: :baghead: (me)

I've gotten to know the former producer of the Gong Show, he's in my Happy Hour Social Group down here. Also produced the Dating Game and the Newlywed Game. Chuck Barris had fun with him by making him host the last episode of the Gong Show. His stories are great, and he was a Mepham grad.

Reactions: Lek

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Oh, I'm sure they will try him there first. But that might change as early as before camp ends. Just sayin', there's no doubt they'll try him there, but there's also no confidence that's where he'll stay.
So, they'll certainly try him there, but he may end up somewhere else.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

With all due respect, you always suggest the pro Isles/most lopsided trade proposals!

That is not getting you Perfetti.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That's probably the most realistic path forward assuming Lou stays on for a while. Keep picks and restock the pipeline. Let guys age out (or maybe even move one or two for an asset - nah, who am I kidding?) and replace them with kids you develop. Having said that, I fully expect them to extend Nelson, for example (hopefully not for crazy term).
A big factor will be the Cap rise, hoping we see a greater increase than the max 5%.

I think Nelson does get resigned unless they realistically have a shot at Marner or another big time UFA.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
With all due respect, you always suggest the pro Isles/most lopsided trade proposals!

That is not getting you Perfetti.

Sometimes Chapin is tongue in cheek, and you just got licked . . .

Perfetti has 29G in 140 NHL games (Holmstrom has 21G in 125), let's not make him out to be a star quite yet. Heinola hasn't even stuck in the NHL yet, was in the AHL all year last year.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I loved this offseason for Lou.

From personnel in the org it sucked to lose Korn but it's ok, replaced. PK came in dead last and coaching staff changed as a result.

Depth in Bridgeport seems to follow development path. Last year we were victimized on the third goalie option and Lou got a vet for that.

Draft we seemed to do really well. Got guys who dropped, Lou also traded down to replenish the depth.

Free agency we got McLean to a really good deal, no overpays in general. Duclair added with our subtractions being Martin and Clutter was really good, our LW depth needed it. Added 20 goals to the lineup. Keeping Reilly was also great.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I loved this offseason for Lou.

From personnel in the org it sucked to lose Korn but it's ok, replaced. PK came in dead last and coaching staff changed as a result.

Depth in Bridgeport seems to follow development path. Last year we were victimized on the third goalie option and Lou got a vet for that.

Draft we seemed to do really well. Got guys who dropped, Lou also traded down to replenish the depth.

Free agency we got McLean to a really good deal, no overpays in general. Duclair added with our subtractions being Martin and Clutter was really good, our LW depth needed it. Added 20 goals to the lineup. Keeping Reilly was also great.

Realistically I think the team will be in a bit of a holding pattern until they make a decision on Nelson/Palmieri and decide whether Lee/Pageau are worth keeping or getting rid of. And with that being said keeping the picks and restocking the cupboard was the right move.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Counterpoint: trade the 1st this year to go get a top 6 winger/puck moving defenseman to go win a cup if the opportunity exists

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad