Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
idk. it's pretty hard to make unexpectedly great moves these days.

in order for NYI to move on, they'd have to get significant return for their very scarce assets. and those scarce assets do not include a winger who scores on the PP, but was awful at even strength (Palmieri), or a 2nd line C who is a good complimentary scorer, but is streaky + doesn't bring a lot of speed or jam (Nelson). Certainly a 3rd line C who had an awful defensive year, and a defensive D who seems to be suffering from core/back problems shouldn't bring significant value.

NYI do have assets that are scarce - a RHD who is a transition star, a LHD who is a legitimate deterrent to puck carriers, and a goaltender who had a down year, but the skill is evidently tip-top. Barzal isn't as scarce as these, perhaps, but he's pretty exciting.

To significantly change direction while gaining assets (as opposed to mere cap space), NYI would have to trade rather than waste their scarce assets while moving lower-value pieces instead.

Folks can say NYI should have traded depreciating players (Pelech? Palmieri? JGP?) to gain cap space to add free agents, but imo that depends on assuming other GMs are incompetent or that UFA deals are certain. Neither assumption is reasonable.

I do understand criticizing NYI spending assets as recently as the 1st for Romanov, and the haul for Horvat. But imo moving on then would involve strongly considering moving on from Barzal and/or Sorokin. Sorokin would be a waste for a rebuilding team.

People can say that mediocrity is awful, etc. I guess it can be pretty bad. But can you imagine what it'd be like if the Islanders become the next Sabres, or Senators?

What I'm saying is that it would be a far bigger/more consequential/riskier decision to change directions than I think the media is considering. And I feel fairly confident that the criticism of NYI would be much harsher if they decided to rebuild.
Because the fantasy is crash and burn badly, be rewarded with 1-2, possibly 3 core pieces of elite talent, then by year 5 you are playoff team, years 6-10 a cup contender. Again, the fantasy… (then while competing for the cup year over year don’t trade any top draft picks to continue to compete, keep hoarding and building to infinity).

The fans will accept 3 years of losing, but by year 4 better be close to playoffs and 5 in it. Otherwise, the boo birds start coming and management turnover happens and the doom loop starts.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
idk. it's pretty hard to make unexpectedly great moves these days.

in order for NYI to move on, they'd have to get significant return for their very scarce assets. and those scarce assets do not include a winger who scores on the PP, but was awful at even strength (Palmieri), or a 2nd line C who is a good complimentary scorer, but is streaky + doesn't bring a lot of speed or jam (Nelson). Certainly a 3rd line C who had an awful defensive year, and a defensive D who seems to be suffering from core/back problems shouldn't bring significant value.

NYI do have assets that are scarce - a RHD who is a transition star, a LHD who is a legitimate deterrent to puck carriers, and a goaltender who had a down year, but the skill is evidently tip-top. Barzal isn't as scarce as these, perhaps, but he's pretty exciting.

To significantly change direction while gaining assets (as opposed to mere cap space), NYI would have to trade rather than waste their scarce assets while moving lower-value pieces instead.

Folks can say NYI should have traded depreciating players (Pelech? Palmieri? JGP?) to gain cap space to add free agents, but imo that depends on assuming other GMs are incompetent or that UFA deals are certain. Neither assumption is reasonable.

I do understand criticizing NYI spending assets as recently as the 1st for Romanov, and the haul for Horvat. But imo moving on then would involve strongly considering moving on from Barzal and/or Sorokin. Sorokin would be a waste for a rebuilding team.

People can say that mediocrity is awful, etc. I guess it can be pretty bad. But can you imagine what it'd be like if the Islanders become the next Sabres, or Senators?

What I'm saying is that it would be a far bigger/more consequential/riskier decision to change directions than I think the media is considering. And I feel fairly confident that the criticism of NYI would be much harsher if they decided to rebuild.
Great post.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

While I don’t exactly recall what grades the two hosts gave Lou, the take home message wasn’t very complimentary. They commented that it’s been three years of the same script with a team mired in mediocrity struggling to make the playoffs. They still feel that the playoffs next season are a possibility, but they are puzzled that anyone in the organization can expect a viable cup contender out of this middle of the pack, aging team.
they did change out more parts but they probably wont be doing any more drastic changes. I disagree with the aging aspect because the only aging parts are Nelson, Palms, Lee, and Pageau. They've removed Cal and Martin, they removed Bailey, and they're on their way out of removing guys like Pageau and Lee possibly. Engvall, Duclair, and Tsy have all been added in, and they could start using Holmstrom more. I have faith at the end of the day. If they stink this season, you have parts to sell, but they should be able to compete. The Metro is weak. Isles MUST take advantage of that, especially with how bad the Hurricanes and Penguins offseasons have been.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
CBJ just attached a 2nd with Laine to trade him. Crazy. If a team didn’t want Laine they should have made the trade and then waived him lol. He’s gonna score 30 if healthy in MTL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Columbus clearly didn’t want to retain or take back a significant amount of cap space so the options were limited.

Plus Harris should end up being a decent middle pairing guy long term.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
no sir , CBJ added a 2nd
NYI would have had to forego signing Duclair and would have had to trade Pageau + maybe Bolduc just to make the cap work.

That's implying Pageau wouldn't block a trade to CBJ and that CBJ would even have any interest in Pageau, who has a second year on his contract and is on the decline. Harris has room to grow and is under team control after his current deal (which is cheap).

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
According to the website we have a 10 LHD and 5 RHD in the org. Is that normal? Every time they draft or sign another LHD I’m always like… to play where??

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
According to the website we have a 10 LHD and 5 RHD in the org. Is that normal? Every time they draft or sign another LHD I’m always like… to play where??

Prolly doesn't mean anything but I'd have to say I've found it much more common to see lefty shooting Dmen on the right side than the other way around.

Then again, righty shot Dmen are seen as a premium.

We can't forget that prolly the majority of righthanded people who play shoot left.

In fact, I'd be willing to wager that upwards of 65% of all Dmen in the NHL are lefty shots.

Last edited:

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Prolly doesn't mean anything but I'd have to say I've found it much more common to see lefty shooting Dmen on the right side than the other way around.

Then again, righty shot Dmen are seen as a premium.

We can't forget that prolly the majority of righthanded people who play shoot left.

In fact, I'd be willing to wager that upwards of 65% of all Dmen in the NHL are lefty shots.
This is me lol. Righty that shoots left and plays left D but play on the right side sometimes especially when I’m feeling a bit offensive because I like to come down the right side and cut to the middle for a shot

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Out of any offseason, ours was what needed to be done. No real drama besides pressers being desperate for clicks as with the Duclair situation.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Former Isle and Stranger GM Neil Smith says "The Isles are Stuck In Park" :laugh:
Go to the 13:57 Mark to hear Smith speak about the Isles....

Reactions: Glorydays22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad