Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Fasching isnt bad. I think he's better suited for the 4th line. Lets see how this race goes down in the training camp
He sucks on the 4th line and that’s my problem
I’d take Fasching over Wahlstrom quite easily. At least Fasching isn’t a black hole defensively and doesn’t take nearly as many penalties. Wahlstrom blows.
I don’t think he’s good defensively and idk what he contributes

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
As of today , capwise - one of Tsyplakov / Wahlstrom need to be off the roster to be at 88 ish and I think we have an idea who that will eventually be .

Foudy could win a spot in camp over Fasching without causing a cap crunch as they both make 775k

Wahlstrom clearing waivers and reporting to B'port in good faith might be the best thing for his career
New York Islanders Contracts, Cap Hits and Salary Cap | Puckpedia

Reactions: impaaaaaact

SI

Feb 16, 2013
As of today , capwise - one of Tsyplakov / Wahlstrom need to be off the roster to be at 88 ish and I think we have an idea who that will eventually be .

Foudy could win a spot in camp over Fasching without causing a cap crunch as they both make 775k

Wahlstrom clearing waivers and reporting to B'port in good faith might be the best thing for his career
New York Islanders Contracts, Cap Hits and Salary Cap | Puckpedia
He signed a 1 year 1m one-way contract, so maybe that guaranteed $ and 1m cap hit prevents a team from claiming him.

If he did clear waivers, then his trade value would go up and maybe Isles could acquire a pick for him.
And the reasoning behind that would be a team could place him on their AHL team.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He signed a 1 year 1m one-way contract, so maybe that guaranteed $ and 1m cap hit prevents a team from claiming him.

If he did clear waivers, then his trade value would go up and maybe Isles could acquire a pick for him.
And the reasoning behind that would be a team could place him on their AHL team.
Philly claimed Bellows based on the scenario of a 1yr one-way deal.

Wally will get claimed bc teams can sell a low risk, high reward former 1st rounder needing a change of scenery, then blah, blah, blah his ‘shot’ blah, blah, blah.

Several years later he’s on a 2way deal with a former coach, he’s AHL bound for a GM that has familiarity with him when they need a call up.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m fine with Fasching on the 4th line. He can cycle, grind, bring a little offense, and has a good work ethic. Definitely an upgrade over MM. That said, he should never see the top-6 ever.

Reactions: FoxYou727

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Am I the only one who wouldn't be shocked to see:

Romanov-Dobson
Reilly-Pulock
Pelech-Mayfield
Bolduc

Pairs 2 and 3 get about equal icetime (Pulock gets some extra on the PP). Pelech-Mayfield is the #1 PK option.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles

Romanov-Dobson
Reilly-Pulock
Pelech-Mayfield
Bolduc

Pairs 2 and 3 get about equal icetime (Pulock gets some extra on the PP). Pelech-Mayfield is the #1 PK option.
I'd like this
Pelech and Pulock just have great chemistry so idk about separating them

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Reilly going to be unseated or any pp time. Asking for fantasy purposes, thanks in advance
he improved the puck movement on pp2 but only had 5 pp assists

24 points total in 59 games so he might flirt with 35 points next season so thats not too shabby for fantasy hockey depth d (depending on size of league of course)

Reactions: SundherDome

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I’m sure more than a few of us here listen to the NHL network on Sirius. As they always do, they give team by team grades, whether it be for the draft or the off-season GM moves.

While I don’t exactly recall what grades the two hosts gave Lou, the take home message wasn’t very complimentary. They commented that it’s been three years of the same script with a team mired in mediocrity struggling to make the playoffs. They still feel that the playoffs next season are a possibility, but they are puzzled that anyone in the organization can expect a viable cup contender out of this middle of the pack, aging team.

I hate when I hear that, but I have a hard time taking the counter argument. I’Il still play the loyal fan part but it’s getting harder to be optimistic about this squad short term. The silver lining for me is that Lou could’ve doubled down in the offseason and he basically stood pat. That’s a plus considering everything.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I’m sure more than a few of us here listen to the NHL network on Sirius. As they always do, they give team by team grades, whether it be for the draft or the off-season GM moves.

While I don’t exactly recall what grades the two hosts gave Lou, the take home message wasn’t very complimentary. They commented that it’s been three years of the same script with a team mired in mediocrity struggling to make the playoffs. They still feel that the playoffs next season are a possibility, but they are puzzled that anyone in the organization can expect a viable cup contender out of this middle of the pack, aging team.

I hate when I hear that, but I have a hard time taking the counter argument. I’Il still play the loyal fan part but it’s getting harder to be optimistic about this squad short term. The silver lining for me is that Lou could’ve doubled down in the offseason and he basically stood pat. That’s a plus considering everything.

One thing I've learned over the years when it comes to public media, whether sports, CNBC, politics, etc., is that if everyone makes the same prediction/review, no one gets canned down the line.

Somehow, there's always a few teams that "surprised us all" each year, in all sports.

Blah, blah, blah . . .

Reactions: LeapOnOver

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
One thing I've learned over the years when it comes to public media, whether sports, CNBC, politics, etc., is that if everyone makes the same prediction/review, no one gets canned down the line.

Somehow, there's always a few teams that "surprised us all" each year, in all sports.

Blah, blah, blah . . .

If a fund manager, if your financial adviser had the rate of return for his/her last 3 years that the Islanders had, you’d make a change.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Boomer is very good analyst, his sidekick Jake is just a follower on the show and kinda useless. Just a side note, two seasons ago when FL was out of the playoff race in January, he said there was no way they were making the playoffs and call it a day - FL made the playoffs by … backing in just like the Isles on the last week of the season and went to the finals.

Boomer’s position is don’t be in the middle, be very bad and HOPE you get the top end talent at the top of the draft year over year. At the same time, they question and mock the perennial up and comers (OTT, BUF, DET, CLB, now ANA, etc.) that the rebuilds are taking forever…

An owner sees the playoffs 5 of 6 seasons, a GM that went for it, a GM turning over the roster (albeit slowly), and investing in homegrown talent (Barzal, Dobson, Sorokin).

Lou can go, but until that talent steps up in the playoffs, yeah, not gonna matter who the GM is.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Boomer is very good analyst, his sidekick Jake is just a follower on the show and kinda useless. Just a side note, two seasons ago when FL was out of the playoff race in January, he said there was no way they were making the playoffs and call it a day - FL made the playoffs by … backing in just like the Isles on the last week of the season and went to the finals.

Boomer’s position is don’t be in the middle, be very bad and HOPE you get the top end talent at the top of the draft year over year. At the same time, they question and mock the perennial up and comers (OTT, BUF, DET, CLB, now ANA, etc.) that the rebuilds are taking forever…

An owner sees the playoffs 5 of 6 seasons, a GM that went for it, a GM turning over the roster (albeit slowly), and investing in homegrown talent (Barzal, Dobson, Sorokin).

Lou can go, but until that talent steps up in the playoffs, yeah, not gonna matter who the GM is.
I agree with your take on the analysts.

As far as Lou goes, it’s now 3 years of the same old and while some players have changed, this team is by and large similar to those squads.

If we tread water through the middle of the season, then this organization will be at an inflection point. Cut bait and get assets for Palmieri and Nelson assuming they are healthy and productive or worse yet, double down and continue on a path that hasn’t worked out.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Romanov-Dobson
Reilly-Pulock
Pelech-Mayfield
Bolduc

I would agree that’s the top 7. I think Bolduc will come along nicely, if the D remains healthy and his minutes are managed vs being thrown overboard as an injury replacement on minutes.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Reilly going to be unseated or any pp time. Asking for fantasy purposes, thanks in advance

He will most likely be the QB on PP2. Full training camp with the team this time around and the Isles finally gave up on Aho who was manning that spot in the first half of 23-24.

Problem is that PP2 is truly a poor unit so he won't be racking up any big time points there due to the group around him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He will most likely be the QB on PP2. Full training camp with the team this time around and the Isles finally gave up on Aho who was manning that spot in the first half of 23-24.

Problem is that PP2 is truly a poor unit so he won't be racking up any big time points there due to the group around him.
If someone is buying low, he could net 40-50 points if the stars align.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
It's the typical braindead journo opinion based on the position of having no stake in the process and an inability to imagine having one.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
idk. it's pretty hard to make unexpectedly great moves these days.

in order for NYI to move on, they'd have to get significant return for their very scarce assets. and those scarce assets do not include a winger who scores on the PP, but was awful at even strength (Palmieri), or a 2nd line C who is a good complimentary scorer, but is streaky + doesn't bring a lot of speed or jam (Nelson). Certainly a 3rd line C who had an awful defensive year, and a defensive D who seems to be suffering from core/back problems shouldn't bring significant value.

NYI do have assets that are scarce - a RHD who is a transition star, a LHD who is a legitimate deterrent to puck carriers, and a goaltender who had a down year, but the skill is evidently tip-top. Barzal isn't as scarce as these, perhaps, but he's pretty exciting.

To significantly change direction while gaining assets (as opposed to mere cap space), NYI would have to trade rather than waste their scarce assets while moving lower-value pieces instead.

Folks can say NYI should have traded depreciating players (Pelech? Palmieri? JGP?) to gain cap space to add free agents, but imo that depends on assuming other GMs are incompetent or that UFA deals are certain. Neither assumption is reasonable.

I do understand criticizing NYI spending assets as recently as the 1st for Romanov, and the haul for Horvat. But imo moving on then would involve strongly considering moving on from Barzal and/or Sorokin. Sorokin would be a waste for a rebuilding team.

People can say that mediocrity is awful, etc. I guess it can be pretty bad. But can you imagine what it'd be like if the Islanders become the next Sabres, or Senators?

What I'm saying is that it would be a far bigger/more consequential/riskier decision to change directions than I think the media is considering. And I feel fairly confident that the criticism of NYI would be much harsher if they decided to rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00