Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Still think there is a move that will be made before the end of August where a competition for one spot between the two will be moot.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think Anders Lee may post here ;):

"“We can do a better job of putting ourselves in a position where we’re not grinding and grinding out the last few months of the regular season and spending a lot of that effort into getting into the playoffs," he said. “That’s the hardest thing to do. We need to put ourselves in a position that we’re ready to go from Day One and then keep that through all 82 games and into the playoffs."

Or, maybe not.... :laugh:

Do you think they read what is posted here?

:sarcasm:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The problem is the Isles don't have the cap space for a 13th forward. It'll be a 22 man roster.

It's quite easy really, Wahlstrom, McLean, Tsyplakov and Fasching fighting it out for three roster spots. Gauthier and Karlstrom as outsiders who need a monster camp to beat anyone out, but will likely not.
22 man roster likely means 13 f, 7 d, and 2 goalies.

Reactions: impaaaaaact and SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If there wasn’t a market for Wahlstrom before he got hurt, why would there be a market for him now at a higher salary?

If he doesn’t win a job out of camp, I think Wahlstrom stays up as the 13th forward. I can’t see Lou waiving him and risk losing him for free. Lou values Wahlstrom more than any other GM.
Then that means Tsyplakov goes to Bridgeport.
That is the only move where the math works out for a 22 man roster.
Unless they send down Maclean, waive Fasching, and go with a 21-man roster that would force Wahlstrom into the lineup.
The only other way for him to make the roster by opening day would be if someone over 1m is put on IR.

He is either waived claimed or unclaimed or traded.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
3 years @ 2.5 on Casey would be an easy addition for some teams looking for veteran presence / good 4th liner . I'd imagine Verbeek would like someone like Zeeker

see what you have in foudy / karlstrom at camp towards remaking the 4th line .

Reactions: MJF

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
3 years @ 2.5 on Casey would be an easy addition for some teams looking for veteran presence / good 4th liner . I'd imagine Verbeek would like someone like Zeeker

Cizikas is going nowhere. There’ll be some nice competition for the 4th line this year with the likes of Foudy, Karlstrom and Gauthier all having played in the NHL, but don’t expect either to make the team.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here are two names of players that have been rumoured to be on the move that would work as a straight up hockey trade for Wahlstrom -

Nick Robertson and Jacob Pelletier - they are small but have potential, both are also waiver exempt.

Another F is Jonathan Bergren, but he is not waiver exempt and would need to be signed for no more than 825K - I think a stronger option than Fasching

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Tsyplatkov should stay over Wahlstrom. Enough about calling him a Kovar until he plays a game
I like Whally but Lou apparently said he'd try to accomodate him but not trade for nothing . Whether thats more difficult now that he's locked in at 1 mil verses lets say 875 k remains to be seen .

Lou's motto is if you have time , use it .

Its just 7-27 , 6 or so weeks until camps start so I'd say the old man has time to move him or just waive him at camp . Teams all have tough decisions that time of year so he might clear waivers and play for B'port all year

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Here are two names of players that have been rumoured to be on the move that would work as a straight up hockey trade for Wahlstrom -

Nick Robertson and Jacob Pelletier - they are small but have potential, both are also waiver exempt.

Another F is Jonathan Bergren, but he is not waiver exempt and would need to be signed for no more than 825K - I think a stronger option than Fasching
I love the idea of Robertson playing under Roy.

He does have a ton of injury issues though, but he's a low risk, super high reward player.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe

Karlstrom is my pick to turn some heads this year in camp. Not saying he becomes a star, but someone who is a pleasant surprise and may give Lou some options by the TDL.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Karlstrom is my pick to turn some heads this year in camp. Not saying he becomes a star, but someone who is a pleasant surprise and may give Lou some options by the TDL.
I agree , and worst case scenerio he's an experienced Scandanavian guy that can be a shoulder to lean on for the likes of Liukas , Odelius (if he comes over this year)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Bergren is the best of the lot.

Pelletier is however a Parise type thru and thru.

Always thought he'd be on Lou's radar.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Cizikas is going nowhere. There’ll be some nice competition for the 4th line this year with the likes of Foudy, Karlstrom and Gauthier all having played in the NHL, but don’t expect either to make the team.

I keep thinking about this.

Horvat, Nelson, Pageau, Cizikas, MacLean (going to the wing?), Karlström.

Barzal is already on the wing.

From the outside looking in, the quickest and easiest way to dump contract to some degree, likely without paying to dump it, is by moving Pageau or Cizikas.

Particularly Cizikas has to be easily movable. But his contract is half of that of Pageau.

Dunno what, if anything, will be done.

But these two are the guys that are likely the easiest to move and hurt the least to lose.

When he was in his early 20s and playing for Växjö, I really liked him as a two-way, allround prospect. He looked mature beyond his years in the SHL.

A 3-year AHL veteran now, too.

Gotta think he's as ready for the next step as it gets.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At this point there is nothing that makes Cizikas indispensable, other than he's a legacy in the room. If another team is interested in him I'll pack his bags and drive him to the airport. It would be helpful to get his contract off the books.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
At this point there is nothing that makes Cizikas indispensable, other than he's a legacy in the room. If another team is interested in him I'll pack his bags and drive him to the airport. It would be helpful to get his contract off the books.
It would, but his contract really isn't that big of a deal. it's all the others that are hurting the team. Cizikas is far from indispensable but trading him is not a Lou thing to do. Face it, the roster is 90% set and all that remains is a small fight for 4th line duty and 13th forward roles.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It would, but his contract really isn't that big of a deal. it's all the others that are hurting the team. Cizikas is far from indispensable but trading him is not a Lou thing to do. Face it, the roster is 90% set and all that remains is a small fight for 4th line duty and 13th forward roles.

His contract is not a big deal until it all of a sudden is. Martin went from having one of his better scoring seasons in his entire career to not being able to find a job. As much as I believe moving on from Pageau is the smartest move the organization can make I am fine with trading Cizikas.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
All the ones that are hurting the team need sweeteners to move. So keeping Cizikas because he’s “priced right” is cutting off your nose despite your face. When the time comes to make room because Lou brought Tsypkakov here to play in the NHL and finds there’s no market for Wahlstrom, then what?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Honestly, I prefer a 2025 pick in return. A 3rd?

I think we're at that point where most think it would be absolutely amazing (and thus, highly unlikely) if another team would actually offer up a draft pick for him.

That's why we've spent so much time thinking about other prospects out there stuck in a similar bind with their organization.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad