Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Trade Pageau (5M), replace with a suitable 3C (2.75M)
Trade Cizikas (2.5M), replace with player from Bridgeport (775k)

Roster is set for this season, but if they decide to do this next year it creates just about the same amount of space, give or take half a mil. Really only makes a difference cap wise if you’re replacing Pageau from within.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Trade Pageau (5M), replace with a suitable 3C (2.75M)
Trade Cizikas (2.5M), replace with player from Bridgeport (775k)

Roster is set for this season, but if they decide to do this next year it creates just about the same amount of space, give or take half a mil. Really only makes a difference cap wise if you’re replacing Pageau from within.
This is not possible. You don't have a player in Bridgeport or at that number in free agency that does what he does. You'd more be looking at trading JGP, Moving Zeke to 3rd line and having Mclean center 4 with Clutter back on a league minimum-ish deal.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We’re now looking at minimum $8.5mil AAV for Dobson. Probably closer to $9mil AAV.

Kinda wish this was a priority July 1st.

Faber is a stud but he’s not as accomplished as Dobson yet so now Dobson’s agents will point to the Faber contract. You can’t justify given Dobson less than that.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
This is not possible. You don't have a player in Bridgeport or at that number in free agency that does what he does. You'd more be looking at trading JGP, Moving Zeke to 3rd line and having Mclean center 4 with Clutter back on a league minimum-ish deal.
Exactly. So unless we reaaaallllly need 2M next season we aren’t parting ways with Pageau, especially if it requires a sweetener. He’s overpaid, but in the grand scheme of things it probably isn’t by that much.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Dobson is gonna come around the Barzal figure. I think he gets 8 x 9-9.5 per. Barzal got 8 x 9.15, I don't think it's that far fetched to see Dobson around that or at 9.5

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Dobson is gonna come around the Barzal figure. I think he gets 8 x 9-9.5 per. Barzal got 8 x 9.15, I don't think it's that far fetched to see Dobson around that or at 9.5

In all likelihood, Barzal will be the highest paid homegrown player and Dobson will slot behind him at $9 million most. LL has indicated that by his actions in contract negotiations with others.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
In all likelihood, Barzal will be the highest paid homegrown player and Dobson will slot behind him at $9 million most. LL has indicated that by his actions in contract negotiations with others.
Cap went up, barzal equivalent on a 92 million dollar cap is 10.08 cap hit

I still think 8-9 for Dobson

Reactions: doublechili

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'd have to imagine lou's been working on a Dobson extension prior to the Faber deal being announced . I'm more curious to see Romanov gets because Noah seems pegged for 8.5/9.5

maybe something in the Jake Middleton extension range of 4.3 x 3 for Romey however on edit ; a 3 year deal walks him to free agency .

Last edited:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd have to imagine lou's been working on a Dobson extension prior to the Faber deal being announced . I'm more curious to see Romanov gets because Noah seems pegged for 8.5/9.5

maybe something in the Jake Middleton extension range of 4.3 x 3 for Romey however on edit ; a 3 year deal walks him to free agency .
I’d be happy with a 4-5 million for Romy long term at 7-8 years

Reactions: doublechili

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
We’re now looking at minimum $8.5mil AAV for Dobson. Probably closer to $9mil AAV.

Kinda wish this was a priority July 1st.

Faber is a stud but he’s not as accomplished as Dobson yet so now Dobson’s agents will point to the Faber contract. You can’t justify given Dobson less than that.
One season in the NHL? Contracts like this and the Byfield one are ridiculous. These guys refuse to use whatever leverage they have to keep controllable players on board for reasonable salaries. Two years form today the Wild will have Brodin, Spurgeon, Faber and Middleton at almost 27 million as their top 4? Couldn't bridge a guy with one season under his belt or wait 40 games to see what happens this year? IDK.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
One season in the NHL? Contracts like this and the Byfield one are ridiculous. These guys refuse to use whatever leverage they have to keep controllable players on board for reasonable salaries. Two years form today the Wild will have Brodin, Spurgeon, Faber and Middleton at almost 27 million as their top 4? Couldn't bridge a guy with one season under his belt or wait 40 games to see what happens this year? IDK.
I agree with you. Faber had no leverage. Yes, he showed well but he has 82 games under his belt and is controlled (RFA) for multi years. Will he be worth the contract? Most likely but organizationally there was no reason at all to do this type of deal now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It’s contracts like the Faber one that is crippling the NHL and the cap system. Ultimately it will end up in another lockout. When players with only a few years experience and no leverage, and middle of the road UFAs are given 7-8 years on a regular basis, it will end in disaster.
Owners buying out the first few years of UFA versus bridge deals leading to more expensive deals at age 26.

This trickles down to squeezing the 32 year old player getting a bigger piece of the pie at contract time.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I'd prepare for an 8 figure contract for Dobson. Faber will be able to sign another big contract at age 29... Dobson will be 33 if he takes an 8 year deal. Dobson has outscored Faber's 47 points each of the past three seasons, putting up 70 last year. If he puts up 65-70 again I think we're looking at more like 11.5M

Reactions: isles55

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'd prepare for an 8 figure contract for Dobson. Faber will be able to sign another big contract at age 29... Dobson will be 33 if he takes an 8 year deal. Dobson has outscored Faber's 47 points each of the past three seasons, putting up 70 last year. If he puts up 65-70 again I think we're looking at more like 11.5M
Yikes

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Good points. I'm guessing most GMs aren't worried about this far down the line, but one benefit of signing a 21 year old to an 8 year contract rather than a bridge is that on the back end you're not facing the issue of negotiating with a 32 or 33 year old who wants an 8 year deal.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Only thing holding Dobson back from a big pay day is his playoff game

Love Dobson but my reservation about him is that he is not holding up over the length of a full season as of now. I think if the Isles defensive depth does not force them to play the guy thirty minutes a game for two months he should be much better come playoff time.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
It’s contracts like the Faber one that is crippling the NHL and the cap system. Ultimately it will end up in another lockout. When players with only a few years experience and no leverage, and middle of the road UFAs are given 7-8 years on a regular basis, it will end in disaster.
Exactly
“Smart” GM’s trying to get ahead of the curve? Locking up players early? It works when you hit, when they don’t it fu*€s everyone else, cause you’ve artificially raised the pay scale.

What’s the saying? The lockout wasn’t to help parity, or save the league, it was to protect the owners from themselves?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Love Dobson but my reservation about him is that he is not holding up over the length of a full season as of now. I think if the Isles defensive depth does not force them to play the guy thirty minutes a game for two months he should be much better come playoff time.

I think people are also forgetting that he was injured in the last regular season game he played, before coming back for the playoffs. It’s likely that he was still playing through an injury.

I do agree he has tended to regress towards the spring the last couple of seasons, but hopefully with more strength and experience that gets resolved.

Right now I would take Dobson for 8 years and anything 10 million or under. If he doesn’t accept that wait until next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad