Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Reactions: periferal

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
We should designate the last week in July as Dilbury week. The only time we post anything about him during the year and then, bury him in the past where he belongs.

Not sure how this would stack up against other, ahem, GMs but, I picked a year when the Isles were fairly successful and ownership was seemingly stable; 2002-03. He had been in charge over a decade. There was only 1 Islander draft pick that year the played 50 or more games. The Islanders had been awful for almost all of his tenure and an 8th round draft pick is the only draft pick that's regular. Radek Martinek. Amazing. In the 6 drafts between 1995-2000, we made 10 top 10 selections, Only two of those players appear on the 02/03 roster and one of them is gone before the end of the season.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We should designate the last week in July as Dilbury week. The only time we post anything about him during the year and then, bury him in the past where he belongs.

Not sure how this would stack up against other, ahem, GMs but, I picked a year when the Isles were fairly successful and ownership was seemingly stable; 2002-03. He had been in charge over a decade. There was only 1 Islander draft pick that year the played 50 or more games. The Islanders had been awful for almost all of his tenure and an 8th round draft pick is the only draft pick that's regular. Radek Martinek. Amazing. In the 6 drafts between 1995-2000, we made 10 top 10 selections, Only two of those players appear on the 02/03 roster and one of them is gone before the end of the season.
Ahh!
But how many of them had solid careers AFTER he traded them?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Took the bait on a main board thread for 'Make your team's current Roster out of players your team drafted'

I landed on this...thoughts?

Beauvillier - Barzal - Niederreiter
Lee - Tavares - Strome
Holmstrom - Nelson - Wahlstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Okposo

Toews - Dobson
Pelech - Pulock
Wotherspoon - Mayfield

extra D: Bolduc / Spurgeon / Hamonic / deHaan / Aho

Sorokin
Koskinen?

Plethora of defensemen. Just keep rolling that 4th line out there until one of their legs fall off...

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Took the bait on a main board thread for 'Make your team's current Roster out of players your team drafted'

I landed on this...thoughts?

Beauvillier - Barzal - Niederreiter
Lee - Tavares - Strome
Holmstrom - Nelson - Wahlstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Okposo

Toews - Dobson
Pelech - Pulock
Wotherspoon - Mayfield

extra D: Bolduc / Spurgeon / Hamonic / deHaan / Aho

Sorokin
Koskinen?

Plethora of defensemen. Just keep rolling that 4th line out there until one of their legs fall off...
No Andong Song?

Reactions: Fist of Fury

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Ahh!
But how many of them had solid careers AFTER he traded them?
Some good some bad for sure but it is amazing to think that he had to continue to trade players that were picked at spots reserved for first and at second line players for mostly second and third line players. He also had to move the 2nd overall pick along with Chara to get Yashin.

Without going too crazy, a 2003 all draft pick team( post Ziggy trade, 92-02 picks) could have been;

Luongo
Salo

Brewer- Chara
Redden-McCabe
Martinek-Strudwick/Luckowich

Heatly - Spezza-Dumont
Bertuzzi-Jokinen-Torres
Pyatt-Conolly-Orzagh
Rupp-Armstrong-Tootoo

Spezza and Heatly the likely picks and the pick Tootoo was drafted with was one we traded for Vanbiesbrouck. Summer ramblings.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
An early look at next year's offseason, 2025-2026, situation -

The expected Cap for 2025-26 will be 92.5 - 93. I hope that with the inclusion of UTAH and no more COVID debt, the League will make more than last year, which was 6.8 B according to super agent Allan Walsh. By December or January, we may hear from the league that the cap may go higher than the 5% max increase the league and PA agreed to in the MOU in 2021. Hopefully, we do and see a projected Cap of greater than 95.

If that doesn't happen and the League sets it at the league MAX, i.e., say 93m, then let's take a deep dive into some possibilities.
The roster below shows the Isles roster (16-man roster) is at approximately 67 M, which is almost 26m under the cap (using 93).

Forwards
  1. Barzal 9.15 (NTC)
  2. Horvat 8.5 (NTC)
  3. Lee 7 (modified NTC 15 team - final year of the contract)
  4. Pageau 5 (modified NTC 16 team - final year of the contract)
  5. Duclair 3.5 (NTC - 3 years left)
  6. Engvall 3 (modified NTC 16 team - 5 years left)
  7. Cizikas 2.5 (2 years left)
  8. Maclean .775 (1 year left)
  9. Tsyplakov RFA
  10. Holmstrom RFA
  11. Nelson UFA
  12. Palmieri UFA
Defence
  1. Pulock 6.15 (NTC)
  2. Pelech 5.75 (Modified NTC 16 Team list)
  3. Mayfield 3.5 (NTC)
  4. Reilly 1.25
  5. Dobson RFA
  6. Romanov RFA
  7. Bolduc RFA
Goalie
  1. Soorkin 8.25
  2. Varlamov 2.75 (Modified NTC 16 Team with 2 years left)
We can expect RFAs to be re-upped -
These are just guesses -
  • Dobson 8y/9m
  • Romanov 8y/5.75m -
  • Bolduc 1y/.85 - exact same contract as Holmstrom this year
  • Holmstrom - 2y/1.5
  • Tsyplakov - 2y/2.25
The Isles 26m cap space quickly evaporates - to approximately 6.6.

The Isles could try to rid themselves of Lee and JGP's contract to gain more space.
I do not see a buyout of either rather trades with assets or very little return.
I see Lee being traded with a 2027 2nd to a team like San Jose or Anaheim, who will then quickly buy out Lee. This is a replica of the Bailey trade. Lee would be owed exactly 3m in cash over 2 years and the cap hit would be 4 and 1.5.

I could see JGP going for a late-round pick to jettison the final year of his contract with 5 AAV, but they could also want to keep JGP and move Cizikas.

Losing both these contracts the Isles could be at 18.6 m in cap space with a 17-man roster (8F - 7 D - 2 G).

Isles UFAs are Nelson and Palmieri.
IMO, I would resign Nelson and let Palmieri walk. You could also make the case of moving on from both, but since Isles have had little success of signing free agents, Nelson could be resigned, especially if he scores 30+ goals this coming season. If he does, then Nelson could want 20+ m, so a contract 3/7 or 4/6 could be the team friendly contract fans could expect.

Isles prospects -
I do not see any Isles prospects making the jump - you can make a case for Maggio, Dufour, Foudy, Eiserman, but each would benefit from an extra year of development.

Some key UFAs -
Marner, RW
Ehlers, F
Bennett, C
Verhaege, F
Konecny, RW
Boeser, RW
Vatrano, F
Mangiapane, LW

Below is a model where the Isles resign Nelson, do not trade JGP, trade Lee and his entire cap hit, and let Palmieri walk... 86.5 CAP hit for a 19-man roster that is only 6.5 m to sign 3 more F's - one that needs to be a top 6 (a Konency, Ehlers) and 2 bottom 6 Forwards (Olivier and Nic Aube-Kubel). They could move Varlamov and sign a cheaper backup to gain some more cap space and move Cizikas, especially if Foudy and Maclean prove they could take over the 4C.

Forwards
  1. Barzal 9.15 (NTC)
  2. Horvat 8.5 (NTC)
  3. Pageau 5 (modified NTC 16 team - final year of the contract)
  4. Duclair 3.5 (NTC - 3 years left)
  5. Engvall 3 (modified NTC 16 team - 5 years left)
  6. Cizikas 2.5 (2 years left)
  7. Maclean .775 (1 year left)
  8. Tsyplakov 2.25
  9. Holmstrom 1.5
  10. Nelson 7
Defence
  1. Pulock 6.15 (NTC)
  2. Pelech 5.75 (Modified NTC 16 Team list)
  3. Mayfield 3.5 (NTC)
  4. Reilly 1.25
  5. Dobson 9
  6. Romanov 5.75
  7. Bolduc .85
Goalie
  1. Soorkin 8.25
  2. Varlamov 2.75 (Modified NTC 16 Team with 2 years left)

Last edited:
Reactions: islesfan3913

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have an immense amount of respect for Neil Smith regarding his Isles tenure because unlike Milbury he would have rather give up the power than take it for a situation that clearly was not going to lead to success.

Especially since the Isles are basically the only team that hire coaches/GMs at that point in their careers...

Milbury
Henning
Smith
Gordon
Snow
Stirling
Nolan
Capuano
Weight
Lambert (feeling pretty safe about this one)

Prior to Malkin/Ledecky owning the Isles, Peter Laviolette was the one guy that actually got hired again after leaving here. Everyone else basically never worked again at that same level or above after leaving the Isles.

Years ago when I kept saying there was no hope under every previous owner...There was truly no hope.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Some good some bad for sure but it is amazing to think that he had to continue to trade players that were picked at spots reserved for first and at second line players for mostly second and third line players. He also had to move the 2nd overall pick along with Chara to get Yashin.

Without going too crazy, a 2003 all draft pick team( post Ziggy trade, 92-02 picks) could have been;

Luongo
Salo

Brewer- Chara
Redden-McCabe
Martinek-Strudwick/Luckowich

Heatly - Spezza-Dumont
Bertuzzi-Jokinen-Torres
Pyatt-Conolly-Orzagh
Rupp-Armstrong-Tootoo

Spezza and Heatly the likely picks and the pick Tootoo was drafted with was one we traded for Vanbiesbrouck. Summer ramblings.
You want a fun one? They traded a 2006 3rd to Boston for a 4th and 5th round pick. The 3rd round pick was used to select the rat himself, Brad Marchand. That would have fixed one of our top line wing spots for quite a few ugly years if he developed the same.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
So does that mean Isles don’t get another buyout window?
Interesting. Gave him more to avoid arb I think. Certainty helps with a trade? Right now they will be over the cap so would have to waive someone if no injuries.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If there wasn’t a market for Wahlstrom before he got hurt, why would there be a market for him now at a higher salary?

If he doesn’t win a job out of camp, I think Wahlstrom stays up as the 13th forward. I can’t see Lou waiving him and risk losing him for free. Lou values Wahlstrom more than any other GM.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If there wasn’t a market for Wahlstrom before he got hurt, why would there be a market for him now at a higher salary?

If he doesn’t win a job out of camp, I think Wahlstrom stays up as the 13th forward. I can’t see Lou waiving him and risk losing him for free. Lou values Wahlstrom more than any other GM.
The problem is the Isles don't have the cap space for a 13th forward. It'll be a 22 man roster.

It's quite easy really, Wahlstrom, McLean, Tsyplakov and Fasching fighting it out for three roster spots. Gauthier and Karlstrom as outsiders who need a monster camp to beat anyone out, but will likely not.

Reactions: MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't think they do, I think an award would have to be given (similar to Stastney and NSH).

1721946509971.png

Reactions: xECK29x

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think Anders Lee may post here ;):

"“We can do a better job of putting ourselves in a position where we’re not grinding and grinding out the last few months of the regular season and spending a lot of that effort into getting into the playoffs," he said. “That’s the hardest thing to do. We need to put ourselves in a position that we’re ready to go from Day One and then keep that through all 82 games and into the playoffs."

Or, maybe not.... :laugh:

Reactions: SI90

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If I'm interpreting the numbers on Puckpedia correctly (big "if"), right now the Isles would be going into camp with 14 forwards including Tsyplakov and would be $950k over the cap. Take away Tsyplakov or Wahlstrom and they're cap-compliant. Take away Fasching and they're still $175k over the cap. So, unless they make some bigger move, like dealing Cizikas, it looks to me like it will be Tsyplakov and Wahlstrom battling it out in camp. Right?

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
If I'm interpreting the numbers on Puckpedia correctly (big "if"), right now the Isles would be going into camp with 14 forwards including Tsyplakov and would be $950k over the cap. Take away Tsyplakov or Wahlstrom and they're cap-compliant. Take away Fasching and they're still $175k over the cap. So, unless they make some bigger move, like dealing Cizikas, it looks to me like it will be Tsyplakov and Wahlstrom battling it out in camp. Right?

I think this will be the case....

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
so another Kovar/Golyshev situation...
doubt Tsyplakov or Wahlstrom are anything more than bottom sixers but still

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad