Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The torn ACL injury could not have come at a worse time for him. His path to establishing his game at the pro level was completely disrupted.
Did it impact him? Sure. Did it impact his very obvious faults in the pro game that he didn’t improve on prior to the injury that was hampering his success at the nhl level? Absolutely not.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I still have a soft spot for Wahlstrom but the end is probably near for his isles tenure unless theres been communication between him and lou-roy towards a fresh start / new attitude .

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
LL said that Whally is dealing with a serious injury, and sometimes it isn't easy to come back. I don't see why they would just give him away.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. However, I'll point out that Chara skated like a baby giraffe when he first came up, and look what he turned into. And the reason was his effort and willingness to work to improve. So "couldn't get up to NHL speed" and "effort and willingness" might overlap.
Chara's athleticism at 18 had to catch up to his size. Along the way his size and physicality kept him in the picture. DalColle, when the realization sank in that his offense might not be NHL level to the same degree it was in juniors, worked pretty hard to try and reinvent himself as a bottom sixer. I'm sure it was difficult to look past his draft position and accept him as a 4th liner. May have even been a Covid causality. His first real season was 19/20. The next season for him was a rough one.

The Chara always bothered me because I had wished it would have been Kenny Jonsson instead. The idiot Milbury could have had a top 4 of Hamrlik, Aucoin, Chara and either Redden or Berard.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
LL said that Whally is dealing with a serious injury, and sometimes it isn't easy to come back. I don't see why they would just give him away.

And Rosner has reported that Lou stated they would not be giving him away.

Sooo, he wouldn't just see Wally walk away from this organization for nothing, right?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The Chara always bothered me because I had wished it would have been Kenny Jonsson instead. The idiot Milbury could have had a top 4 of Hamrlik, Aucoin, Chara and either Redden or Berard.
Kenny was such a quiet and steady defenseman though. It’s a shame his concussion issues essentially ruined his career. The closest this team has came to a similar player since then was Andy Greene.

Reactions: Lek and WangMustGo

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Kenny was such a quiet and steady defenseman though. It’s a shame his concussion issues essentially ruined his career. The closest this team has came to a similar player since then was Andy Greene.
I always felt Hamrlik was the best defenseman we had in this era. Didn't love moving Redden but stupid is as stupid does. I wasn't the biggest KJ fan but moving past that, A top four of Hamrlik, Oakie, KJ and Berard or Redden would have been better than what we had for sure going into the Toronto series. Berard would have been a nice compliment for that group.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I always felt Hamrlik was the best defenseman we had in this era. Didn't love moving Redden but stupid is as stupid does. I wasn't the biggest KJ fan but moving past that, A top four of Hamrlik, Oakie, KJ and Berard or Redden would have been better than what we had for sure going into the Toronto series. Berard would have been a nice compliment for that group.
It’s just that Kenny was so quiet out there that he was barely noticeable. That’s a huge plus honestly. For the reverse, we got to watch Sebastian Aho get out muscled how many times recently? Yeah I’ll take the invisible guy any day of the week. Redden and Berard were basically a coin flip then. Who knows how good Berard would have truly been if it were not for his eye injury.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Kenny was one of my fav's from that era . What was sad about the situation is that he never came back after the full year lockout when he still had some juice left in the tank .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
While I do not believe Wahlstrom will amount to what we had hoped it would be I also see no reason to trade him unless it is part of a package or another struggling goal scorer to be honest.
When Daniel Sprong signs a minimum 1 year contract, it's not looking so good for Wahlstrom's trade value or his arbitration case.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Berard or Redden over Niinimaa would have been an upgrade on an already strong top 4.

They traded Raffi Torres and Brad Isbister that season to get Niinimaa as well.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Berard or Redden over Niinimaa would have been an upgrade on an already strong top 4.

They traded Raffi Torres and Brad Isbister that season to get Niinimaa as well.
Niinimaa, I thought, was awful as an Islander, and by far the worst of the 4. If Martinek could have stayed healthy, he'd have been a better 2nd pair option.

he Chara always bothered me because I had wished it would have been Kenny Jonsson instead. The idiot Milbury could have had a top 4 of Hamrlik, Aucoin, Chara and either Redden or Berard
There are so many weird impulsive decisions from that era one could drive oneself crazy with them. But I do agree with you on preferring Hamrlik over KJ.

Reactions: JJ18Sniper

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Chara's athleticism at 18 had to catch up to his size. Along the way his size and physicality kept him in the picture. DalColle, when the realization sank in that his offense might not be NHL level to the same degree it was in juniors, worked pretty hard to try and reinvent himself as a bottom sixer. I'm sure it was difficult to look past his draft position and accept him as a 4th liner. May have even been a Covid causality. His first real season was 19/20. The next season for him was a rough one.

Don't forget Bryan McCabe too lol

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Niinimaa, I thought, was awful as an Islander, and by far the worst of the 4. If Martinek could have stayed healthy, he'd have been a better 2nd pair option.

There are so many weird impulsive decisions from that era one could drive oneself crazy with them. But I do agree with you on preferring Hamrlik over KJ.

Mike Mibury was the GM. He was an impulsive individual. Not many would climb into the stands and beat an opposing fan with a shoe.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The '02 Leafs series remains a top 5 playoff series of the 21st century 22+ years later, change my mind. I was 7 at the Shawn Bates game, loudest the Coliseum ever was imo.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The only thing Mike Milbury did that was any good!!
I was so happy when the Isles hired Milbury - mostly because of the hitting the Rangers fan over the head with a shoe thing. In retrospect, I should have realized that's not a very transferable skill to coaching/GMing.

Reactions: 12Dog

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I was so happy when the Isles hired Milbury - mostly because of the hitting the Rangers fan over the head with a shoe thing. In retrospect, I should have realized that's not a very transferable skill to coaching/GMing.

Statistical analytics is ruining this sport!

Reactions: doublechili

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Where is Mildewbury now? Was on NBC sports or something then poof

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The '02 Leafs series remains a top 5 playoff series of the 21st century 22+ years later, change my mind. I was 7 at the Shawn Bates game, loudest the Coliseum ever was imo.
I've only got post dynasty games to compare to, but that was also the loudest I've ever heard the Coliseum and I was at game 6 when they beat Pittsburgh to force the game 7 Volek OT.

I've mentioned this before so forgive me for being a broken record, but I swear I felt the Coliseum was the loudest when Bates was awarded the penalty shot. It's almost like fans knew he was going to score, lol.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Where is Mildewbury now? Was on NBC sports or something then poof
last time I heard from him was as a guest on bob mcgown / john shannon pod but theres this one from a awhile ago from spittin chiclets pod where he's not shy to tell some storys from boston / isles days . I actually like the Don Cherry story about the resiliente weed growing on the parkway that he made Milbury dig up .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad