Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Garth Snow's hires...

• Ted Nolan
  • Scott Gordon
  • Jack Capuano
  • Doug Weight
  • Chris Lamoriello

Not one of the 1st four names got another chance at the same position with any other NHL snow hired them for.

And no one in the NHL decided to hire the "well respected" Chris Lamoriello for ANY position other than Snow and his father.

How anyone can be more confident than skeptical (at minimum) in Chris L doing a job no one else even considered him for in 30 years is beyond logic.
Somewhat surprised Gordon didn't get another shot. He was trending up when hired. That roster he had was a disaster. Vets worked against him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ok. But who you referring to as “confident?”

It was a rhetorical comment, but there are more posts on here about Chris L. with kind of a "he seems qualified" tone than there should be.

I mean where do you stand on CL possibly being the next GM?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It was a rhetorical comment, but there are more posts on here about Chris L. with kind of a "he seems qualified" tone than there should be.

I mean where do you stand on CL possibly being the next GM?
I don't really give it much thought.

Leading up to the conclusion of Tavares final Islander season, I strongly wanted Lou Lamoriello to replace Snow as PRESIDENT. I have always appreciated the professionalism and culture (even the eccentricities - shaving, media silence) that he has demanded of his organizations.

I did however, want a younger up-and-coming individual to be the actual GM held accountable to Lamoriello. Mark Hunter's name was also in the news, and Paul Fenton was highly sought after from Nashville. Hunter wasn't to be and Fenton went on to be an absolute disaster when he took over Minnesota.

I guess that's my way of saying, there really isn't any metric available for fans such as ourselves to judge front office individuals. Because so much happens behind the scenes. Earlier I tried to locate an article that I read about Snow crediting the help he received from L.Lamoriello as he was starting out as a GM. Instead I found this one that will make your blood boil...

Ex-NY Islanders GM Garth Snow shoulders blame for drafting Dal Colle, Ho-Sang

It goes on to clearly state that Snow selected Dal Colle against his scouts' wishes for drafting Ehlers. This is especially frustrating to me, because Ehlers was who I wanted that year.

But I bring it up as an example... Because how many times have posters called for eliminating the Islander's scouting department due to draft performance? But how does anyone know what their actual performance was, if the ranking of their picks were not even utilized?

Anyway, long tangent that isn't exactly pertaining to Chris Lamoriello... I think he absolutely has benefitted from his father to gain an opportunity that many others did not. How that will translate to his actual ability? No clue.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Garth Snow's hires...

• Ted Nolan
  • Scott Gordon
  • Jack Capuano
  • Doug Weight
  • Chris Lamoriello

Not one of the 1st four names got another chance at the same position with any other NHL snow hired them for.

And no one in the NHL decided to hire the "well respected" Chris Lamoriello for ANY position other than Snow and his father.

How anyone can be more confident than skeptical (at minimum) in Chris L doing a job no one else even considered him for in 30 years is beyond logic.

Think you just threw whatever bad names you wanted to on here though. Snow also brought in McPhee.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So your contention is that if you just spend a lot of time with someone that makes you qualified to do the job that their doing...?

If only Bill Torrey adopted Mike Milbury and Garth Snow they would've been amazing GMs.

Jesus.
Jesus is right?!?! You bashed Garth Snow because he had no experience, and now you are afraid of Chris L. because he has too much experience. You are one of the most polarizing people in these forums. Sometimes you say really smart things, and sometimes you say the dumbest things on the face of the earth.

YES, if Bill Torrey had taught Mike Milbury and Garth Snow they would have been better GMS....duh. YES, watching someone do their job and being in that atmosphere is exactly HOW YOU LEARN something. Are you really this obtuse? You tell me, an actual educator, how learning works since you seem to have it figured out, lol.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The day before training camp... maybe both him and Holmstrom will be included in a hockey trade of some sorts or more likely get extensions before training camp
Whally filed for arb but I wonder if Lou trades him beforehand to avoid a potential unexpected arb. result in Whally's favor . Yadaa Yadaa he doesnt really have a case for a raise but who the hell knows

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Think you just threw whatever bad names you wanted to on here though. Snow also brought in McPhee.
Doesn’t fit the narrative. He railed on McPhee as a terrible GM bc he made the Forsberg trade.

McPhee only went on to build Vegas into a top team and get a Cup.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not really and the two players that signed in Seattle went for the largest and longest deals they could get.

There’s nothing about Ron Francis as your GM that says you want to win this century.

Those players protected themselves by maxing out their value to whomever would give it to them.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Not really and the two players that signed in Seattle went for the largest and longest deals they could get.

There’s nothing about Ron Francis as your GM that says you want to win this century.

Those players protected themselves by maxing out their value to whomever would give it to them.
I'll give you the Stephenson deal but Montour just played 24 mins a game for a team that went to the cup 2 years straight. I'm sure he had a couple of offers to choose from.

Either way, poke holes all you want but a literal NHL GM is publicly saying it's an advantage. not sure what there's really left to say

Reactions: LeapOnOver and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'll give you the Stephenson deal but Montour just played 24 mins a game for a team that went to the cup 2 years straight. I'm sure he had a couple of offers to choose from.

Either way, poke holes all you want but a literal NHL GM is publicly saying it's an advantage. not sure what there's really left to say
So when all the tax advantaged teams run out of cap room or stink, what’s the next storyline?

I mean OEL went from FL to a 4 year deal in Toronto, not a tax advantaged team. His team didn’t have the cap space and by him signing for 4 years tells you he wanted term.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
So when all the tax advantaged teams run out of cap room or stink, what’s the next storyline?

I mean OEL went from FL to a 4 year deal in Toronto, not a tax advantaged team. His team didn’t have the cap space and by him signing for 4 years tells you he wanted term.
I mean it's not like he signed in Buffalo or something. I previously identified other situations where a team would have an advantage signing a player. Original 6 is one of them, as are chances to play on teams that are seen as cup contenders and the chance to play with superstars and legends. Toronto arguably offers all three of those and is an attractive destination for a free agent.

Some teams have more advantages than others (again, this is corroborated by NHL General Manager Barry Trotz). As far as I can tell, the Isles don't really offer any perks that any other middle of the road franchise can't. In addition you're guaranteed to play about 45 games in the second highest taxed state in the country. This lines up with the fact that we haven't made a big free agent signing since... I dunno, Andrew Ladd? Really don't understand why this is a concept that gets so much pushback around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapOnOver

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Whally filed for arb but I wonder if Lou trades him beforehand to avoid a potential unexpected arb. result in Whally's favor . Yadaa Yadaa he doesnt really have a case for a raise but who the hell knows
I think Lou trades him before arbitration....

I'd be happy with a 4th round pick atp tbh

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I mean it's not like he signed in Buffalo or something. I previously identified other situations where a team would have an advantage signing a player. Original 6 is one of them, as are chances to play on teams that are seen as cup contenders and the chance to play with superstars and legends. Toronto arguably offers all three of those and is an attractive destination for a free agent.

Some teams have more advantages than others (again, this is corroborated by NHL General Manager Barry Trotz). As far as I can tell, the Isles don't really offer any perks that any other middle of the road franchise can't. In addition you're guaranteed to play about 45 games in the second highest taxed state in the country. This lines up with the fact that we haven't made a big free agent signing since... I dunno, Andrew Ladd? Really don't understand why this is a concept that gets so much pushback around here.
Why do the Rangers have no problem signing big free agents? Same tax as Islanders, actually even higher (NYC tax).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why do the Rangers have no problem signing big free agents? Same tax as Islanders, actually even higher (NYC tax).
Original 6 team that gets to play in many showcase games. They've been in the league's upper echelon for several years. The last time they finished under 100 points in an 82 game regular season was 2019. These things make them very attractive to UFAs.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Because it’s a premier franchise. It just didn’t have the cap space year over year during the ‘tax advantaged’ argument.

Chicago, like any bottom feeder, will struggle to attract talent as a premier franchise until it turns the corner.

Boston had money, went younger in Ljndholm.

Trotz is just marketing. Simple as that. Players have wanted to play in Nashville, that hasn’t been there problem. Their issue is they sign the wrong guys to play there.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Proponents of the flat earth state tax theory are going to have to explain why this supposedly affects the NHL, but doesn’t affect other leagues.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Like most arguments on here… this doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Do franchises and players benefit from income tax arrangements. Yes, yes they absolutely do.

Is that a death knell to building a quality team, in a tax disadvantaged state? No, not necessarily.

Ultimately, most players want the same things and then there is a margin of individual preference and acceptance based on personal values.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So your contention is that if you just spend a lot of time with someone that makes you qualified to do the job that their doing...?

If only Bill Torrey adopted Mike Milbury and Garth Snow they would've been amazing GMs.

Jesus.
Your random mention of Jesus at the end of a post criticizing nepotism:

A. doesn't help your case; and
B. is possibly the funniest unintentional joke I've ever seen on the internets. :laugh:

And FWIW, I've seen a ton of evidence of people who benefitted greatly by going into the same career as their parent. Like, some kid who grew up sitting at the dinner table hearing their parent the lawyer talk about work every day for years and years is, if they decide to become a lawyer, at a big advantage over a kid who did not have that experience growing up. Kinda makes sense, no?

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad