Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And used an old past-his prime guy like Rick Dudley behind the scenes… Zito wasn’t just the younger, faster, smarter, creative, people want to push as agenda.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
In theory this should be a viable strategy. Problem is that as the Isles get to the trade deadline... hovering around a playoff spot likely means that Lamoriello will not commit to moving the expiring contracts. Instead, he likely keeps said players and would mental math it as acquiring roster "improvements" at the expense of acquiring future assets.

The "Do Nothing Rebuild?" Is that like the "Know Nothing Party" of the 1850s?
That is exactly what will happen. Problem is ,you can’t move anyone if you still believe this team is a Stanley Cup contender which I’m not. The right play is to move on , similar to what Philly and a few clubs did. Take 1 step back to take 3 steps forward

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
If Ehlers is not coming back, can’t see why he wasn’t moved at draft.
Maybe he has been acquired , Lou just didn’t want to disrupt the wedding day. Just a thought

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I certainly believe you didn’t have them contending last year. They sold knowing it was the right direction for their future

Philadelphia was playing above their abilities the majority of the season and the wheels slowly came off, and everyone knew it was going to. Add to that, the organization still had/has some locker room issues that came up during the season. The Islanders have no such organization or locker room distractions like that, as far as we know, and they were playing below their abilities for a large chunk of the season (that isn't to say that they should've been a powerhouse but they had more talent than they were showing).

I've mentioned this before but Philadelphia didn't actually sell at the deadline like some keep posting.

They traded out Walker but they paid to pick up Erik Johnson. The Flyers also re-signed Seeler, a 31 year old defenseman who was having a good year, to a four year deal just before the deadline. They could've sold significantly more and chose not to.

I'm on board with taking a step back to move forward but Philadelphia is just a bad comparable for the Islanders.

Reactions: MJF

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
I think Skinner would be the best fit, if we’re looking for somebody to play with Horvat and Barzal.

I think somebody will pay Duclair really well and he won’t be in our price range
Ditto, I think Skinner is the best player out of the 3, Duclair I mainly suggested due to his Roy connection but I also have always liked him

Ick across the board
I tried being as realistic as possible we have no cap space assuming Pageau stays

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I certainly believe you didn’t have them contending last year. They sold knowing it was the right direction for their future
If they don’t get their Carter Hart problem solved they won’t compete as they are now.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree with getting younger and skilled. I’m going off the premise it’s not a long term or expensive deal.

I think he'll cost a pretty decent penny. He'll either take a discount to go to a premier cup contender or he'll get overpaid to play on a team like Ottawa or Buffalo to get them into the playoffs.

Reactions: SI90

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
At this point with a few players being bought out, RFA nontenders and a handful of middle six UFAs available at a reasonable price, guys like Palmieri and Pageau have no market value at their current AAV.

If Lou were to have moved them, that time has passed. It may never come again unless we are clearly out of the race before the TDL. That also assumes that aging players like them do not get injured or have their productivity decline significantly.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
A guy like Arvidsson would be a decent addition, I guess. It seems like the same core of players will be brought back again, and for another offseason, the fanbase's coping mechanism is to hope that multiple guys "bounce back". Maybe they'll get lucky, and a guy like Iskhakov or Holmstrom take a huge leap forward, which would change things. Feels like it's shaping up to be another 7th-12th place finish in the East.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
A guy like Arvidsson would be a decent addition, I guess. It seems like the same core of players will be brought back again, and for another offseason, the fanbase's coping mechanism is to hope that multiple guys "bounce back". Maybe they'll get lucky, and a guy like Iskhakov or Holmstrom take a huge leap forward, which would change things. Feels like it's shaping up to be another 7th-12th place finish in the East.

I'd be up for him, Skinner, or Laine if they could be had. My thing is that nobody should be signed long term, these guys are placeholder moves.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Didn’t realize Victor Olofsson was a UFA. Hes got a wicked one timer. Could be had for cheap.

Also I noticed Beauviller is a UFA lol. Watch out.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
At this point with a few players being bought out, RFA nontenders and a handful of middle six UFAs available at a reasonable price, guys like Palmieri and Pageau have no market value at their current AAV.

If Lou were to have moved them, that time has passed. It may never come again unless we are clearly out of the race before the TDL. That also assumes that aging players like them do not get injured or have their productivity decline significantly.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Agreed - Pageau and others are staying.

It appears as if LL is looking to grab a bargain deal because the market is grown with RFAs that have not been tendered and buyouts.

I agree with most here that Skinner or Arvidsson would be strong additions - I hope they both come in under 4.

Not counting Wahlstrom’s QO - Isles have

4.775 to add a 6th D man and a Top 6- 22 man roster

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Sure they do. It's easier to strike a trade and get something than it is to throw your hat in on a ufa and potentially get nothing. Those players also have limited time left on their deals and they can theoretically negotiate retention.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
apparently Pinto is expecting to be offer sheeted…

Agreed - Pageau and others are staying.

It appears as if LL is looking to grab a bargain deal because the market is grown with RFAs that have not been tendered and buyouts.

I agree with most here that Skinner or Arvidsson would be strong additions - I hope they both come in under 4.

Not counting Wahlstrom’s QO - Isles have

4.775 to add a 6th D man and a Top 6- 22 man roster
I don’t think that figure includes tsyplakov

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
apparently Pinto is expecting to be offer sheeted…

I don’t think that figure includes tsyplakov
Where are you hearing that? Not shocking, actually. CAR comes to mind immediately since they've done it before and they have cap space. Wouldn't mind if it was us either. I wonder if it could be a "friendly" offer sheet - ie., he and OTT can't agree on a deal so an offer sheet is made to facilitate a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad