Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Did anyone hear someone (Weekes?) say during the draft tonight that MIN won't have a lot of cap space but is looking for some inexpensive identity players for their bottom 6 forwards? Cal's going home, right?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wonder what the price for McGoarty is right now?

What Is the price for Ehlers? Is it a 2nd and an NHL player like Holmstrom?

Do Isles ship out JGP and use that $ to sign Reilly and a UFA? But who? Arvidsson? Toffoli?

Or do they keep everyone - make the picks and go with cheap veteran F to fill out the F and try to catch lightning in a bottle.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
I wonder what the price for McGoarty is right now?

What Is the price for Ehlers? Is it a 2nd and an NHL player like Holmstrom?

Do Isles ship out JGP and use that $ to sign Reilly and a UFA? But who? Arvidsson? Toffoli?

Or do they keep everyone - make the picks and go with cheap veteran F to fill out the F and try to catch lightning in a bottle.
Trade Pageau + Wally + Van 2nd
Sign Duclair or Arvidsson
Keep Mike Rielly

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It makes little sense to trade back for the extra 2nd rounder and absolutely no sense if you are Lou unless you are using it to offload a salary.

I'd be shocked if that didn't happen today and we made those two selections in the 2nd round

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Not sure what Lou will do (certainly not what he should do by seeing what he could get for Nelson and Palmieri), but I am concerned as always when it comes to him.

I have this awful feeling he will overpay for Reilly, who although played well for us since coming over; I dont think you just set aside the fact we were his 5th team in five years. If he gets more than 3 years for anything over 2 million, it is another typical Lou overpay...

Assuming he can do the following:

1) Trade JGP with one of those 2nds without any retention
2) Qualify Holmstrom (875-900K)
3) Sign Reilly for AAV of 1.5 million for no more than 3 years

Then "expect" to do these two small moves:

4) Trade Wahlstrom for a similar type underperformer making less than 1 million (RFA) and of course sign him
5) Sign a 7th defenseman to battle Bolduc for that spot

Our cap would look like this:

1. F Mathew Barzal 9.15 million
  2. F Bo Horvat 8.5
  3. G Ilya Sorokin 8.25
  4. F Anders Lee 7.0
  5. D Ryan Pulock 6.15
  6. F Brock Nelson 6.0
  7. D Adam Pelech 5.75
  8. F Kyle Palmieri 5.0
  9. D Noah Dobson 4.0
  10. D Scott Mayfield 3.5
  11. F Pierre Engvall 3.0
  12. G Semyon Varlamov 2.75
  13. F Casey Cizikas 2.5
  14. D Alexander Romanov 2.5
  15. D Mike Reilly 1.5
  16. F Simon Holmstrom .875
  17. F Kyle MacLean .775
  18. F Tsyplakov/(TBD- trading Wahlstrom for) .950
  19. F Fasching/(TBD- perhaps another veteran for minimum) .775
  20. D Bolduc/(TBD- signing veteran for around minimum) .800
Cap: $79.725 M Cap Space: $8.275 M

He "should" be able to add a couple of forwards with that cap space, but I doubt they will be real difference makers. I wish I could say he was capable to be a little more creative than that, but I don't think he will be....

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not sure what Lou will do (certainly not what he should do by seeing what he could get for Nelson and Palmieri), but I am concerned as always when it comes to him.

I have this awful feeling he will overpay for Reilly, who although played well for us since coming over; I dont think you just set aside the fact we were his 5th team in five years. If he gets more than 3 years for anything over 2 million, it is another typical Lou overpay...

There is no correlation between someone moving around a lot and their effectiveness as a role player brought in to serve that function. Florida just won a Cup with a few of those picked up this year.

Would you have paid $2,100,000 for Ekman-Larsson last summer? He's still a heck of a player, as he showed during the finals. Kulikov has moved more than Reilly. That pairing made a huge difference to Florida.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
There is no correlation between someone moving around a lot and their effectiveness as a role player brought in to serve that function. Florida just won a Cup with a few of those picked up this year.

Would you have paid $2,100,000 for Ekman-Larsson last summer? He's still a heck of a player, as he showed during the finals. Kulikov has moved more than Reilly. That pairing made a huge difference to Florida.
That is just it- he hasn't been that effective. He barely played in Florida before coming over here, played in a mere 10 games in 2022-23 with the Bruins after a so-so campaign the year before (17 points in 70 games despite getting close to 19 minutes of ice time per) and really only had one good season prior to that in his career, the rest being very underwhelming.

Again, I am not giving him more than 2 million and if he is wanting a multi-year deal, I am bargaining for less than that....

I just as soon have Gustafsson, who has 13 goals and 60 assists the last two seasons.

Ironically enough, on Hockey Trade Rumors they have this:

40. Erik Gustafsson / New York Islanders / 1 year, $1.5MM AAV

Reilly didn't even make the Top50

NTM both the guys you just mentioned have MUCH better track records (production wise) than Reilly. It isn't even remotely close

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
It makes little sense to trade back for the extra 2nd rounder and absolutely no sense if you are Lou unless you are using it to offload a salary.

I'd be shocked if that didn't happen today and we made those two selections in the 2nd round
I think they will use it to offload salary. That said, if they keep both, that's an extra player to replenish their bare prospect pool.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Assuming he can do the following:

1) Trade JGP with one of those 2nds without any retention
2) Qualify Holmstrom (875-900K)
3) Sign Reilly for AAV of 1.5 million for no more than 3 years

Then "expect" to do these two small moves:

4) Trade Wahlstrom for a similar type underperformer making less than 1 million (RFA) and of course sign him
5) Sign a 7th defenseman to battle Bolduc for that spot

Our cap would look like this:

1. F Mathew Barzal 9.15 million
  2. F Bo Horvat 8.5
  3. G Ilya Sorokin 8.25
  4. F Anders Lee 7.0
  5. D Ryan Pulock 6.15
  6. F Brock Nelson 6.0
  7. D Adam Pelech 5.75
  8. F Kyle Palmieri 5.0
  9. D Noah Dobson 4.0
  10. D Scott Mayfield 3.5
  11. F Pierre Engvall 3.0
  12. G Semyon Varlamov 2.75
  13. F Casey Cizikas 2.5
  14. D Alexander Romanov 2.5
  15. D Mike Reilly 1.5
  16. F Simon Holmstrom .875
  17. F Kyle MacLean .775
  18. F Tsyplakov/(TBD- trading Wahlstrom for) .950
  19. F Fasching/(TBD- perhaps another veteran for minimum) .775
  20. D Bolduc/(TBD- signing veteran for around minimum) .800
Cap: $79.725 M Cap Space: $8.275 M

He "should" be able to add a couple of forwards with that cap space, but I doubt they will be real difference makers. I wish I could say he was capable to be a little more creative than that, but I don't think he will be....
I don't think Lou has the nerve any longer to trade one of the guys who is in Venice with the rest of the team (plus Beauvillier and Bailey) at Pulock's wedding. 90% of the team is there. The Lou from the NJ Devils would trade his mother. This Lou got sentimental and fell in love with his players.

That being said there is an argument to be made in favor of trading down for extra picks and restocking the prospect pool. I think we make all our picks this year.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
That is just it- he hasn't been that effective. He barely played in Florida before coming over here, played in a mere 10 games in 2022-23 with the Bruins after a so-so campaign the year before (17 points in 70 games despite getting close to 19 minutes of ice time per) and really only had one good season prior to that in his career, the rest being very underwhelming.

Again, I am not giving him more than 2 million and if he is wanting a multi-year deal, I am bargaining for less than that....

I just as soon have Gustafsson, who has 13 goals and 60 assists the last two seasons.

Ironically enough, on Hockey Trade Rumors they have this:

40. Erik Gustafsson / New York Islanders / 1 year, $1.5MM AAV

OEL never played on Boston. He's had a lot of big years.

If you think OEL at $2,100,000 isn't better money spent than Gus at $1,500,000, you didn't watch the playoffs too carefully

During the playoffs, Zito was asked about OEL's signing, he responded that when he asked around he was told that OEL had five good years left in him, when he asked if he had one year left.

Go look at who he had to play for over the years, it's like a career of what Leddy experienced that one year when we had all the injuries, having to carry marginal NHL talent.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

I think they will use it to offload salary. That said, if they keep both, that's an extra player to replenish their bare prospect pool.
ya, but then you are dipping into the 2025 pool (a much better draft by most accounts) or looking for a "hockey trade" ONLY to do anything meaningful to this roster.....or having to use some retention to offload anyone

Reactions: beach

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
OEL never played on Boston. He's had a lot of big years.

If you think OEL at $2,100,000 isn't better money spent than Gus at $1,500,000, you didn't watch the playoffs too carefully

During the playoffs, Zito was asked about OEL's signing, he responded that when he asked around he was told that OEL had five good years left in him, when he asked if he had one year left.

Go look at who he had to play for over the years, it's like a career of what Leddy experienced that one year when we had all the injuries, having to carry marginal NHL talent.
I said Reilly with Boston. You are making claims I didnt even say.

I think you need to read slower, I wasnt even talking about OEL and yes, both the guys you mentioned are worth 2 million+ contract wise. Reilly simply isn't.

They have MUCH BETTER track records than Reilly- as does Gustaffson.

Reactions: MJF

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Fully expect Uncle Lou to use all remaining picks today (farm could use a stocking up tbh) BUT we need cap space. So I guess we'll run it back next year. He'll re-sign Reilly for some ridiculous term and claim its to keep cap hit down. He'll sign a bottom 6 vet like Kubalick for a million bucks and claim Roy has a full summer/training camp to get the team up to speed blah blah blah.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I don't think Lou has the nerve any longer to trade one of the guys who is in Venice with the rest of the team (plus Beauvillier and Bailey) at Pulock's wedding. 90% of the team is there. The Lou from the NJ Devils would trade his mother. This Lou got sentimental and fell in love with his players.

That being said there is an argument to be made in favor of trading down for extra picks and restocking the prospect pool. I think we make all our picks this year.
You could be right, but it would be a complete 360 on how he operates.

He can do very little to upgrade this team without moving someone out, especially if he overpays for Reilly

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You could be right, but it would be a complete 360 on how he operates.

He can do very little to upgrade this team without moving someone out, especially if he overpays for Reilly
I just don't think he has the heart to do it today while the entire team is together.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I said Reilly with Boston. You are making claims I didnt even say.

I think you need to read slower, I wasnt even talking about OEL and yes, both the guys you mentioned are worth 2 million+ contract wise. Reilly simply isn't.

They have MUCH BETTER track records than Reilly- as does Gustaffson.

My fault
But you could have said it was Reilly in the post too

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

Without a doubt that is the most troubling and depressing thing about how he works, often leading to overpays and the using of our assets to unload said players he has signed or his reluctance to move one of them when it is the perfect time to do so.

Few established GM's in the league operate this way, and it is why I fully believe we will be better off when he is gone

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2