Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
How significant is it to a franchise to have a career player (Ovechkin) break the all-time goal scoring record in comparison to rebuilding for a better shot at a cup in the future?

My first and instinctual thought is rebuild and try to win a cup. But when you consider that they already won a cup recently and there is only one all-time goal scoring champ... 3-4 more years of mediocrity may actually be worthwhile in that particular circumstance.

Personally, I'm undecided.
Keeps butts in seats, rebuilds don’t.

Barzal for Ehlers, Mcgroarty, Jets 2025 1st. @Throttle am I speaking your language???

Nope, Ehlers is doubling down on the problem.

Love Barzal for Tkachuk. Move Pageau. Work a deal with Calgary on Kadri. Keep Wally and hope he gets it.

More well rounded and balanced up front.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
While there's no question the Isles are desperate to get younger...If you can trade the 1st for someone under 23 he's going to have some warts on him (unless you add more to the deal). A 23 year old worth anything is thus already playing in the NHL and is hopefully near his potential already. No reason a team would trade for the 20th pick where they now receive a player who's 5 years younger, is a bigger risk, and going to need development unless they were supremely confident that 18 year old was going to net out at least as valuable as the player they were giving up.
Obviously we'd have to add
1st
3rd
Bolduc/Wally

Is the package I'd want regardless my top 2 choices are Rutger or Maccelli

Now I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt Lou lands Stamkos but could you imagine...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Why is Kadri a "Lou guy?" Other than there being rumors he signed here because of how silent it was (and it turns out it wasn't the case), I don't see how Kadri is a Lou guy at all.
Kadri played for and signed with Lou in Toronto. His loyalty to current and former players is often brought up.

Just answering the question, I don’t have an interest in the Isles exploring that contract.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
There is always a chance they keep the picks and restock and then LL tries to buy an under-the-radar UFA, like Arvidsson for under 4m and then bring back Beauvillier for cheap. It improves the roster, but maybe not by the fan base's expectations.
Sigh… that is so boring! Looks like binge watching The Crown with the Missus is in the cards for next season!

:sarcasm:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
We add those two picks for sure if Lou doesn’t have the pick wrapped up in another deal. Moving from 18 to 26 for 2 seconds and a fifth would have been great for us, especially given the sweeteners we may require to move out contracts (look at Walman trade).
Word coming out is that Yzerman may have wildly misjudged the market for Walman and didn't reach out to GMs who were interested in trading for him WITHOUT a sweetener.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Kadri played for and signed with Lou in Toronto. His loyalty to current and former players is often brought up.

Just answering the question, I don’t have an interest in the Isles exploring that contract.
Lou also stood by Kadri during his tumultuous Toronto days. Dubas dumped him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

We don't want Kadri, but he was drafted in 2019 and Lou didn't arrive with the Leafs until 2015. And of course as we know Lou resigns anyone and everyone once they are part of an organization. I just don't think Lou would've gone out and acquired Kadri.

Now of course watch him do that this offseason not because he wants him, but because he's one of the few scorers actually on the market.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Ugh. Kadri at 7 million per for his age 34-38 seasons...

I am living in a nightmare with these suggestions....
Cal retains 20-30% and they take back Pageau, I’d do that all day long. Kadri is a now move. The Isles are playing for now. He gives you a strong top 6 playing with jam. He’s a darn good player.

In his later years, Lee and Palms are already gone. He’ll be the one oldie hanging around.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Cal retains 20-30% and they take back Pageau, I’d do that all day long. Kadri is a now move. The Isles are playing for now. He gives you a strong top 6 playing with jam. He’s a darn good player.

In his later years, Lee and Palms are already gone. He’ll be the one oldie hanging around.
I’m all for that move. Would weirdly give us 4 lefty centers but insane depth down the middle. Gotta think it costs the first if they’re taking Pageau AND retaining for 5 seasons though.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Any interest in Cam Atkinson on a cheap one year deal after his buyout? Grew up in CT. Dunno if he still has local roots. We’re weak at the RW position so it may be worth a flyer (pun intended).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’m all for that move. Would weirdly give us 4 lefty centers but insane depth down the middle. Gotta think it costs the first if they’re taking Pageau AND retaining for 5 seasons though.
I wouldn’t give CAL a high pick. Pageau offsets the salary. CAL is just trying to get out from under that contract.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Don't (yet) fall for the prank... (Ehlers supposedly moved to Washington)

Attachments

• 1719613113131.png
    1719613113131.png
    927.4 KB · Views: 1

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

Kadri at 5-5.5 is a lot different, especially if they are taking on JGP and no assets coming back.

Yes, I would swallow that deal and those likely last 2 years at that price....

Doubt the Flames go for that though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad