Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can’t help but have a thought in the back of my mind that the silence around Marner is because Lou is involved. I’m saying that a bit tongue in cheek, but it is odd how Marner should seemingly be the storyline of the offseason yet we’ve heard next to nothing other than minor/unsubstantiated rumors, and I just can’t imagine Toronto keeping him at this point. It feels a bit similar to Horvat in that there were rumors of him being moved for weeks or even months but there was no actual rumors or news, and then out of nowhere Lou makes a move for him.
Paul Bissonnette saying that Toronto is aggressively working on extending him is enough for me to believe that's why there's no news. And before you say it's only a rumor, everything is a rumor until it happens, lol. I don't count him as a minor/unsubstantiated rumor.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A major trade with the Jets could check some boxes -
2024 1st (20th OA)
Holmstrom
2025 2nd
Wahlstrom
for
Ehlers
McGoarty
Heinola

Take one of the 2024 2nds and send it with 50% Ehlers cap hit to Montreal

Forwards
  • McGoarty - Horvat - Barzal
  • Ehlers - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Lee - JGP - Engvall
  • Maclean - Cizikas - Tsyplakov/Fasching
Defence
  • Romanov - Dobson
  • Pelech - Pulock
  • Bolduc/Heinola - Mayfield
Goaltending
  • Sorokin
  • Varlamov
800k in cap space to sign a 14th F - Beauvillier? Or sign 2 cheap vets and have McGoarty start in BPT
Draft - Pulkkinen with one of this year's 2nd round pick

Top 10 prospects - Bridgeport
  1. McGoarty, LW - Bridgeport
  2. Maggio, RW - Bridgeport
  3. Iskahakov, LW - Bridgeport
  4. Dufour, RW- Bridgeport
  5. Jeffries, LW/RW - Bridgeport
  6. George, LHD - Bridgeport
  7. Thiesing, C - Bridgeport
  8. Gill, C - Bridgeport
  9. Nurmi, LW - Bridgeport
Top Prospects from Europe, NCAA, & Jrs.
  1. Odelius, LHD - Europe
  2. Nelson, C - NCAA
  3. Finley, LW - NCAA
  4. Berg, C - NCAA
  5. Pulkkinen, LHD, Europe

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
When you have a top-10 player of all time on your roster then you should be going for it every year or you should trade him and start a rebuild.

Now why the Isles are still going all in with an aging roster who can barely make the playoffs and Trotz long gone is the nonsensical part.
The reason I bring up the Capitals and Ovechkin specifically, is because if there ever was a situation to prioritize over a Stanley Cup… this may be the only one compelling enough to consider.

This wasn’t about the Islanders.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
2024 1st (20th OA)
Holmstrom
2025 2nd
Wahlstrom
for
Ehlers
McGoarty
Heinola

Forwards
  • Lee - JGP - Engvall
Defence
  • Romanov - Dobson
  • Pelech - Pulock
Goaltending
  • Sorokin
  • Varlamov
800k in cap space to sign a 14th F - Beauvillier? Or sign 2 cheap vets and have McGoarty start in BPT

8. Gill, C - Bridgeport
  1. Odelius, LHD - Europe
  2. Nelson, C - NCAA
  3. Finley, LW - NCAA
  4. Berg, C - NCAA
That doesn't get us Ehlers AND McGroarty

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That doesn't get us Ehlers AND McGroarty
If it requires the 2025 1st instead of the second I proposed then I think LL has to do it.

If TWO 1sts are required, then I wonder if Isles could keep Holmstrom out of the deal and replace him with Iskahakov.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t help but have a thought in the back of my mind that the silence around Marner is because Lou is involved. I’m saying that a bit tongue in cheek, but it is odd how Marner should seemingly be the storyline of the offseason yet we’ve heard next to nothing other than minor/unsubstantiated rumors, and I just can’t imagine Toronto keeping him at this point. It feels a bit similar to Horvat in that there were rumors of him being moved for weeks or even months but there was no actual rumors or news, and then out of nowhere Lou makes a move for him.
He's been linked to Vegas and Utah weirdly enough. I don't think Lou likes Marner, as much as Roy might

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Team that can’t score in the playoffs should acquire a player that well, doesn’t score in the playoffs. Brilliant move.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
When you have a top-10 player of all time on your roster then you should be going for it every year or you should trade him and start a rebuild.
To trade him at this point in his career, considering all he's done for that franchise, would just be craven. They owe him to be competitive for his last couple years and to let him retire a Capital, even if they "aren't winning the cup."

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
If it requires the 2025 1st instead of the second I proposed then I think LL has to do it.

If TWO 1sts are required, then I wonder if Isles could keep Holmstrom out of the deal and replace him with Iskahakov.
I think Rutger is the player we should target. I'd prefer Lou trading the 1st for a U23 winger than drafting someone like Connelly who will take 2 years to crack the team AND may be a bust...

Maccelli is the player we should target. While I think Holmstrom will truly break out next year I'd be fine trading him + 1st for Maccelli or Rutger

Ehlers is tough to evaluate. While the Jets will probably want Pulock with his marriage recently happening that isn’t gonna to happen. 1st + Holmstrom + Bolduc + 2nd is the most I'd be fine giving up

We know that pick is getting moved - let's hope it moves the needle.
AND it is for someone U23. Moving the first for a top 6 foward U23 is the ideal scenario

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
2024 1st (20th OA)
Holmstrom
2025 2nd
Wahlstrom
for
Ehlers
McGoarty
Heinola

Forwards
  • Lee - JGP - Engvall
Defence
  • Romanov - Dobson
  • Pelech - Pulock
Goaltending
  • Sorokin
  • Varlamov

8. Gill, C - Bridgeport
  1. Odelius, LHD - Europe
  2. Nelson, C - NCAA
  3. Finley, LW - NCAA
  4. Berg, C - NCAA
Chevy doesnt even pick up the phone with that offer .

Isles could be in on Ehlers but Winnipeg needs to take back Pageau or Lou needs to move him elsewhere beforehand

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Lou was there when Marner was coming into the TOR organization.

Everyone knows Martin was Marner's mentor and protector when he came in. I believe we've seen that they still visit each other in the offseasons.

Dunno what it all could mean, but Marner and the NYI are not entirely unconnected.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Someone has been reading these boards...

1719572624876.png

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
AND it is for someone U23. Moving the first for a top 6 foward U23 is the ideal scenario

While there's no question the Isles are desperate to get younger...If you can trade the 1st for someone under 23 he's going to have some warts on him (unless you add more to the deal). A 23 year old worth anything is thus already playing in the NHL and is hopefully near his potential already. No reason a team would trade for the 20th pick where they now receive a player who's 5 years younger, is a bigger risk, and going to need development unless they were supremely confident that 18 year old was going to net out at least as valuable as the player they were giving up.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Someone has been reading these boards...

View attachment 888448
Logically it is the best course of action simply because we wouldn't have to attach assets to move him or Palmieri and get cap space in the process.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to move him AND PAGEAU; so our 3rd line center would stay and you would "likely" focus on wings instead.

But let me ask fans here this question:

What do you think you could get in return for Brock Nelson (37G per 82 last three seasons) and Kyle Palmieri, who is coming off 30 goals of his own??

I think you "could" get a minimum of three high picks (1st/2nd round) or young high end prospects and of course you would gain $11 million in cap space.

You would still have Horvat, Barzal, Pageau and Cizikas down the middle- so your center depth would still be ok, especially with us locking up MacLean as well and you would still have Lee, Engvall and Holmstrom as your wing guys somewhere.

Yes, one of them is probably remaining in your top 6 (likely Lee) but man would you have some assets now to get your wings.

Just hypothetically, you could tender Simon and trade Wahlstrom for a similar young underperformer- a "change of scenery" type player making less than a million. I chose Kaliyev- and he like Holmstrom doesnt have arbitration rights and gets the QO, perhaps a little more but definitely under a million. Lastly, say you get your third line LD for a cool 1.5 million, likely Reilly but whomever and then also a minimum guy to push Bolduc out as your #7.

That (in all likelihood) would have you at around $73-74 million with 19 players and $14-15 million in cap space still.

Your forwards would be Barzal, Horvat, Lee, JGP, Engvall, Cizikas, Holmstrom and MacLean for sure holding 8 spots with (in this example) Kaliyev, Tsyplakov, Fasching and a likely third* option (more about that below) battling for 2 more spots for a total of 10.

Your defense doesn't get an upgrade (yet) but returns Dobson, Pelech, Pulock, Romanov, Mayfield, Reilly and a minimum guy for a total of 7 and of course your 2 goalies in Sorokin and Varlamov.

Now you are sitting there with 14 million and assets galore. Likely MINIMUM two first round picks and three second round picks at your disposal. You very well could have gotten a young prospect looking to become an NHL regular with the Brock/Kyle trades as well*.

Yes, you will still need 3 wings and they need to be top 6 guys, but my God do you have options galore. Endless options for 2024 and your prospect pool (and future) just improved by leaps and bounds in the process. And ya, you probably can replace those 67 goals lost fairly easily...

See now why trading those two is the way to go?

Unfortunately, Lou simply cant think this far ahead and is depressingly loyal to a fault

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Lou was there when Marner was coming into the TOR organization.

Everyone knows Martin was Marner's mentor and protector when he came in. I believe we've seen that they still visit each other in the offseasons.

Dunno what it all could mean, but Marner and the NYI are not entirely unconnected.

Don’t know how it would work cap wise, but my God I would love to add Marner. He’s a game breaking talent. Get him out of Toronto and sign him long term.

Reactions: Potvottier and SI

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Well, here we are again. This is the night when we put out cookies and milk and when we wake up, we find a lump of coal in our stocking.
I mean, worst case (depending on who you ask) they keep the pick and add a player who likely instantly becomes our top prospect. Whether the pick is kept or moved for a top 6 F we’re gonna address an organizational need tonight.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I mean, worst case (depending on who you ask) they keep the pick and add a player who likely instantly becomes our top prospect. Whether the pick is kept or moved for a top 6 F we’re gonna address an organizational need tonight.
Hopefully. But if we do keep the pick, let's see who Lou picks. There are several guys that I don't think are what we need/will pan out.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Hopefully. But if we do keep the pick, let's see who Lou picks. There are several guys that I don't think are what we need/will pan out.

It’s impossible to say who will or won’t pan out. Just because you like or dislike a pick doesn’t change that.

My guess is going to be #20 to Winnipeg for Ehlers straight up and than Lou uses a 2nd to move JGP.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
It’s impossible to say who will or won’t pan out. Just because you like or dislike a pick doesn’t change that.

My guess is going to be #20 to Winnipeg for Ehlers straight up and than Lou uses a 2nd to move JGP.
Thanks Captain Obvious.

Ehlers will cost more than just our 1st rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad