GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - June 20 vs Argentina

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Meh automatic L

Surprised they kept it within 4
They only did because its not unlike Argentina to squander scoring chances. Messi is the story almost every game with Argentina and also that most of his comppatriots can't finish shit, and on this day Messi couldn't either. Canadian defending was shambolic. Should've been 5 Argentina goals today.

Canada played decently in first half but Argentina still getting what they liked.

Shows inexperience too that Canada fell for the classic stall tactic in 2nd half. Was silly for Canada to rush out only for Argentina to take 10mins to get on pitch. Made Canada nervous in 2nd half and that was starting in the tunnel. Sure enough Canada concedes within minutes of 2nd half start.

Not impressed with Canadian finish either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Pretty well , I still can't get over that take down in the box, they pretend to review it, and nada, don't think they're blind!
Wasn’t in the box BUT! That was a foul and an absolute farce by the ref to not call it. Not shocked that a South American ref was on the side of Argentina the whole match. Brutal reffing.

On the actual game, we played pretty well. Held our form, not finishing is killing us. David at some point has to start scoring on these chances. Going for a goal obviously left our back line wide open for chances late in the match

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thought Canada played a really solid first half against the world #1 ranked team led by an all-time elite player. Goaltender was aggressive and solid. Quality chances which they couldn't convert - a recurring theme at this new apex level of competition. Their structure unraveled in the second half. But again this is the world's number one they were playing.

Now have to build on this.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
They only did because its not unlike Argentina to squander scoring chances. Messi is the story almost every game with Argentina and also that most of his comppatriots can't finish shit, and on this day Messi couldn't either. Canadian defending was shambolic. Should've been 5 Argentina goals today.

Canada played decently in first half but Argentina still getting what they liked.

Shows inexperience too that Canada fell for the classic stall tactic in 2nd half. Was silly for Canada to rush out only for Argentina to take 10mins to get on pitch. Made Canada nervous in 2nd half and that was starting in the tunnel. Sure enough Canada concedes within minutes of 2nd half start.

Not impressed with Canadian finish either.
I follow soccer a bit. Does argentinia hang out in dressing room a lot?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada beat Peru today and have a chance to advance with a result vs Chile in the final match day.

Crepeau was once again TERRIFIC. In terms of reflexes and shot blocking he’s probably good enough to play for a Top 5 league team.

Also he helped out an official who collapsed due to the heat:

Pretty impressive how fast he got there. Should probably just put a Superman emblem on the front of his jersey.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Canada beat Peru today and have a chance to advance with a result vs Chile in the final match day.

Crepeau was once again TERRIFIC. In terms of reflexes and shot blocking he’s probably good enough to play for a Top 5 league team.

Also he helped out an official who collapsed due to the heat:

Pretty impressive how fast he got there. Should probably just put a Superman emblem on the front of his jersey.

The Argentina win was a good result for Canada too (though too bad they didn’t score more than one for GD but Canada has to take care of their own too)

Argentina win vs Peru and a Canada draw vs Chile would mean they advance.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bombito intentionally elbowed a guy in the face and miraculously got away with it. Should have been a red card. Canada could have been in the same position the Americans got themselves into against Panama the other night. Then 2 minutes later the same meathead gets yellow carded for another hard foul.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Canada advance to the knockout round!

And I think they have a chance to win that game too.
I’m not so sure. They’ve scored 1 goal in 3 games in this tournament and in those last two games they played most of them up a man. I think they’re going to need to be a lot better than they’ve been.

Reactions: McDrai

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Looks like I was. That was definitely not a Leafs like finish to that game by England.

Don’t worry, they’ll manage to fiddle it up before they win. Even being a couple of minutes from being eliminated by Slovakia (one of the worst teams to advance from the group stage) was embarrassing

To be fair, Southgate is horrible and holding them back. On the other hand, they’ve had ridiculous luck with their path in the knockouts for 4 tournaments now

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I didn’t see a Euro thread so I guess I’ll ask the more knowledgeable football fans here. Am I wrong to think the English national team are the Toronto Maple Leafs of the football world?
I say no. The English football fans (outside of a few idiots) are generally good natured and self-deprecating. They know they're the birthplace of football, the home of it's greatest leauge and best clubs, but that their national team just can't put it together.

One of their greats from yesteryear, Gary Lineker summed it up like this:

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win"

No Leaf fan could ever be so gracious, clever, and humourous in the midst of such generational ineptitude.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2