Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Risky, but necessary.

Locking up a young player long-term early could setback the team. Yet, if he develops this would be a steal of a contract. HABs are still a very young team and just completed an incredible draft with more youth being added. Even if the team continues to struggle for the next few years, he'll only get better. Later half of the contract (if develops) might be a huge bargain.

Mar 12, 2009
And where are they in playoff scoring every year lol, keep shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic.
You'd have too much free time without them.

I see 60% of posts are positive, 10% are negative from other teams, 30% are complaining about the 10% (and most of them do the same thing they are complaining about in rival team threads all the time).

As for me, Why wouldn't Montreal do this? It's a risk but it won't hurt them in the short term, will be a fair deal probably even if he doesn't hit his top potential based on how the cap is trending. Also wouldn't show much confidence in him if they forced him into a bridge deal. They have a core to build around, each plays a distinctly different role.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pomee and Demigod11

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
hahaha this sounds like the leafs trying to force dion phaneuf to be their #1 RHD defender and captain lol
habs have a few of these contracts
will be fun watching this go=ing forward
suzuki 8mil for covid playoff run
this guy gets 8 for 20 goals on a decent 2nd half of the season I guess and Canfield get paid for scoring a few power play goals ...nice

at least our overpaid players are top of the league in scoring every year
Canfield? Cole had 28 goals and 65 points last year. That was not on the back of pp success.

Slaf 50 points in his second season and second year in NA. There's no looming contract negotiations. It's done. It might take a couple of years for him to fully get up to what you might expect for $7.6 million, but it's not a big hedge to expect that he'll be exceeding the value of the contract well before the end of it. No one does bridge deals for integral pieces anymore (if at all). You pay more in the end.

I think you've had too many doubles - Dions and whiskeys.

Risky, but necessary.

Locking up a young player long-term early could setback the team. Yet, if he develops this would be a steal of a contract. HABs are still a very young team and just completed an incredible draft with more youth being added. Even if the team continues to struggle for the next few years, he'll only get better. Later half of the contract (if develops) might be a huge bargain.
I think it's a reasonable hedge. Expecting that his production will exceed the value of the contract within a couple of years is not a big reach.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I really don't see this as risky at all like some posters are claiming in here. The 2nd half of the season he looked like an 8+ million dollar player. In 2-3 years this will be a top 5 contract in the league.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So many people here doesn't seem to realize he still have 1 year of ELC. This contract only kicks in for the 2025-2026 season. At which point the cap will be close to 95M. That's 8% of the cap, and by the time the contract ends it will most likely be 5% (equivalent to under 5M on today's cap).

Even if he doesn't improve at all that contract will be fair for the full duration. As long as he doesn't regress, that contract is fine. If he progress, which would be the most likely scenario since last season was his 19yo season, it will be an amazing deal.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Seriously, People forget that his next contract start in 2025-2026 season. He will still be on his rookie contract next season. The salary cap is also going up. His contract will be a steal in 3 years (after cap going up).
I think that even if it started next year it's probably going to be a good value contract so even better for the Habs.

Reactions: waitin425

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not surprised they gave him 8 years, Montreal still has ptsd after Carolina stole their 3rd overall pick.

Probably a factor. Although in this case I doubt anyone was offering this much.

Pretty crazy deal. Hope for the best and fear the worst type of deal.

I do hope it works out for Slaf. He had rough start for his NHL career and all the pressure in the world. He did well last season and showed he can take the pressure, massive step in development.

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
It’s a market where 30 yo, 6’1’’, 45 pt winger Jake Debrusk gets 5.5M for 7 years… how anyone can be outraged by the small gamble that was done on the early contract is very confusing. Given the physical and mind tools of this guy I think it’s perfect. It also tells a story about his commitment to this leadership group with a will to enter the salary structure in place and just focus on hockey.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Smart move IMO... reminds me of the Drai contract. A lot of us Oil fans (ok me) were bitchy about that one and now it's a value contract! Hoping for something similar here.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is the way the nhl works now, teams bet on their young guys for long term at what could be a bargain aav. Anyone dissing this is just dumb and not with the times.

I think part of that has to did with buyout rules. If it doesn't work out, the buyout hit is 1/3 under the age of 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad