Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think

it is more likely Lou signs Nelson than trades him. Palmieri might be moved at the trade deadline depending on the standings.
Yeah, Nelson will be signed to fat, long term deal that makes everybody want to cry.

I really think Lou has something special up his sleeve with a deal like this. Why on earth make this deal now, unless something's up? We have a great number of players to unload, but they all have NTCs, so it's gonna be interesting to see what he can come up with. I don not, for one second, believe Lou is replenshing the cupboard.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yeah, Nelson will be signed to fat, long term deal that makes everybody want to cry.

I really think Lou has something special up his sleeve with a deal like this. Why on earth make this deal now, unless something's up? We have a great number of players to unload, but they all have NTCs, so it's gonna be interesting to see what he can come up with. I don not, for one second, believe Lou is replenshing the cupboard.

Yep, hard to imagine that Lou gained an extra top 65 pick in order to actually select another body.

He traditionally trades picks to immediately help the current team or help the cap situation.

He also gives his staff an average of 5 picks to work with every June.

We're at 6 now.

His trend to date and the situation the team is in (i.e. the definition of mediocre and floating in no-man's land while heading into a first full year with Roy behind the bench) would indicate that at least one of these top 65 picks will be used in a deal to, as mentioned above, help the immediate team or help alleviate cap challenges.

Would be shocked to see anything else!

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
It just seems like the writing on the wall that Pagaeu and one of the 2nd rounders are going in some sort of deal. I hope it to acquire someone, not to just offset his salary.

Just make sense since MacLean will be our 4th line center and Casey proved that he still has some life left by being moved up towards the end of the year. That he can center the 3rd line.

I don't see anyway Lou is moving Nelson, Parms and Lee. At least not this year.

To be honest, the ones I really want moved off this roster this year is Engvall and Mayfield.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It just seems like the writing on the wall that Pagaeu and one of the 2nd rounders are going in some sort of deal. I hope it to acquire someone, not to just offset his salary.

Just make sense since MacLean will be our 4th line center and Casey proved that he still has some life left by being moved up towards the end of the year. That he can center the 3rd line.

I don't see anyway Lou is moving Nelson, Parms and Lee. At least not this year.

To be honest, the ones I really want moved off this roster this year is Engvall and Mayfield.
Both are still quality players. Pierre 100% played his ass off with Roy, so I liked that at least. Mayfield is a TBD, but he should be fine fully healed.

Reactions: iggy

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1716744542499.png

Pagnotta is honestly gonna be nails on with this. I think the islanders arent done yet, and they definitely want to move on from one of JGP/Pulock/Lee.

Also Nik Ehlers would be a slam dunk if they add bottom 6 pieces as well like a Trenin or Lomberg. Lamoriello has a lot on his plate.

Reactions: xECK29x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
View attachment 875979
Pagnotta is honestly gonna be nails on with this. I think the islanders arent done yet, and they definitely want to move on from one of JGP/Pulock/Lee.

Also Nik Ehlers would be a slam dunk if they add bottom 6 pieces as well like a Trenin or Lomberg. Lamoriello has a lot on his plate.
Ehlers won't be acquired unless he's willing to sign a long term deal shortly after (a la Horvat).

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I’m wondering if Lou also would look at Pinto. RFA for Ottawa. Had the negative attention last year. There was interest in Pageau, obviously would be a ++ situation. But he could play 3C and gives you a future 2C if Nelson is later traded.

Reactions: Lights911 and beach

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
View attachment 875979

I'd rather move on from Pelly than Pulock.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
[NYI/OTT] 2024 1st + Holmstrom + Pageau for Pinto
[NYI/UTH] 2024 2nd + 2025 3rd + Lee for Future Considerations

Sign DeBrusk 5.83M x 6
Sign Amadio 3M x 4
Sign Nosek 900K x 1
Re-sign Reilly 2M x 2

DeBrusk-Horvat-Barzal
Nelson-Pinto-Palmieri
MacLean-Amadio-Engvall
Nosek-Cizikas-Tsyplakov

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I’m wondering if Lou also would look at Pinto. RFA for Ottawa. Had the negative attention last year. There was interest in Pageau, obviously would be a ++ situation. But he could play 3C and gives you a future 2C if Nelson is later traded.
Why would Ottawa do this? Pinto put up solid numbers, has room to grow, and can sign a cheap bridge deal. Pageau is an aging downgrade and I’m sure the ++ are assets that don’t make up for the downgrade at a premium position.

“Negative attention” was a stupid mistake that you hope won’t be repeated but that doesn’t mean they’re going to do us a favor because he grew up on Long Island.

Reactions: MJF

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
[NYI/OTT] 2024 1st + Holmstrom + Pageau for Pinto
[NYI/UTH] 2024 2nd + 2025 3rd + Lee for Future Considerations

Sign DeBrusk 5.83M x 6
Sign Amadio 3M x 4
Sign Nosek 900K x 1
Re-sign Reilly 2M x 2

DeBrusk-Horvat-Barzal
Nelson-Pinto-Palmieri
MacLean-Amadio-Engvall
Nosek-Cizikas-Tsyplakov
Seems like way too much for Pinto, no? We can probably shed Pageau by attaching a 2nd and trade the 1st for a player better than Pinto, all while keeping Holmstrom.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Why would Ottawa do this? Pinto put up solid numbers, has room to grow, and can sign a cheap bridge deal. Pageau is an aging downgrade and I’m sure the ++ are assets that don’t make up for the downgrade at a premium position.

“Negative attention” was a stupid mistake that you hope won’t be repeated but that doesn’t mean they’re going to do us a favor because he grew up on Long Island.
I wasn’t considering the ‘negative attention’ comment would mean there would be a discount. If anything, I’d be concerned if Lou had an issue with it. It was a stupid mistake.

As for why they would do it? I don’t know, but there was smoke last season. Pinto played last season on his qualifying offer after the suspension because they couldn’t agree to a bridge deal. Any friction from that?

Asset wise? I didn’t put a proposal together, ++ can be adjusted to whatever is realistic.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
View attachment 875979

Pagnotta just makes stuff up by reading places like this.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think this depends on the relationship between pinto and sens . If he's given them any indication he's interested in signing long term with them he's not going anywhere . If he's asking for too much and shorter term they might see that as someone unwilling to stick around and could shop . I think both sides have gotten over the gambling suspension .

Reactions: JJ18Sniper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad