Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
"completely cooked"

Fast? He was injured or just age creeping up?
EDIT: Sorry for any confusion, was referring to the possibility of grabbing JVR

1722622200241.png

1722622261904.png

1722622267647.png

1722622339513.png

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Barring the of course, inevitable Laine to CAR trade, there are some interesting PTO candidates out there at LW:

-Kubalik
-Vrana
-Zadina
-JVR
-Pacioretty?

JVR and Pacioretty are probably cooked and Vrana has issues.

Kubalik is interesting and played with Necas some at the WC I believe, but man, he’s fallen off a cliff.

Zadina would be intriguing.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised with the Canes giving at least one of these guys the preseason to prove the’re a better LW option than Nadeau, at least for 1 more season.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
More offseason boredom and speculation…

Dylan Holloway might be an interesting offer sheet candidate. Same age, same draft as Jarvis, good size.

Might put the Oilers in a real bind by offering a 1yr deal between $2.29 -$4.58M (2nd rd pick compensation). I bet they’d still match, but still would put a lot of pressure on them, especially with Broberg still to sign as well.

Might not have the space to OS Holloway after signing Jarvis, but not as if we haven’t seen a late August offer sheet before…

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Dylan Holloway might be an interesting offer sheet candidate. Same age, same draft as Jarvis, good size.

Might put the Oilers in a real bind by offering a 1yr deal between $2.29 -$4.58M (2nd rd pick compensation). I bet they’d still match, but still would put a lot of pressure on them, especially with Broberg still to sign as well.

Might not have the space to OS Holloway after signing Jarvis, but not as if we haven’t seen a late August offer sheet before…
i wish the league was cool enough to do more of this. i dont see it. Like last season, OS Laf or Bouchard made a ton of sense for us and other teams. didnt happen though

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
i wish the league was cool enough to do more of this. i dont see it. Like last season, OS Laf or Bouchard made a ton of sense for us and other teams. didnt happen though
It's definitely a fear of retribution, along with a player actually wanting to potentially leave. Aho just wanted the 5 year deal and to be done with it. Kotkaniemi wanted out.

People wonder about Jarvis as an OS target but I've seen reports he wants to stay; just working out the contract details.

I don't think Holloway or Bouchard necessarily want out, but I'm surprised Laf didn't get approached by someone who could offer him a bigger role.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Unless you REALLY REALLY think he's going to break-out next year he's pretty much a tweener player right now, not worth nearly that much money or 2nd round pick compensation. Plus Jarvis will likely take up most of our remaining space and what little is leftover will be to build up space for deadline or if something falls in our lap during the season (i.e. Nino for Rask)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
will Nadeau's and FUS' contract slide eligibility play into Blake getting the roster nod over them? slightly kidding

yea i know FUS almost made it last year but we didnt have blake or Trikizov as options.
I thought headed into the off season that FUS had a great shot at the would be spot but after I saw Blake’s muscle mass he put on and heard Abbott mention how FUS has to put on weight im flip flopping the two. I don’t think Nadeau has the strength yet either to be honest. I think it’s one of them vs Suzuki so my constantly changing guess is Blake as of today.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
IMO, the issue with Blake making the roster isn’t size or muscle density. It’s if he can play the system and get enough reps to figure out how to adapt what he does really well to how we play. He didn’t look good at all in his game at the end of the season. Only one game, but it was not a case of him grabbing his shot and forcing his way into the conversation.

Nadeau by comparison played suuuuuper simple, north/south and he looked like someone who knew what our system was supposed to look like. He didn’t try to improvise and his simple approach got him into some positive spots in the slot and o zone so he could try to flash his best asset, his shot and quick release.

Looking forward to seeing them in more action. Happy to be proven a complete idiot and have Blake force the team to keep him up with a great camp….

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
IMO, the issue with Blake making the roster isn’t size or muscle density. It’s if he can play the system and get enough reps to figure out how to adapt what he does really well to how we play. He didn’t look good at all in his game at the end of the season. Only one game, but it was not a case of him grabbing his shot and forcing his way into the conversation.

Nadeau by comparison played suuuuuper simple, north/south and he looked like someone who knew what our system was supposed to look like. He didn’t try to improvise and his simple approach got him into some positive spots in the slot and o zone so he could try to flash his best asset, his shot and quick release.

Looking forward to seeing them in more action. Happy to be proven a complete idiot and have Blake force the team to keep him up with a great camp….

I'm 100% aligned with you on this. Blake, probably unfairly, got knocked down a peg in my book after his debut, specifically in comparison to Nadeau.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

not that I disagree based on how Nadeau looked in his game, but I also don't think much about guys jumping up from the NCAA level to the NHL for a throwaway game at the end of the year once the President's Trophy/Division #1 spot was decided. Minimal practice time to get going in our system before making an NHL debut. The kids are going to default to what they're used to playing in that situation IMO. And FWIW Maine in what I got to see of them last season was far more north-south game than UND in what I got to see of them. The prospects tourney, where they'll be playing our system, and training camp/pre-season games are going to be a lot more telling IMO.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Seriously? One game? None of them proved a thing about their game and there was nothing to glean from that. Nadeau was too anxious to do anything but shoot the second the puck came near him and Blake wasn't sure which direction to skate. Neither looked close, they both looked overwhelmed and it was fun to watch. No one made a case for themselves off that game, and none of them played the system. They spent half a week with the team....and it's a complicated system that takes vets half a season. The one thing holding all the new kids back entering the pro system is size and strength to play at the NHL level. Blake is older so a bit more physically mature and he's not only doing the work but his body is accepting it, with his coach that's a legit edge if he can play defense....but none of them seem ready so it's all just fun speculating. It's fine to say why you think one guy has the edge but it feels off base to negate another based on that throw away game. Suzuki is the most physically developed, has pro experience and has the most time in the system - if he's healthy and has a good camp he probably should be the first one given a shot and the fact he's been working his way up absolutely matters to his coach.

In that one game Blake was willing to try to be himself which deserves credit even if it was a fail and Nadeau was smart enough to get rid of the puck the second he got it. They needed to burn a year and was a fun throw away game. People thought Morrow was ready despite going -4 against a borderline AHL team. They've signed how many players....three or four.... in his way since? We signed extra forwards that pretty much negate the "need" to over promote one of the kids, so a part of me doubts there's actually a plan for a kid to make the squad. It most likely happens if they force their way onto the team like Jarvis. None of these guys seem like they'll be that good....but it's fun to speculate. A battle between one of the kids and Jost will make for interesting discussion.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
^^^^^
None of these guys seem like they'll be that good”

Too early to be bearish about the three players (agree with much of what you wrote though).

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
^^^^^
None of these guys seem like they'll be that good”

Too early to be bearish about the three players (agree with much of what you wrote though).
In comparison to Jarvis. I think they’re great prospects and all of them have a chance. I was saying I don’t expect any of these guys to be like Jarvis in his rookie year.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
In comparison to Jarvis. I think they’re great prospects and all of them have a chance. I was saying I don’t expect any of these guys to be like Jarvis in his rookie year.
If that's the case, why not just go ahead and kill them all right now? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
We didn’t expect Jarvis to be Jarvis his rookie year either, in part because he only had 9 games above Covid era WHL when he made the Canes.

Either of these two making the team out of camp and contributing regularly would be a big step.

And if one of the kids does make the team there is a top 6 spot for the taking: Svech, Jarvis, Necas, Aho. There’s a wing spot open in the top 6; two if Rod lets Jarvis or Necas try their hand at C.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We didn’t expect Jarvis to be Jarvis his rookie year either, in part because he only had 9 games above Covid era WHL when he made the Canes.

Either of these two making the team out of camp and contributing regularly would be a big step.

And if one of the kids does make the team there is a top 6 spot for the taking: Svech, Jarvis, Necas, Aho. There’s a wing spot open in the top 6; two if Rod lets Jarvis or Necas try their hand at C.
True, but Jarvis was a 13th OA pick who was 2nd in the whole WHL in scoring as a 17 year old.

Blake was a 4th rounder and as a 17 year old was in the USHL and was the 14th leading scorer...on his team.

Nadeau was a 30th OA pick and was the leading scorer in the BCHL. As an 18 year old, was the 16th leading scorer in NCAA.

I'm by no means saying that one of these guys can't make the jump, it's just a bit of apples and oranges compared to Jarvis. It would be great if one of them (or Suzuki)did make the jump though as it would provide flexibility like you mentioned.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Ryan Suzuki is the guy I'm watching closely at camp. He can play both center and wing, is a left shot, and he came on pretty strong at the end of the year. He seemed to finally be healthy. And that's the caveat, can he stay healthy.

He's a good skater, has great vision, and a pretty darn good shot. Wonder if he's done the work this Summer to be prepared. One's got to believe that this season is a make or break one with the Canes.

The other interesting guy is Eric Robinson. While not a true banger, he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas. He's somewhat inaccurate with his shot, but he was at one time perceived to be a scorer. He's supposedly a pretty fast skater, especially for a big guy. I could easily see him as a 4th liner, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Roddy try to play him up a line or two.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

TBF if there's any guy that I feasibly could see being THAT GUY this year, it's FUS. Kid was good enough to make the team out of camp last year as the youngest player selected in that summers draft, but there wasn't an open roster spot to give.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Unless one of Necas, Jarvis or Roslovic plays C, the inn is pretty full on on the right side, even more so if Fast is cleared to play. I don’t see RBA allowing a rookie, right shot forward (FUS, Nadeau or Blake) to break in on their off side. So, Suzuki might have an inside track at a spot if he has a good camp. Also, he’s no longer exempt from waivers, so that may prompt them to want to keep him if they actually still see something there.

I still think they will invite a vet LW on a PTO, someone like JVR, Zadina, Kubalik, etc, before fully giving a spot to one of the prospects. I also expect one of Jost/Robinson to be waiver bait. I bet they think they might be able to pull something more out of Jost.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Unless one of Necas, Jarvis or Roslovic plays C, the inn is pretty full on on the right side, even more so if Fast is cleared to play. I don’t see RBA allowing a rookie, right shot forward (FUS, Nadeau or Blake) to break in on their off side. So, Suzuki might have an inside track at a spot if he has a good camp. Also, he’s no longer exempt from waivers, so that may prompt them to want to keep him if they actually still see something there.

I still think they will invite a vet LW on a PTO, someone like JVR, Zadina, Kubalik, etc, before fully giving a spot to one of the prospects. I also expect one of Jost/Robinson to be waiver bait. I bet they think they might be able to pull something more out of Jost.

Nadeau is a natural LW despite being a right shot. He IMO is the most likely young guy to make the team.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2