Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i was considering it a sign/trade
Possibly, but the reports said he wasn't interested in talking extension WITH CLB, so I don't think the Canes were planning on a sign and trade from what I could see.

Either way, it's all speculation so no sense crying over spilt milk.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Jets fans trying to dismiss that rumor. Not fun to think that the top two young assets in the organization just get you Martin Necas.

(Putting all the rumors together, he had underrated value IRL. The league likely understands the context behind his drop in point production in a way that the average internet fan can’t or doesn’t want to.)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
And we don't know:
1) it was 4th OA straight up for Necas. I suspect Carolina would have been adding more to that deal.
2) That Waddell didn't say something like "Only if this player isn't there when the pick comes", which is the player they drafted.

A lot of factors not really known.

After the fact Waddell said that they had Lindstrom rated #2 overall and that he was the prospect they were targeting. Don't know how much stock to put in that, especially since I'm the one who thought Waddell didn't look all that happy when they announced the pick. Could it be that he did want the trade, but after it fell through he wanted to pump Lindstrom up as much as possible? I dunno . . .

CBJ general manager and president of hockey operations Don Waddell said the team had him ranked second on their predraft list, even turning down a potential trade for the fourth overall choice once it was clear Lindstrom would be available.

“First of all, he’s a centerman, which they’re hard to come by – big centers that not only can score but very mean,” CBJ general manager and president of hockey operations Don Waddell said. “He plays a very hard (game). That skill set with that kind of temperament, it’s hard to go past those guys.”

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Am bored, so speculating in fantasy land…

Now that Necas and then Canes have settled prior to an arb hearing, when does the buyout window open…48 or 72hrs after settling?

I ought to start a Kotkaniemi buyout rumor on X and see how far it goes…

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Now that Necas and then Canes have settled prior to an arb hearing, when does the buyout window open…48 or 72hrs after settling?

The conflict between the side of me that says "Don't feed this" and the side that says "I know this one!" has been fought and decided:

"Teams may receive an additional Buyout window. If a team has a player go to arbitration and it is either settled or awarded, the team receives a new 48 hour buyout window beginning 3 days after the arbitration settlement or award. "

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

i dont believe we qualify. Neither Drury nor Necas had a arbitration hearing for a settlement or award to be had which is a requirement for the arb buyout window.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
i dont believe we qualify. Neither Drury nor Necas had a arbitration hearing for a settlement or award to be had which is a requirement for the arb buyout window.
Hmmm…pretty sure this came up last summer or summer before. I believe this is incorrect. Teams get a second buyout window regardless of actually going through the arb hearing. Timing depends on when a settlement is reached, either before or after hearing.

FYI, a recent link to lend some credence to the above:

No arb hearing for Wahlstrom, but they still evidently had a window

Just couldn’t recall if it was 48 or 72hrs after settlement

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Hmmm…pretty sure this came up last summer or summer before. I believe this is incorrect. Teams get a second buyout window regardless of actually going through the arb hearing. Timing depends on when a settlement is reached, either before or after hearing.

FYI, a recent link to lend some credence to the above:

No arb hearing for Wahlstrom, but they still evidently had a window

Just couldn’t recall if it was 48 or 72hrs after settlement
im not sure THN is right here.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I think they amended in the recent MOU that you can't anymore settle after the hearing.
yep

Salary Arbitration

• Salary Arbitration briefs shall be limited to: 1) 42 pages(exclusive of indices, glossaries, tables of contents, andexhibits), and 2) size 12-point Times New Roman font,double-spaced, one-inch margins (except charts, tables,headings, footnotes, citations)

.• A Salary Arbitration matter may not be settled after the hearing has commenced.

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
The SPC paragraph 13 says that the settlement of the last arbitration case opens the 2nd buyout window. So looks like the act of anyone filing for the Arb does automatically mean a 2nd window (unless team-elected and the player gets an offer sheet during the OS window):

(c) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as CBA Exhibit 20, with a copy to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows:
(i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and
(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m. New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this provision).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think they amended in the recent MOU that you can't anymore settle after the hearing.
By settlement I mean prior to arb hearing, I suppose anything after would be technically an “award”

That’s was irrelevant to what I’m saying though, regardless of a settlement prior to arbitration or an award of a contract after, my understanding is that teams are granted a buyout window a set amount of time after the settlement or the award. The buyout window is not dependent on whether or not an arb hearing occurs

The SPC paragraph 13 says that the settlement of the last arbitration case opens the 2nd buyout window. So looks like the act of anyone filing for the Arb does automatically mean a 2nd window (unless team-elected and the player gets an offer sheet):
Thanks, confirms my understanding

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Does anyone have any examples of late bloomers they can share to give us a glimmer of hope that Kokomiami may have another gear?
He has to want it. Aho should have sat him down by now and explained to him how the Canes operate; (required conditioning and commitment level to play Canes hockey). he looked tentative last season. Very easy to see why RBA gave up on him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He has to want it. Aho should have sat him down by now and explained to him how the Canes operate; (required conditioning and commitment level to play Canes hockey). he looked tentative last season. Very easy to see why RBA gave up on him.
On the flip side he’s much stronger on his skates and no longer falls down every time he has the lightest body contact with anyone. He looks much stronger overall so I think there’s been buy in, I think his confidence has taken a hit and he’s probably struggling with becoming a 40-50 checking center mentally when I’m sure he thinks he’s capable of more. Rod wants him to be Staal, KK seems to want to be a mix of Staal and Aho.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Depending on if the Jackets see Fast as potentially playable this year, I wonder if Columbus might be interested in him for a small pick. The Canes have Carrier to play Fast's role on the bottom-6 now, and depending on what Jarvis' 8 year contract comes to be, the Canes could use that extra $2.4M. Have a free-for-all in training camp to see which one of Jost/Suzuki/Nadeau/Blake/Unger Sorum/Veteran PTO wins the last spot in training camp (I could see the Canes giving JVR a PTO; he had a good season in Boston and is an OGWAC).

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Depending on if the Jackets see Fast as potentially playable this year, I wonder if Columbus might be interested in him for a small pick. The Canes have Carrier to play Fast's role on the bottom-6 now, and depending on what Jarvis' 8 year contract comes to be, the Canes could use that extra $2.4M. Have a free-for-all in training camp to see which one of Jost/Suzuki/Nadeau/Blake/Unger Sorum/Veteran PTO wins the last spot in training camp (I could see the Canes giving JVR a PTO; he had a good season in Boston and is an OGWAC).
He had a decent first HALF season..
from everything I've heard he was completely cooked the last half of the season and was pretty much useless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad