Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Boy this team is going to take a big step back this season.

Consistent goal scoring is now a big concern going forward, and only worse if Necas doesn't come back (and given how that's going, it's best for everyone involved if he doesn't). Defense is a downgrade. Oof, Tulsky needs to work some magic.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Boy this team is going to take a big step back this season.

Consistent goal scoring is now a big concern going forward, and only worse if Necas doesn't come back (and given how that's going, it's best for everyone involved if he doesn't). Defense is a downgrade. Oof, Tulsky needs to work some magic.
our defense just got better with Kuzy leaving. Im not sure how kuzy leaving even draws this overreaction. The guy was barely here.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
There was no guarantee he'd make our 2nd line, but would have been way above his competition on 4th line and had the potential to give us some missing skill on the 2nd. Without him, we really are a one-line team, and it's not even an elite one-line. We're either gonna have Martinook at 2LW or we're gonna be banking on a rookie with KK & Jarvis/Necas? Any injuries to our top 3 and it's a pretty grim outlook as far as scoring goes.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Strange move for Kuznetsov; doesn't he stand to make $7.8M this year with both the Caps and Canes paying him?
$2M signing bonus is presumably already paid. That leaves $6M in salary subject to agent fees, taxes, escrow, etc.. Probably closer to $3M in take home pay (just a guess). I suspect he can come close to that shortly in Russia (not sure about their tax situation).

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
And should this happen, it's going to complicate things next summer, as we'll have a cap penalty on the books

I'm talking about the 3 defensive pairs

That doesn't make sense, why would the Canes buy him out unless we really think Jarvis-Necas-Drury is going to put us over cap?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Saw someone posted a photo with him at RDU like two days ago.

Dang. I was really hoping he would come back reinvigorated and looking to earn a new nhl contract. I thought he was one of our best forwards in the playoffs. Oh well
Rod disagreed and benched him for that one game for Comtois. Still surprised it was Kuzy who he benched.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He was helpful in the Islanders series.

I mean it is what it is, he was never "the future" but I figured he'd be in shape enough to help with the offense, because it's going to be needed next season, and then we part ways next summer.

Talented guy, but hopefully this gets Jarvis his payday.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Rod disagreed and benched him for that one game for Comtois. Still surprised it was Kuzy who he benched.
I don't put much stock in that these days, he still plays favorites and scapegoats a lot. Just like when we've got a guy who scores a breakaway goal in-game and then he puts in Staal for the f***ing SO or some bullshit and NOT the guy who scored already.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Colorado still needs to clear cap space just to get a full roster, if they won't give us Rants, how about Lehkonen?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The only concern people had with the acquisition was the second year.

But with the way he worked, I wanted to see him this year after an off-season of training. Disappointing, I thought he could be a surprise contribution in one last year in the NHL.

I concluded I was wrong assuming that both Kotkaniemi and Kuznetsov wouldn't be here next season. I thought Kotkaniemi would be the one moved after the way the stretch run went for both, but it appears no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad