Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
I have a very good insider I met this weekend. This is how the conversation has gone.

Necas: "I'd like to be traded."
Canes: "Ok, but you need to sign an extension so we get a better return"
Necas: "Depends on the team, but after the season I just had, it's probably not in my best interest to sign a long term extension."
Canes: "Ok, then we want to keep you."
Necas: "Ok, I'm filing for arbitration."
Canes: "Ok, that's fine. We can work on a long term deal in the meantime and still keep working trades.
Necas: "Ok, that sounds good."
Canes: "We want to sign you to an 8 year deal."
Necas: "I don't think I want to sign for that long here in Carolina."
Canes: "What would it take?"
Necas: "I really don't want 8 years.
Canes: "Just tell us what it would take."
Necas: "Close to what Aho makes"
Canes: "LOL, we can't pay you that."
Necas: "OK, but I don't want to sign an 8 year deal so that's fine."
1720981967960.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So is the sticking point he wants out of Raleigh, or that he wants another UFA contract at 29/30?
According to my source, It's less about another UFA contract and more about the right fit.

He doesn't want to sign a long term deal in Raleigh at this time. He's willing to give it another try, but if it goes like this past season, he won't sign here long term under any circumstances. If things go better, he'd reconsider.

Same goes if he's traded. Unless he's confident it's a good fit at the time of the trade, he wants to see how it goes before committing long term at a new team. So some teams he would sign long term, some he wouldn't. Of course if someone throws insane money at him, that would be different, but he and his agent don't feel that's remotely likely.

My source didn't give me the list of teams though.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Still think there will be some sort of significant roster move made prior to training camp, but am rather bored, so a shot at lines with current roster, assuming no other moves other than signing the 3 RFAs.

Kotkaniemi-Aho-Necas
Svechnikov-Kuznetsov-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Robinson
Carrier-Drury-Blake/Unger Sorum/Nadeau
One of Jost/Lemieux as the 13th F

Fast on LTIR

Kotkaniemi with Necas and Aho cause I have no idea where else to put him

PP1 - Aho-Svechnikov-Jarvis-Necas-Gostisbehere

PP2 - who cares, never let PP1 off the ice

Reactions: Daeavorn

Satzmann666

Jul 14, 2024
Still think there will be some sort of significant roster move made prior to training camp, but am rather bored, so a shot at lines with current roster, assuming no other moves other than signing the 3 RFAs.

Kotkaniemi-Aho-Necas
Svechnikov-Kuznetsov-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Robinson
Carrier-Drury-Blake/Unger Sorum/Nadeau
One of Jost/Lemieux as the 13th F

Fast on LTIR

Kotkaniemi with Necas and Aho cause I have no idea where else to put him

PP1 - Aho-Svechnikov-Jarvis-Necas-Gostisbehere

PP2 - who cares, never let PP1 off the ice
You are missing Roslovic in your lineup. I doubt they signed him to play in Chicago.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I like Nachos would like him to stay, outside of playing center what does he want? I mean he got a little under 2 minutes less TOI than Aho but Aho out scored him by 30 ish points.

Rod has been pretty adamant about not numbering lines and he gives guys that play, time. Marty got that. The lower level guys were getting 12 minutes per game he was getting 17.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I like Nachos would like him to stay, outside of playing center what does he want? I mean he got a little under 2 minutes less TOI than Aho but Aho out scored him by 30 ish points.

Rod has been pretty adamant about not numbering lines and he gives guys that play, time. Marty got that. The lower level guys were getting 12 minutes per game he was getting 17.

I get the feeling that Necas wants to be THE star player on a team. In Carolina, he’s at least the 3rd string, maybe 4th, in that pecking order. If he were #1 or #2, I get the feeling he’d be much happier.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

In fairness. 5v5 Aho outscored him by 7 points in the same TOI.
Aho's top line mates were Jarvis, TT and Svechnikov (and later in the season Guentzel.
Necas's top line mates were Drury, Bunting and Kotkaniemi.

Secondly, Aho was on the first PP unit and Necas spent much of the time on the 2nd so Aho was getting almost 1 min. more per game on the PP than Necas. That accounted for a 19 point difference.

Add in that Aho had 7 more points than Necas against the EN

The 30 point difference is a bit misleading without investigating the factors underneath it. Clearly Aho is the superior player, no arguing that, just that there's more to it.

Kinda. But when you look at quality of line mates, which PP unit and PP time, and time against the EN, all TOI is not equal.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I get the feeling that Necas wants to be THE star player on a team. In Carolina, he’s at least the 3rd string, maybe 4th, in that pecking order. If he were #1 or #2, I get the feeling he’d be much happier.
I don't get that feeling at all. He was happy last year, but this past season, being stuck with Drury, KK and Bunting and on the 2nd PP unit all season, in a contract year, would frustrate many NHL players. Last year he had a lot of time with Svech and Aho, as well as more 1st PP time and put up 70+ points..

I'm not blaming Rod for the deployment, but he played with guys that weren't scorers and got 2nd PP unit in a contract year. I can see why he'd be upset. He certainly has holes in his game so shares some blame, but I completely disagree that he wants to be THE star. He wants to be in a situation where he gets more opportunities. Part of that is on him.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't get that feeling at all. He was happy last year, but this past season, being stuck with Drury, KK and Bunting and on the 2nd PP unit all season, in a contract year, would frustrate many NHL players. Last year he had a lot of time with Svech and Aho, as well as more 1st PP time and put up 70+ points..

I'm not blaming Rod for the deployment, but he played with guys that weren't scorers and got 2nd PP unit in a contract year. I can see why he'd be upset. He certainly has holes in his game so shares some blame, but I completely disagree that he wants to be THE star. He wants to be in a situation where he gets more opportunities. Part of that is on him.

You’re more connected to the info than I am, so I’ll take your word for it. Like I said, that was just my feelings on the situation.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
What really happened is that Jarvis took a step and became a top line winger, and really the second best forward on the team.

So you have Jarvis, Svech, Teravainen, Bunting and Necas as top 4 wingers. And if you someone who can carry scrubs on the bottom line, I think Necas was the best option. This was exacerbated when Bunting was replaced with Guentzel.

I don't think that kind of forward depth blocking guys will be a problem this year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The more we talk about it, the more I’m realizing that Necas has a lot of similarities to Skinner. Natural centers moved to wing, who wanted to play center, relegated to secondary scoring lines due mostly to defensive concerns and second powerplay lines due to being innefective turnover machines.

Guessing it ends the same way, Necas gets traded for Pu and goes off for a few years after being traded.

Either way, he’s interested in getting paid so its probably not happening here.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Who's gonna tell him he doesn't have "the man" level talent. Dont get me wrong i see him having a long very productive NHL career but I dont think he has more than 1 or 2 All star trips if any.

He's certainly not carry a team good.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Who's gonna tell him he doesn't have "the man" level talent. Dont get me wrong i see him having a long very productive NHL career but I dont think he has more than 1 or 2 All star trips if any.

He's certainly not carry a team good.
That's some fan's views of how he views himself, which doesn't mean it's actually how he views himself.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The more we talk about it, the more I’m realizing that Necas has a lot of similarities to Skinner. Natural centers moved to wing, who wanted to play center, relegated to secondary scoring lines due mostly to defensive concerns and second powerplay lines due to being innefective turnover machines.

Guessing it ends the same way, Necas gets traded for Pu and goes off for a few years after being traded.

Either way, he’s interested in getting paid so its probably not happening here.
So we get another Nikishin?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
According to my source, It's less about another UFA contract and more about the right fit.

He doesn't want to sign a long term deal in Raleigh at this time. He's willing to give it another try, but if it goes like this past season, he won't sign here long term under any circumstances. If things go better, he'd reconsider.

Same goes if he's traded. Unless he's confident it's a good fit at the time of the trade, he wants to see how it goes before committing long term at a new team. So some teams he would sign long term, some he wouldn't. Of course if someone throws insane money at him, that would be different, but he and his agent don't feel that's remotely likely.

My source didn't give me the list of teams though.

• Haha
Reactions: MinJaBen

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Saw this on Reddit, rumor that Kuzy is signing 4 yr deal with SKA once he sorts out contract issue with Canes.

Was coming here to post this, saw this, on X:

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Saw this on Reddit, rumor that Kuzy is signing 4 yr deal with SKA once he sorts out contract issue with Canes.

Tulsky wasn’t kidding when he said we’re counting on some of the younger guys to step up and make the roster.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We are trading Kuzy for Nikishin? /s

what a stupid trade it was. good we wont be paying him 3.9 next season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be fine if he stayed this year and I'd be fine if this is true and he left. He may have/might become a 2nd line quality player again, competely blown up, or anything in between, but I don't think our season particularly hinges on him or anything.

As far as the acquisition, he had some impactful games in the playoffs, so I appreciate that at the very least.

Ad

Ad

Ad