Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Hypothetical question. If Canes lock up Slavin & Skjei long term in the next 24hrs. So your top 4 left side is set for a while. Would you then consider trading Nikishin as a primary piece in a trade for a guy of Matthew Tkachuk caliber to get help at forward, if a guy slips out this offseason or next of that level?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hypothetical question. If Canes lock up Slavin & Skjei long term in the next 24hrs. So your top 4 left side is set for a while. Would you then consider trading Nikishin as a primary piece in a trade for a guy of Matthew Tkachuk caliber to get help at forward, if a guy slips out this offseason or next of that level?

1) that type of sweepstakes doesn’t seem to exist this year
2) as exciting as Nikishin is, he won’t be as valuable from a trade perspective as he can be until he actually does it in the NHL
3) otherwise yes the thought is good. If we sign both it’s very reasonable to consider Nikishin a luxury if it means a true gamechanger elsewhere.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Stammer is 34 and doesn’t turn 35 until mid year next season.

He definitely has slowed down in spite of having good numbers…..

Does he want to play until 40? Will he be able to play at a high level until 40? Is he motivated enough to stick it to Tampa every time we play them the next few years to help offset the way we can’t seem to beat them when we play them?

Do we want at least 3 decent years (hopefully) of Stammer with a slightly manipulated contract with an extra year or two to adjust the AAV down to our benefit? Or do we want to try to peel another center out of a different team?

If we stick a 5-6 year deal in front of him with the dollars laid out in a way that gets him his money in the first couple years, but leaves things open to give the team flexibility at the end to either LTIR or dump it to another team without much cost, or even just to buy it out at the end cheaply, then I say go for it….

If he truly was looking at 5 million AAV equivalent on the extended deal from Tampa, if we give him the equivalent of 7-8m in the first few years with a well structured overall deal, then we might beat the others and overcome this apparent hate everyone is posting about how no one wants to come play here, etc etc….

• Wow
Reactions: WreckingCrew

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Stunned that Coughlan was qualified but Comtois wasn't

Same. I honestly don't understand why Coghlan is still here. He's played in like 3 games in two seasons and honestly looked lost out there.

Man, what the hell happened to Zadina? He was such a promising looking player, but now even the Sharks are tossing him to the curb.

He didn't fill the opponents nets with pucks like he said he would.

Honestly I think he got a lot of undeserved hype at the draft. A few people were praising him as potentially being a Kucherov type of prospect.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It’s from shell shock on how the Canes FO whiffed on Gustav Forsling. That is why Coghlan still exists

I mean, if they think Coghlan is going to turn into Forsling, then I'm thinking about joining the front office.

Granted he sees little action, but when he does he looks lost. I think we'd be doing him a favor letting some other team take a crack at him.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Pinto offer sheet would be a waste of time with Ottawa matching anything realistic, but I could see him full on requesting a trade and trying to push his was out of there. We should be all over that if there’s an inkling he could be on the table.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Skjei is cool and a short term deal is fine

Some preferred LHD targets to get more offense:

1-2 years of Schmidt or Kylington
trade for Thrun or Vaakanianen.

Plenty of decent 1 year contract guys.
Vrana, Blackwell, Raddysh, a couple of others. Raddysh could be a decent Noesen replacement.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
My $0.02. It's less about downplaying the seriousness of it vs. saying "Wait til we see what the roster looks like before saying the sky is falling."
Very fair perspective.

I'll say that hopefully they can get a forward(s) that a lot of people don't really expect them to (realistically) get that's actually quite good.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Skjei is cool and a short term deal is fine

Some preferred LHD targets to get more offense:

1-2 years of Schmidt or Kylington
trade for Thrun or Vaakanianen.

Plenty of decent 1 year contract guys.
Vrana, Blackwell, Raddysh, a couple of others. Raddysh could be a decent Noesen replacement.

I like the OGWAC energy that would come from a Nate Schmidt signing. That's the direction I would go if we don't go three-deep with top-4 lefties with Skjei.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Reading the rumored Tanev numbers proves that a rising cap always equals Stupid Season on July 1st, especially when a particular player and playstyle is trendy. All these people coveting size because they want to be Dollar General Florida or Dollar Tree Rangers. Carolina would be apt to go in the complete opposite direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay