Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I can't express how much i hate this type of quote.

He believes they talked ullmark. Just his guess based on our goalie situation at the time - big stretch there. Doesn't know if it involved necas. No shit, motherf***er - you don't know if it involved ullmark either. All you know is they talked. What you 'believe' doesn't mean shit. Guesswork about a goalie is logical, so the listener buys in, then you throw out a 'hot' name for clicks - f*** you.
I think it's more likely the Canes talked about Debrusk.

Re Jarvis at c.

He may well be able to play the position but I'm not too fond of Aho and Jarvos as 1 and 2 c.

Makes the Canes too small down the middle and have an even harder time getting to the middle of the ice, especially in the POs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If the Canes aren't planning to buyout KK and have trade suitors for him, I wonder if they know exactly which UFAs and RFAs they want to keep and have determined that they don't truly need to create dead cap hits to dump any cap space. If they simply plan on retaining Jarvis, Drury, Guentzel, Skjei, and one of Chatfield/Martinook, they don't have to dump cap via KK by any means.

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've said for a couple of years now I'd easily keep Skjei over Pesce. I'd be pretty happy if things went that way, best wishes to Brett. I could live with Hronek in a Necas deal, but it'd certainly have to be at a reasonable extension number. Sure, the $8 million number is being thrown out, but he's not going to start out asking low. I could live with a deal to bring in Ullmark to replace Freddie, but not for Necas unless more is involved coming back to us. I'd hope we could do better in a Necas deal than either of those, but I think there are ways those could work out fine. I don't think it'd be shocking to see Koko get moved to another team. Even with the struggles this year, he looks like he could be an effective 3C, which we just can't easily offer. His price isn't crazy for that. I hope they find a way to get Guentzel locked up.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I wonder if the final extension number for Guentzel is around the 8x8M/yr number, maybe a little less or a little more. If the Guentzel camp is expecting offers around 7x9M/yr or 7x9.5M/yr, then an 8th year bringing the cap hit down to the 8M range isn't far off from market value.
8x8.5m has been my guess with a 6year NMC and 2year NTC at the end of it.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don't see the Canucks as a fair trade partner giving them KK & Necas.

They are not giving us Petey, Hughes, Boeser nor Demko (I'd give them Freddie+ for him though) and the balance of their available roster is meh (Joseph I like but he is a UFA).

1716576728793.png

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I don't see the Canucks as a fair trade partner giving them KK & Necas.

They are not giving us Petey, Hughes, Boeser nor Demko (I'd give them Freddie+ for him though) and the balance of their available roster is meh (Joseph I like but he is a UFA).

View attachment 875314

Tom Willander makes sense as a Necas centerpiece, but if they acquire him, they would likely need a stop-gap signing at RD for next season.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I don't see any chance Willander is on the table in a Necas deal.

Likely not, but my point is that any Necas trade should be focused on either established RHDs or RHD prospects. With Pesce likely leaving in UFA and Burns a retirement candidate after next season, they'll need one more guy at that position, along with Morrow, long-term.

Last edited:

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I think a Hronek paired with Slavin and given a bit more free reign to do the offensive stuff he did in Detroit would look a lot better than the Hronek tasked with the more defensive responsibilities being paired with Hughes.

I think if we do see a deal for him and Necas and we could get him signed at a more respectable 6.75-7.25 range everyone would be pleasantly surprised with what he’d bring.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think a Hronek paired with Slavin and given a bit more free reign to do the offensive stuff he did in Detroit would look a lot better than the Hronek tasked with the more defensive responsibilities being paired with Hughes.

I think if we do see a deal for him and Necas and we could get him signed at a more respectable 6.75-7.25 range everyone would be pleasantly surprised with what he’d bring.
So TDA with slightly better defense. The guy doesn’t do well net front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad